Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *

Please provide your email address

welcome to Rappler

Login

To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Use password?

Login with email

Reset password?

Please use the email you used to register and we will send you a link to reset your password

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue resetting your password. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

Join Move

How often would you like to pay?

Annual Subscription

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

welcome to Rappler+

welcome to Move

welcome to Move & Rappler+

CHR looks into police raid on Lumad bakwit school

The Commission on Human Rights-Central Visayas (CHR-7) launched an investigation into the recent police raid of a Lumad bakwit school on the University of San Carlos-Talamban campus.

According to CHR special investigator Leo Villarino, initial investigation began the afternoon of the arrest on Monday, February 15. 

"Right now we are conducting a follow-up investigation; our investigators are already deployed in the field," he said in a phone interview. 

Initial findings from the February 15 investigation included interviews with Lumad children during their time in Police Regional Office-7, and statements from parents. The initial report, Villarin said, had already been forwarded to the CHR Central Office.

CHR-7 investigators are conducting necessary follow-ups on Wednesday, February 17.

The 19 minors are now in custody of the Cebu City Department of Social Welfare and Development while the 7 arrested are awaiting inquest.

In the latest update to Cebu media, the National Union of People's Laywers- Cebu said they were informed that the inquest proceedings would take place Wednesday afternoon. 

This goes past the 36 hours maximum time to file charges against detained suspects arrested without warrant. – Rappler.com