A magnitude 5.7 earthquake hit Surigao del Sur early Friday afternoon, July 31, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said in a bulletin.
Phivolcs said the earthquake struck at 2:06 pm, east of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur. The earthquake, which was tectonic in origin, had a depth of 45 kilometers.
Phivolcs earlier reported it as a magnitude 5.8 earthuquake but later revised it to magnitude 5.7.
It was felt in the following areas:
- Intensity V – Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur
- Intensity IV – Bislig City, Surigao del Sur; Nabunturan and Mawab, Davao de Oro
- Intensity III – Tandag City, Maco, Maragusan, Davao de Oro; Manay and Mati, Davao Oriental; Davao City; Gingoog City and Magsaysay, Misamis Oriental
- Intensity II – Laak, Davao de Oro; Balingasag, Jasaan, Villanueva and Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental; Cagayan de Oro City; Quezon, Maramag, Valencia City, Malaybalay City, Cabanglasan, and Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon; Rosario, Agusan Del Sur
- Intensity I – Mambajao, Catarman and Sagay, Camiguin; Kalilangan and Pangantucan, Bukidnon
- Intensity III – Bislig City, Surigao del Sur
- Intensity II – Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental
- Intensity I – Surigao City, Cagayan de Oro City, Kidapawan City; Tupi, South Cotabato; Malungon and Alabel, Sarangani
Phivolcs said damage and aftershocks are expected. – Rappler.com