Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *

Please provide your email address

welcome to Rappler

Login

To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Use password?

Login with email

Reset password?

Please use the email you used to register and we will send you a link to reset your password

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue resetting your password. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

Join Move

How often would you like to pay?

Annual Subscription

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

welcome to Rappler+

welcome to Move

welcome to Move & Rappler+

No more arrests for curfew, quarantine violators in Cavite

Quarantine violators in Cavite, including those still out during curfew hours, will no longer be arrested and will only be warned and fined, the provincial police chief said on Wednesday, April 7.

Cavite police chief Colonel Marlon Santos said this in a pooled media interview in Camp Pantaleon Garcia on Wednesday, a few days after the death of curfew violator Darren Peñaredondo in General Trial City.

“To all Cavite police, my order is no arrest shall be made on violators of minimum health standards, to include violators of curfew. All we need to do to them is give them fair warning and remind them to follow the IATF guidelines. Again no arrest shall be made,” Santos said in a mix of English and Filipinos.

“‘Wag tayong maging pahirap sa tao (Let’s not be a burden to the people),” the Cavite police chief added. 

He said that violators would not have to render community service as well, and would just be “warned, fined,” and reminded of the government coronavirus task force guidelines.

Santos issued the order following the case of Peñaredondo, who died of a stroke in General Trias City on Saturday, April 3, a day after cops forced the 28-year-old to do 300 rounds of squats over a curfew violation.

General Trias police chief Lieutenant Colonel Marlo Nillo Solero had been relieved over the incident and reassigned to the Cavite police provincial headquarters in Imus, Cavite, pending the investigation of the case.

Solero had earlier denied the claim of Peñaredondo's family that he was ordered to do excessive physical exercises, but Santos said on Wednesday that two of those who were arrested with Peñaredondo confirmed the family's claim in handwritten sworn statements.

When asked, Santos said they were waiting for Peñaredondo's family to file criminal complaints against the cops involved.

In May 2020, General Trias cops allegedly mauled a curfew violator – 30-year-old factory worker Ronald Campo. Before he was reportedly beaten black and blue, he was also asked to do strenuous physical exercises. – Dennis Abrina/Rappler.com