The Philippines is the latest country to announce travel restrictions for persons coming from India, currently battling a deadly surge in COVID-19 cases.
Malacañang announced on Tuesday, April 27, that travelers from India or those with travel history that includes India will be prohibited from entering the Philippines for the next two weeks.
The restriction will take effect on Thursday, April 29.
“All travelers coming from India or those with travel history to India within the last fourteen (14) days preceding arrival shall be prohibited from entering the Philippines beginning 0001H of April 29, 2021, until May 14, 2021,” said Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque.
Meanwhile, persons who arrive in the Philippines from India before April 29 will still be allowed to enter the country but must complete a 14-day quarantine period in an accredited quarantine facility, regardless of COVID-19 swab test result.
The government decision comes after a meeting of the Inter-agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases earlier on Tuesday.
Around the same time, Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr said on Twitter that he supported such a travel ban in order to keep Filipinos safe.
India is contending with record-high COVID-19 transmissions thought to be driven by a new variant, B1617. – Rappler.com
Pia Ranada covers the Office of the President and Bangsamoro regional issues for Rappler. While helping out with desk duties, she also watches the environment sector and the local government of Quezon City. For tips or story suggestions, you can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.