Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *
province *

why we ask about location

Please provide your email address

Login

To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

How often would you like to pay?

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

PH military aims to crush Abu Sayyaf, Maute Group in 6 months

MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has set an ambitious campaign plan that aims to crush local terror groups particularly the Abu Sayyaf and Maute Group in the next 6 months.

"The target of the Armed Forces chief of staff is [to finish them off in] the next 6 months. Let's see if we can do that in 6 months. It will be good. If not, we'll extend it until the end of the year," said Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Monday, January 9.

The Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) is notorious for its kidnap-for-ransom activities while the Maute Group is known for seeking to attract the support of foreign terrorist organization Islamic State (ISIS).

This is not the first time that the military vowed to crush the ASG under the Duterte administration. The first AFP chief appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte, retired general Ricardo Visaya, also pledged to defeat the ASG when he assumed command of the military in July 2016. (READ: AFP backs peace talks, will 'finish' Abu Sayyaf)

Under Visaya's short stint, the military deployed close to 8,000 troops to Sulu to run after the kidnap group. Yet, in November last year, the ASG kidnapped a German off Tawi-Tawi and dumped his slain companion – a woman – in Sulu.

The military said the ASG is still keeping at least 27 local and foreign hostages in Sulu.

Visaya's replacement, Armed Forces chief General Eduardo Año, said they will aim to rescue all of them.

Año, a former chief of military intelligence, said they have intensified intelligence operations while encourating communities to assist the government by reporting suspicious activities. 

The military, which is under the supervision of the Department of National Defense, just completed a new campaign plan to follow instructions from President Rodrigo Duterte. Development Support and Security Plan (DSSP) Kapayapaan promises to be tough on terrorists but supportive of peace talks with communist insurgents and Muslim rebels.

Without going into details, Lorenzana said there will be organizational changes and troop movements to allow a fresh approach to the problem that has plagued the country for decades. "We are going to do something new or innovative to finish this problem once and for all," said Lorenzana. 

Año said they will assess their accomplishments by June 2017. He expects the local terror groups to be "significantly defeated" by then.

"Campaign plans are assessed every 6 months so we're going to assess our accomplishments in June. We should have significantly defeated the Abu Sayyaf," Año said.  

"When we say we aim to significantly defeat the enemy, we mean we want to render them or their capabilities down to a very minimal level," Año added. – Rappler.com