Rappler's coverage of campaigns and elections in the Philippines.
Know the candidates, political parties, power brokers, watchdogs & the voters. This is your site for timely reports, comprehensive data, expert analyses, online conversations, and citizens' collaboration.
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Friday, February 22, issued warnings to more senatorial aspirants and party-list groups reported to have violated rules on posting campaign materials.
The latest notices brought to 4 the number of senatorial candidates who have been asked to take down either oversized or or inappropriately placed tarpaulins and posters.
Party-list organizations that were similarly notified now number 8, with some of them receiving such notice for the third time.
Some were identified through a notice released by the poll body’s law department, while some were announced by Comelec chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr via Twitter.
Those indicated in the February 22 notice of inappropriate posting of campaign materials were:
The law department said a poster of Hontiveros was found outside a Comelec-designated poster area in Dumaguete City.
“Our people on the ground are still locating and verifying it. It's quite difficult for us because the exact place wasn't identified in the notice,” Hontiveros told Rappler.
@risahontiveros Thank you ma'am! Pls call our Law Department for your queries.— Sixto Brillantes Jr. (@ChairBrillantes) February 22, 2013
Not included in the formal notice, but mentioned by the poll chief on Twitter, was independent senatorial bet Ed Hagedorn. His illegally-posted campaign material was said to have been spotted along Osmeña Boulevard in Makati City.
Hagedorn told Rappler that he was suprised by the news since the material was displayed at his headquarters. Nevertheless, he said he will have the poster removed.
@edwardhagedorn Salamat po!— Sixto Brillantes Jr. (@ChairBrillantes) February 22, 2013
Comelec Resolution 9615 states that campaign materials are allowed to be posted in the candidates' headquarters, except for "streamers not exceeding 3 feet by 8 feet in size displayed at the site and on the occasion of a public meeting or rally."
Before this, the Comelec had warned senatorial candidates Teodoro Casiño & Sonny Angara.
Brillantes announced more violators via Twitter:
We so far notified the ff party-list violators: BUHAY (3 notices); Kabataan (3); LPGMA (3); PBA; 1JAMg; PISTON; Anak Mindanao & Sanlakas.— Sixto Brillantes Jr. (@ChairBrillantes) February 22, 2013
Brillantes thanked the public for all reports they had sent to the poll body regarding campaign violations. He warned candidates of more notices in the coming days.
The candidates are given 3 days upon receipt of the notice to take down their unlawful campaign materials. Otherwise, the Comelec will initiate election offense charges against them, which may lead to their disqualification. – Rappler.com
Former Tagbilaran City mayor Dan Neri Lim is accused of working as a radio host while at the same ...
(UPDATED) Former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr will have to pay P66.02 million, while Vice President ...
Check these out to see results from:
Find your region and check out who's winning from the provincial, district, and municipal level.