PiliPinas 2016 Debate: Round 1 goes to Mar Roxas
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Liberal Party standard-bearer Manuel "Mar" Roxas II won Round 1 of the PiliPinas 2016: The Cagayan de Oro Presidential Debate on Sunday, February 21.
The debate – the first in a series being mounted by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and its media partners – was organized by GMA-7 and the Philippine Daily Inquirer.
Rappler editors judged the winner based on the following criteria:
- Truthfulness (values, consistency)
- Overall impact (vision, leadership, ability to articulate thoughts)
- Knowledge/facts on file
The editors adjudged the loser based on the following criteria:
- Inability to articulate thoughts, express vision and plans
- Inconsistency, lying, tentativeness, bluffing
- Lack of vision, leadership
Roxas also went on the offensive, attacking the other candidates – Poe's competence, Binay's alleged corruption, and the temper of Duterte. He was concise, straightforward, and did not mince words.
"Kung ihahambing natin ang pagpili ng pangulo sa sino ang magmamaneho sa ating mga anak sa araw-araw, kanino natin ipagkakatiwala? Sa taong may kaso, sa taong mainitin ang ulo, sa taong ngayon pa lang natututo magmaneho, o sa taong ni minsan hindi kayo ipinahamak?" he also said in his opening remarks.
(If we prepare choosing the president to who's driving our children every day, to whom do we entrust this to? To a person with a case, a person quick to lose his temper, a person only now just learning to drive, or a person who has never put you in danger?)
Roxas told Poe that the presidency is not an OJT for a candidate, alluding to her inexperience in government.
In Rappler's online voting, netizens chose Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte for all the 3 rounds. The second placer was either Santiago (round 1) or Roxas (rounds 2 and 3). Vice President Jejomar Binay was the consistent 5th placer, posting double-digit numbers. – Rappler.com
Editors' picks per round
- PiliPinas 2016 Debate: Round 1 goes to Mar Roxas
- PiliPinas 2016 Debate: Round 2 goes to Grace Poe
- PiliPinas 2016 Debate: Round 3 goes to Grace Poe
Netizens' picks per round
- On social media, Duterte wins Round 1 of the debate
- Duterte takes Round 2, Roxas is runner-up for netizens
- Consistent winner: Netizens say Duterte takes 3rd round of debate
Who won in the 2016 Philippine elections?
Check out the 2016 official election results through the link below:
- 2016 official election results for Presidential, Vice Presidential, Senatorial, and Party list elections
Check out the 2016 unofficial election results for the national and local races through the links below
- 2016 Philippine Presidential Elections
- 2016 Philippine Vice Presidential Elections
- 2016 Philippine Senatorial Elections
- 2016 Philippine Congressional Elections
- 2016 Party List Elections
- 2016 Philippine Local Elections