Duterte disagrees with Año bid to disqualify officials from 2019 polls – Roque
MANILA, Phiippines – President Rodrigo Duterte does not support the bid of Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Officer-in-Charge Eduardo Año to disqualify local officials from the 2019 elections due to the degradation of Boracay.
This was Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque's assertion on Thursday, October 4 during a Palace press briefing.
"Point well taken but the President is a lawyer. He knows they cannot be disqualified unless they have been convicted with finality and the accessory penalty of disqualification from office has been decreed by the court," said Roque.
Año had earlier said he plans to recommend to the Commission on Elections the disqualification of 17 local government officials from running in the midterm elections.
The DILG has filed criminal and administrative complaints against these local executives for allegedly neglecting the care for the island paradise.
A graft complaint was filed against the following:
- Malay Mayor Ciceron Cawaling
- Aklan environment officer Valentin Talabero
- Malay environment officer Edgardo Sancho
- Malay municipal licensing officer Jen Salsona
- Barangay Yapak Chairman Hector Casidsid
- Barangay Manocmanoc Chairperson Chona Gabay
- Barangay Balabag Chairperson Lilibeth Sacapaño
The following officials, meanwhile, are the subject of an administrative complaint:
- Aklan Governor Florencio Miraflores
- Malay Vice Mayor Abram Sualog
- Malay council members Natalie Cawaling-Paderes, Jupiter Gallenero, Frolibar Bautista, Llopyd Maming, Dalidig Sumndad, Maylynn Aguirre-Graf, Danilo Delos Santos, and Dante Pagsuguiron
It was Duterte who ordered Boracay's 6-month closure, supposedly for the rehabilitation of the island. (READ: INSIDE STORY: How Duterte decided on Boracay closure)
The island is set to re-open on October 26. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As a bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.