LIST: Local bets who filed COCs on Day 2, October 12
MANILA, Philippines – Presidential son and former Davao City vice mayor Paolo Duterte was among the hopefuls who filed their certificates of candidacy (COC) for local positions in the May 2019 midterm elections.
He is running for congressman of the first district of Davao City.
Here are other notable COC filers in other areas around the country, as reported by Rappler and other news organizations.
Senator Francis Escudero filed his candidacy for governor of his home province Sorsogon in the Nationalist People's Coalition ticket. His staff says he remains an independent candidate.
Barcelona town Mayor Manuel Fortes Jr will be his vice governor.
Escudero cannot run for reelection anymore because he has already served two terms in the Senate.
Meanwhile, in Pampanga, former congressman Juan Miguel "Mikey" Arroyo seeks to replace his mother, House Speaker Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, in the 2nd district.
Speaker Arroyo, who is on her 3rd and final term as congresswoman, has said she will retire from politics in 2019.
Other COC filers:
- Albay: 2nd District Representative Joey Salceda – running for reelection (ABS-CBN News)
- Bacoor City, Cavite: Mayor Lani Mercado Revilla – running for reelection (DZMM)
- Catanduanes: former congressman Joseph Santiago – running for congressman (Manila Bulletin)
Actor and former Manila vice mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso resigned as undersecretary of the Department of Social Welfare and Development to mount a campaign back into city hall.
Domagoso filed his COC for Manila mayor on Friday, along with running mate, incumbent Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna, and reelectionist 3rd District Representative John Marvin "Yul Servo" Nieto, reported ABS-CBN News.
Other COC filers:
- Caloocan City: Mayor Oscar Malapitan – running for reelection (Manila Bulletin)
- Caloocan City: Vice Mayor Macario Asistio III – running for reelection (Manila Bulletin)
- Las Piñas City: Mayor Imelda Aguilar – running for reelection (Philippine Star)
- Las Piñas City: April Aguilar, daughter of Mayor Imelda – running for vice mayor (Philippine Star)
- Pasay City: Representative Imelda Calixto Rubiano – running for mayor (Philippine Star)
- Pasay City: Cesar Cuneta, brother of actress Sharon Cuneta – running for mayor (Manila Bulletin)
- Pasay City: Vice Mayor Noel del Rosario – running for reelection (Philippine Star)
- Pasay City: Mayor Antonino Calixto – running for congressman (Philippine Star)
It will be brother versus brother in the 5th district of Iloilo, as reelectionist congressman Raul Tupas will battle ex-representative Niel Tupas Jr, reported ABS-CBN News.
In Cebu, 3rd District Representative Gwendolyn Garcia filed her COC to become governor once again, reported CNN Philippines. In February, the Office of the Ombudsman dismissed Garcia for grave misconduct when she was governor in 2008, but Garcia remained in the House and appealed the Ombudsman's ruling.
Meanwhile, Maria Krista Piñol, daughter of Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol, filed her COC for board member of the 2nd provincial district of Cotabato, reported the Philippine Daily Inquirer. – Michael Bueza, with reports from Pia Ranada, Camille Elemia, and Mara Cepeda/Rappler.com