Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *

Please provide your email address

welcome to Rappler

Login

To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

How often would you like to pay?

Annual Subscription

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

welcome to Rappler+

Pork scam count: 2 detained, 20 posted bail

MANILA, Philippines – Only Senator Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr and his staff Richard Cambe have been detained so far. This is on the day a first batch of suspects related to the pork barrel scam was ordered arrested by the Sandiganbayan.

As of closing time of the Sandiganbayan offices at 4:30 pm on Friday, June 20, twenty of the 54 accused in the country's biggest corruption scandal in recent years have posted bail. The anti-graft court Sandiganbayan approved their temporary liberty.

Both Revilla and Cambe have been committed to the custody of the Philippine National Police and are detained in the custodial center in Camp Crame. Both voluntarily surrendered to the court.

Alleged scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles' children, whose arrests have yet to be ordered by the court, posted bail at P450,000 each. They are sure to be out of jail, ahead of the order to arrest them.

The two maintain their innocence, assigning guilt instead to "polluted" state witnesses, who named them in their testimonies as having participated in the siphoning of lawmakers' Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) to ghost projects of dubious non-governmental organizations linked to their mother. They each face 15 counts of graft. (READ: Napoles children slam 'polluted' witnesses)

Former Technology Resource Center director general Dennis Cunanan also secured his temporary liberty, after he was ordered arrested along with Revilla's co-accused.

Likewise, Budget Undersecretary Mario Relampagos' motion to reduce bail was granted. He paid P240,000 in cash, half the amount initially set by the court for his 42 counts of graft.

Not in charge of PDAF

In an interview, Cambe's lawyer Mike Ancheta said his client was just used as a scapegoat by the PDAF scam whistleblowers.

He reiterated that his client was simply Revilla's legislative staff and was not in charge of the disbursement of the senators' PDAF.

The PDAF is a lump sum allocated to lawmakers for their community development pet projects. It has since been declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, following the unraveling of the scam in 2013. 

List based on court records

As of 4:30 pm Friday, among those who posted bail are:

The Bureau of Immigration, on the other hand, said that only Ornopia and former TRC director general Antonio Ortiz have left the country. Travel records show they went abroad prior to the issuance of a hold departure order against them. – Rappler.com