Provide your email for confirmation

Tell us a bit about yourself

country *

Please provide your email address

welcome to Rappler

Login

To share your thoughts

Don't have an account?

Login with email

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue signing in. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Use password?

Login with email

Reset password?

Please use the email you used to register and we will send you a link to reset your password

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue resetting your password. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Sign up

Ready to get started

Already have an account?

Sign up with email

By signing up you agree to Rappler’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy

Check your inbox

We just sent a link to your inbox. Click the link to continue registering. Can’t find it? Check your spam & junk mail.

Didn't get a link?

Join Rappler+

Join Move

How often would you like to pay?

Annual Subscription

Monthly Subscription

Your payment was interrupted

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

Your payment didn’t go through

Exiting the registration flow at this point will mean you will loose your progress

welcome to Rappler+

welcome to Move

welcome to Move & Rappler+

Harry Roque, Duterte spokesman, tests positive for COVID-19

President Rodrigo Duterte's own spokesman tested positive for COVID-19.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque announced this on Monday, March 15, during his regular Malacañang press briefing.

He said he received his positive result at 11:29 am the same day.

"It came as a shock that after 35 tests, we came back positive," said Roque, who added that he is experiencing no symptoms.

The test that came back positive was the one administered to him on Sunday, March 14, in preparation for Roque's attendance to Duterte's public address set for Monday evening. Roque is a regular participant in these weekly meetings presided over by the President.

But the spokesman gave assurances that he has never been in close contact with Duterte despite attending these meetings.

"I had no close contact with the President, just from afar," said Roque.

He asked all those who he came into close contact with to go on quarantine.

His last public event as presidential spokesman was an event in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte, on Friday, March 12. 

Roque gave a press conference there and sat in the same table as Ilocos Norte Governor Matthew Marcos Manotoc and Vice Governor Cecilia Araneta Marcos.

Partly to assuage people who were in that event, Roque said he had gotten a negative COVID-19 test result a few days before, on Wednesday, March 10.

Roque joins a growing list of Duterte Cabinet members who have contracted SARS-CoV-2.

Previously, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, Public Works Secretary Mark Villar, and Education Secretary Leonor Briones had also gotten the coronavirus disease. – Rappler.com

Pia Ranada

Pia Ranada covers the Office of the President and Bangsamoro regional issues for Rappler. While helping out with desk duties, she also watches the environment sector and the local government of Quezon City. For tips or story suggestions, you can reach her at pia.ranada@rappler.com.

image