The Department of Education (DepEd) said on Monday, October 25, that five public schools from Calabarzon would join the pilot run of limited face-to-face classes in the country which is set to start on November 15.
At a press briefing on Monday, Education Secretary Leonor Briones presented updates on the implementation of limited face-to-face classes, noting 90 schools have so far been approved for the pilot run.
Calabarzon is located adjacent to virus epicenter Metro Manila. Meanwhile, no schools from the capital region have been included in the list so far. (READ: Will Metro Manila schools be allowed to hold limited face-to-face classes?)
Here are the Calabarzon schools:
- Lagmak Elementary School – General Nakar, Quezon
- Lumutan Elementary School – General Nakar, Quezon
- Dinigman Elementary School – General Nakar, Quezon
- Pablo Maningas National High School – Quezon, Quezon
- Tamulaya, National High School – Polillo, Quezon
Below is the regional breakdown of schools.
The DepEd was eyeing to complete the 120 schools for the pilot run prior to the November 15 schedule. Of the 120, 20 are private schools.
Briones said that the pilot run for private schools will start a week later, which is on November 22.
The education secretary said that one international school has already submitted its proposal for the conduct of limited face-to-face classes, which will be forwarded to the Department of Health (DOH) for risk assessment.
Weeks before the start of the pilot run, 29 public schools withdrew from the plan, as their host communities were not in favor of students going back to physical classrooms. These schools were part of the initial 59 list of schools in areas deemed low-risk for COVID-19 identified by the DepEd and DOH.
The pilot run of limited face-to-face classes will run for over two months, from November 15 to January 31.
For two pandemic school openings, students had to stay at home as they continued their education through the distance learning system, widely criticized for its poor implementation.
There has been an ongoing debate about opening schools during a pandemic. While most students and parents have been urging the government for a gradual reopening of schools, a number of them are also anxious about this move, considering the health risks involved.
Until the pilot run starts on November 15, the Philippines will remain one of the last two countries that have yet to reopen schools for in-person classes since the World Health Organization declared a pandemic in March 2020, with the other country being Venezuela. – Rappler.com
Read below related stories on the pilot run of limited face-to-face classes in the Philippines: