The Corona Trial: A year after
MANILA, Philippines - It's been exactly a year since the unprecedented trial of a Supreme Court magistrate. Filipinos watched the 44-day trial that ended with the conviction and removal from office of then Chief Justice Renato Corona.
Relive this period that shook the nation and imparted lessons on government transparency through these stories.
1. Corona Trial Journal
Each trial day was filled with drama and suspense. Revisit our daily journal of the trial
2. Charges against Corona
Many think the trial was simply about Corona's failure to declare his wealth. But he faced other charges as well. See the guide to the charges vs Corona
3. Corona's Wealth
Make sense of Corona’s unexplained wealth.
- Was Corona honest? Corona properties map
- Making financial sense of Corona’s wealth
- Making sense of the Coronas’ income
- Corona's dollar trades in 1960s were 'illegal'
- Basa-Guidote: Corona's double-edged sword
4. The Corona impeachment vote
Who voted guilty? Get to know the senator-judges and how they voted.
View the Corona trial through various lenses. Hear it straight from the following opinion pieces.
From our Thought Leaders:
- The impeachment vote in tweets: #CJonTrial
- The impeachment vote in tweets
- The impeachment vote in tweets: #CoronaTrial
- The myth of the moral man
- 8 lessons from the Corona impeachment trial
- It’s all over: Anatomy of a checkmate
- Enrile: 'We must all learn from this episode'
- The impeachment court's awesome power
- Corona Impeachment: 8 Markers of a Good Trial
- Post-Corona: Reflections of 8 men
- Decrowned: The fall of Renato Corona
From the community and social media:
- The impeachment aftermath
- How the online community reacted to Corona's conviction
- UP survey reflects Corona verdict
- CONVERSATIONS: What are your thoughts on the #CoronaTrial verdict?
- Fun online at Corona’s trial
- CONVERSATIONS: Does the #CoronaTrial matter to you?
- CONVERSATIONS: Waiver, walkout, what's next in the #CoronaTrial?
- CONVERSATIONS: What would you #AskCorona?
- It’s complicated: Ateneo students and the Corona trial
- #CoronaTrial Infographic
6. Video highlights
Various personalities added color to the courtroom drama. Watch them again here:
- Impeachment: Wah?
- 'We weren't there for blood' - Tupas #CoronaTrial
- Dean La Viña: It's the moment of truth
- Corona trial rewriting Enrile story?
- Basa-Guidote keeps Corona trial in suspense
- Prosecution continues cross examination of Atienza
- Defense examines former Manila Mayor Lito Atienza
- Miriam wants to clarify the terminology 'accept'
- Defense presents 11th witness, Benz Lim
- ‘What’s important is acquisition cost’
- Defense presents Rep Tiangco as 1st witness
- Arroyo: Like Erap trial, Senate hears what house impeaches
- Has Miriam met her match in prosecutor?
- Defense: No need to present evidence
- Private prosecutor cited in contempt
- The prosecution's bazooka
- Farinas is new deputy chief prosecutor
- Corona Trial spokesmen share a light moment
- Full interview with Ted Te: no clear theory for conduct of trial
- Impeachment trial: Here we go again
- #TalkThursday: Power and the future
- #TalkThursday: The defense in retrospect
- #TalkThursday: Prosecuting The Chief Justice
- #TalkThursday: Chel Diokno on Corona Trial
- #TalkThursday: Survey says...
- #TalkThursday: Impeachment then and now
7. Corona trial topics
Read related stories on key terms for the Corona Trial
- dollar accounts
- Conchita Carpio-Morales
- Kim Henares
- FASAP-PAL case
What do you remember most about the trial? - Rappler.com