Bookmark this page to watch and join the discussion live on Thursday, November 28, at 4 pm!
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines’ hosting of the 30th Southeast Asian Games 2019 is facing scrutiny after problems surfaced days ahead of its official opening on Saturday, November 30.
From rushed venues to subpar treatment of athletes and delegates, the public couldn’t help but call out the avoidable blunders given a huge budget for one of the region’s biggest sporting events. (LOOK: SEA Games 2019 mishaps likened to failed Fyre Festival)
On Thursday, November 28, the Newsbreak team will sit down to discuss the preparations for the SEA Games 2019 – what went wrong along the way, and the other questions in relation to the Philippine hosting of the biennial event.
Malacañang said President Rodrigo Duterte was “displeased” about the mishaps, and that he wants a probe to find out who is accountable for what happened.
Why did Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano lead the preparations? What happened to the budget? What’s the involvement of the Bases Conversion and Development Authority?
Watch the discussion live on Thursday, November 28, at 4 pm! – Rappler.com
MORE ON ‘NEWSBREAK CHATS’ IN 2019
- Newsbreak Chats November 2019: Where the Marcos vs Robredo electoral protest is headed
- Newsbreak Chats September 2019: How gov’t is handling the GCTA, BuCor mess
- Newsbreak Chats August 2019: The GCTA law, Cardema, Bikoy, and how laws can be twisted
- Newsbreak Chats July 2019: After Duterte’s SONA and Gem-Ver, what now?
- Newsbreak Chats June 2019: The highs and lows of the Duterte presidency
- Newsbreak Chats May 2019: Cebu killings, election-related violence
- Newsbreak Chats February 2019: Disinformation, elections, and Rappler cyber libel case
- Newsbreak Chats January 2019: Bangsamoro plebiscite, lowering age of criminal liability
- Newsbreak Chats December 2018: Top stories in 2018, what to expect in 2019
- Newsbreak Chats: Xi Jinping’s state visit, Rappler’s Fact Check Project
- Newsbreak Chats: Election fever, Cebu as ‘crime city’
- Newsbreak Chats: Trillanes’ amnesty revocation and arrest
- Newsbreak Chats: Rice crisis, Arroyo as House Speaker
- Newsbreak Chats: Marites Vitug on significance of ‘Rock Solid’
- Newsbreak Chats: Anti-tambay campaign, Duterte vs the Church
- Newsbreak Chats: Calida contracts, Cesar Montano, and PhilHealth
- Newsbreak Chats: Boracay closure, Kuwait OFWs, and disinformation
- Newsbreak Chats: Malacañang ban, quo warranto vs Sereno
- Newsbreak Chats: Navy frigates, Russian propaganda