FALSE: 'NDRRMC update' on Taal Alert Level 5
Claim: Claims circulating on social media on Monday, January 13, said that Taal Volcano is already at Alert Level 5.
Rappler received a number of social media posts that made this claim through email. Facebook's monitoring tool Claim Check also spotted this claim.
All the posts that make this claim have a similar copy and say that they got their information from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
Collectively, these posts have been shared more than 4,000 times as of posting.
The facts: NDRRMC did not release this update. As of January 13, 5 pm, Taal Volcano is still on Alert Level 4.
On the same day, NDRRMC issued a statement confirming that the volcano is still on Alert level 4.
In their statement, they asked Filipinos to rely only on official releases from the NDRRMC and the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) for announcements. – Vernise L Tantuco/Rappler.com
Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at email@example.com. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time.
More fact checks on the January 2020 Taal Volcano eruption:
- FALSE: 'Magnitude 7.8 earthquake on January 15' after Taal eruption
- PARTLY FALSE: Mayon Volcano status 'raised' to Alert Level 2
- PARTLY FALSE: Pacific Ring of Fire 'now active'
- FALSE: Kim Atienza, BBC 'reported about phone emitting radiation'
- FALSE: 'NDRRMC update' on Taal Alert Level 5
- FALSE: 'Photo' of Taal Volcano eruption