At a glance:
- Claim: Mainstream media did not report on the coast guard’s rescue operations in the flooded areas hit by Tropical Depression Auring (Dujuan).
- Rating: FALSE
- The facts: At least 3 mainstream media outlets reported on the Philippine Coast Guard’s (PCG)’s rescue operations thus far.
- Why we fact-checked this: The Facebook post claiming there was zero coverage of the rescue operations has at least 8,500 reactions, 5,500 shares, and 944 comments as of writing.
Showbiz Fanaticz posted a video on Monday, February 22, claiming no mainstream media outlets reported on the rescue operations by the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) at the height of Tropical Depression Auring (Dujuan). Auring peaked as a severe tropical storm, but made landfall as a tropical depression on Monday morning.
The video was titled, “VIRAL! AGAW BUHAY na PAGSAGIP ng COASTGUARD sa mga NASALANATA ni AURING, Hindi PINALABAS ng MEDIA!” (Viral! The Philippine Coast Guard’s life-threatening rescue operations during Tropical Depression Auring are not being reported by the media!)
The Facebook post was uploaded on February 22 and has had 8,500 reactions, 5,500 shares, and 944 comments as of writing.
Rappler posted an IN PHOTOS story on Sunday, February 21, covering Auring’s effects in Surigao del Sur. The story’s headline reads, “IN PHOTOS: Surigao del Sur flooded due to Tropical Storm Auring.”
Inquirer also posted about rescue operations in the province on the same day, under the headline “Coast Guard rescues people trapped by flooding in Auring-hit Surigao del Sur.”
Manila Bulletin’s story, posted on Monday, February 22, focuses on rescue operations in Cebu, with the headline “PCG evacuates over 300 residents in Cebu due to ‘Auring.’”
Showbiz Fanaticz has repeatedly uploaded videos containing false information. The YouTube channel recently claimed Sara Duterte and Lucy Torres-Gomez respectively confirmed their presidential and senatorial candidacies for the 2022 elections. – Gaby Baizas and Alois Isinika/Rappler.com
Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at email@example.com. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time.
More fact checks on YouTube channel Showbiz Fanaticz:
- FALSE: Fernando Zobel de Ayala shames opposition, sides with Duterte
- FALSE: Court junks ABS-CBN franchise renewal
- FALSE: Bongbong Marcos announced as new VP in September 2020
- FALSE: Supreme Court rejects PIRMA Kapamilya people’s initiative
- FALSE: COA runs after Robredo for P195 million unutilized funds
- FALSE: Supreme Court affirms ABS-CBN guilty, shuts down network
- FALSE: Sara Duterte declares presidential candidacy in January 2021
- FALSE: Lucy Torres confirms her senatorial candidacy