At a glance:
- Claim: Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio has officially declared her candidacy for the 2022 presidential election.
- Rating: FALSE
- The facts: Duterte-Carpio has not made an official announcement of her candidacy as of February 3. So far, the presidential daughter has expressed intent to run for president in 2034.
- Why we fact-checked this: The video containing this claim had over 160,000 views on YouTube as of writing.
A video uploaded on January 24 by YouTube channel Showbiz Fanaticz falsely said that Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio has officially declared she would run for president in the 2022 national elections.
The video was titled, “JUST IN: Mayor SARAH Duterte, OPISYAL ng KANDIDATO sa 2022 Presidential Election| LENI NAGULANTANG!!” (JUST IN: Mayor Sara Duterte now an official candidate for the 2022 presidential election, Leni [Robredo] startled!)
This is false. As of February 3, Duterte-Carpio has not made any official announcement related to the 2022 presidential election. She has, however, expressed intent to run for president in 2034.
Responding to supporters who want her to run in 2022, Duterte-Carpio said in an interview with ABS-CBN News on January 31, “I am pleading to them to please allow me to run for President [in] 2034 if at that time there is something I can do to help the country.”
Duterte-Carpio led Pulse Asia’s possible 2022 presidential bets poll released on December 31. Despite this, the presidential daughter has repeatedly said she has no intention to run for president in 2022, but many have reacted to her denial with skepticism because this was the same political tactic used by her father, President Rodrigo Duterte, before he formally announced his candidacy in 2015.
Still, several groups called for Duterte-Carpio’s presidential candidacy in 2022. In Quezon City, her supporters distributed calendars with the caption, “Run Sara, Run for President 2022.” There were also simultaneous motorcades in the Ilocos Region that urged her to run for president next year.
Duterte-Carpio thanked her supporters and said that she’s grateful for their trust and confidence, but she also warned the public not to give financial contributions to groups claiming to raise funds for her alleged candidacy next year. “I did not consent to this…. This is a scam or a form of fraud,” she said in Filipino.
Meanwhile, Duterte earlier said that he asked his daughter not to run because he “would pity her” if she goes through what he has experienced as president.
The false video had 163,177 views on YouTube as of writing. It was spotted via social media monitoring tool CrowdTangle.
Showbiz Fanaticz has repeatedly uploaded videos containing false information in the past. In January, it falsely said that tycoon Fernando Zobel de Ayala shamed members of the opposition in a virtual briefing. The channel also falsely claimed in September 2020 that former senator Bongbong Marcos was the new vice president of the Philippines. – Pauline Macaraeg/Rappler.com
Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time.