Corona verdict out on May 31?
MANILA, Philippines - After a much-needed break, the Corona trial resumed Monday, May 7, and it looks like all parties are now eager to just put an end to it. Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile himself set the tone when he told media Sunday that he will do everything possible to end the trial by the last week of May.
We have it on good authority that at the senators' caucus on Monday, there was tacit agreement among the judges that the court would hand down its verdict on impeached Chief Justice Renato Corona on May 31.
That's 18 trial days to go - we hope. Ah, what a long break can do. - Rappler.com
No more Mr Nice Brod
For the first time ever, Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile blows his top at his fratmate and fellow octogenarian, lead defense counsel Serafin Cuevas. The two legal luminaries have always been gracious toward each other but the long-drawn trial is wearing Enrile's patience thin.
During the resumption of the trial on Monday, May 7, Enrile wasn't pleased with the way Cuevas responded to senators' manifestation that the defense stop presenting irrelevant witnesses.
Instead of amateur prosecutors, it was the veteran litigator that drew Enrile's ire this time.
He told Cuevas, "We are quite disappointed that the people you brought here were supposed to testify on the collection of fees. What has that got to do with the trial?"
When Cuevas replied that it was about due process, Enrile zinged, "Don't lecture us about due process. We are equally aware of our obligation to observe due process ..... If you think there is no prima facie case presented here in court, that is your problem."
Is this the end of geriatric courtesy as we know it? - Rappler.com
On way out?
MANILA, Philippines - Remember the leaked letter of Vice President Jejomar to President Benigno Aquino III in which he asked the latter to approve the plea bargain deal between the Ombudsman and disgraced military comptroller Carlos Garcia (Rappler had an exclusive story about it.)?
The story has one apparent casualty.
One source tells us that the President conducted a quiet probe on how the letter reached Rappler. And that there's one suspect, a senior Palace official, who is said to be on his/her way out. As former President Fidel Ramos would say, abangan! - Rappler.com
Click on the links below for more stories.
- Was Corona honest?
- Corona triples wealth while in SC
- Corona has $10-M bank deposits—Ombudsman
- Is Corona contradicting self in SALNs?
- Corona had P20-M in 2010, bank exec says
- Secrecy in foreign bank accounts
Inside Track is Rappler's intelligencer on people, events, places and everything of public interest. It's a take-off from Newsbreak's Inside Track section. Contributions are most welcome. Just send bits of information to email@example.com.
Newsbreak was built on the tradition of integrity-driven investigative reporting. Furthermore, it aims to engage readers and the community.
You can join the conversation by becoming a Rappler PLUS member.
PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
More than that, you will help enable Newsbreak to continue doing compelling and investigative work.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.