8 'drug personalities' on BI lookout list: What we know about them
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has alerted the Bureau of Immigration to be on alert for alleged drug lord Peter Lim. This, after more than a year after President Rodrigo Duterte publicly named him as one of the 3 Chinese drug lords.
An immigration lookout bulletin order (ILBO) indicating the name of Lim and 7 others was issued by the DOJ on July 11 and released to media on Monday, July 31.
It says that Lim and 7 others face cases for violation of sections of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act (Republic Act No. 9165).
The other drug personalities identified in the order are linked to, or named by, alleged drug lord Kerwin Espinosa in the past year. Here’s what we know about them:
- Alleged drug lord in Visayas named by Duterte in July 2016
- Cebu businessman who owns Hilton Heavy Equipment, Tiger Motors, K-1 KTV, and a real estate development company called LimBros
- Was previously accused of being involved in drug trafficking by two former Hilton Heavy employees, Bernard Liu and Ananias Dy, during a congressional hearing in 2001 but no charges were filed. Liu and Dy were killed in 2006 and 2011.
- According to Espinosa, his drug suppliers – such as Lovely Adam Impal and Jeffrey Diaz – got their supply from Lim.
- Met with Duterte in July 2016 to clear his name but was told to proceed to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). He then submitted a letter to NBI Director Dante Gierran.
- Identified as a big time drug lord by his father, slain Albuera mayor Rolando Sr, in an affidavit
- Was arrested by Abu Dhabi police in October 2016 after fleeing the Philippines
- Claimed he contributed P8 million ($158,601)* to Senator Leila de Lima’s senatorial campaign through her former driver Ronnie Dayan
- Currently under the custody of the NBI
- Real name Wu Tuan Yuan
- Convicted drug lord whom Kerwin Espinosa tagged as his first supplier of illegal drugs. Their operations, he said, covered areas under Region 8.
- Alleged leader of Triad drug syndicate in Luzon and the National Capital Region, according to intelligence reports
- Was injured during a September 2016 riot inside Building 14 inside New Bilibid Prison which led to the death of Tony Co
Lovely Adam Impal
- Tagged as Espinosa’s source of illegal drugs in Eastern Visayas
- Allegedly facilitated nationwide distribution and transfers of illegal drugs, according to Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency Region 10 Director Adrian Alvariño
- Surrendered to the police in December 2016 but was released due to lack of charges. According to Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa, she was providing “additional information".
- Arrested with at least 110 grams of shabu worth P550,000 ($10,905) during a buy-bust operation in January 2017 in Iligan City. Impal, however, insisted she stopped operating after surrendering in December.
Nelson “Jun” Pepito Jr
- Incumbent Barangay Bonolho councilor
- Tagged by Kerwin Espinosa as being in charge of transporting drugs from Matnog to Ormoc City
- In October 2016, Albuera police, then headed by Senior Inspector Jovani Espenido, filed a case against him and several others before the Office of the Ombudsman, for allegedly receiving drug money from Kerwin Espinosa
- Named by the elder Espinosa as the mastermind behind the death of retired policeman Alfredo Bucabuca in 2016
- At least 40 years old
- Bodyguard and alleged right-hand man of Kerwin Espinosa
- Surrendered in September 2016 for fear for his life after months of hiding in Cebu City
- Police later recovered 3 kilos of shabu amounting to P24 million ($475,862) in his home in Albuera, Leyte
- 45 years old
- Alleged hitman and security aide of Espinosa from Burauen, Leyte
- Previously jailed in Ormoc City Jail for robbing a local motorcycle store in 2010 while his alleged co-perpetrators, Ruel Publico and Anderson Perez, were killed by police after resisting arrest
- Was also charged with illegal possession of firearms after being caught in an election checkpoint in March 2013
- Cases against him, however, were dismissed allegedly with the help of Kerwin Espinosa
- Surrendered to police in September 2016 because he did not want to endanger his family anymore
- 40 years old
- Driver and bodyguard of Espinosa
- Arrested in a buy-bust operation in July 2016 which yielded at least 237 grams of shabu amounting to P1.9 million ($37,677)
*$1 = P50.44
If you have any information about the individuals named in the immigration lookout bulletin, please email email@example.com.
Newsbreak was built on the tradition of integrity-driven investigative reporting. Furthermore, it aims to engage readers and the community.
You can join the conversation by becoming a Rappler PLUS member.
PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
More than that, you will help enable Newsbreak to continue doing compelling and investigative work.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.