Cemetery trivia: What now lies above former burial grounds?
MANILA, Philippines – Cemeteries are the final resting place of our deceased loved ones. There they are visited by living relatives, especially on November 1, All Saints' Day, and November 2, All Souls' Day.
But modernization and the growing competition for prized land in urban centers are wiping them out or causing them to disappear as structure after structure is being built over them.
Some old cemeteries have already given way to land developments with new churches and parks, and even to new commercial establishments.
Rappler lists down some sites across the country that used to be hallowed burial grounds.
Starmall Alabang, formerly called Metropolis Star Alabang, stands on what used to be the Alabang Cemetery. The mall was built in the '90s by Manuela Realty Development Corp, which was established by the grandmother-in-law of Sen Manny Villar.
Remedios Circle (or Plaza Plaridel)
Remedios Circle used to be one of Manila's earliest cemeteries (alongside Paco Cemetery). It was demolished after World War II, and all remains were re-buried in the South Cemetery. The Catholic Church turned over the cemetery to the government in exchange for an access road that led to a new church across the Manila Zoo.
Espiritu Santo Parish Church
Santa Cruz, Manila
The Espiritu Santo Parish Church in Santa Cruz, Manila and its parochial school were built on what used to be cemetery grounds. The cemetery was closed in 1913 due to "health concerns."
The old Ermita Cemetery used to occupy an area called the Polvorin de San Antonio Abad. Harrison Plaza, known as Manila's first enclosed modern mall, now occupies the site.
Most Holy Trinity Parish Church
The Balic-Balic Cemetery used to be in the area where the Most Holy Trinity Parish Church in Sampaloc, Manila and its parochial school are. The old cemetery was built in 1884, and was transformed into a parish in 1932 following the closure of the cemetery.
Plaza Cristo Rey
Plaza Cristo Rey, located in front of the parishes of St Peter and St Paul, was the site of the former cemetery of San Pedro Macati (Makati). The area also had tunnels used during World War II.
– With Jodesz Gavilan/Rappler.com
MG Mora is a Rappler intern.