President Rodrigo Duterte is now deciding who the next Philippine chief justice will be, and he will have to choose among one Aquino appointee and two of his own appointees.
The Aquino appointee, Senior Associate Justice Estela Perlas-Bernabe, is currently most senior in the Court and is actually now acting chief justice. If Duterte picks her, he will be honoring seniority which can be a good thing in terms of acceptability to the other 14 justices.
If Duterte goes for either of his appointees, Associate Justice Alexander Gesmundo or Associate Justice Ramon Paul Hernando, it could result in more stability because they would have more years to serve. Bernabe will retire in May 2022, Gesmundo in November 2026, and Hernando in August 2036.
In this episode we will talk about the process of choosing who gets to sit on the Supreme Court Bench, and whether the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) is accountable for appointees who turn out bad.
We have lawyer Jojo Mejia, a former JBC member, for this episode.
For past podcast episodes:
- Episode 1 Part 1: Supreme Court’s most controversial decisions
- Episode 1 Part 2: Department of Justice’s evolving definition of warrantless arrests
- Episode 2: The rule of law in the time of the coronavirus
- Episode 3: Pandemic and the great wall of free speech
- Episode 4: Will petition to disclose Duterte health work?
- Episode 5: Legal difficulties of a prisoner mass release
- Episode 6: Breaking down the ABS-CBN franchise legal and political issues
- Episode 7: ABS-CBN and the 3 tangled branches of government
- Episode 8: Are extraordinary writs still effective in the time of Duterte?
- Episode 9: Dissecting anti-terror bill and threats to freedoms
- Episode 10: The problems with the Cybercrime Law
- Episode 11: Can we trust the gov’t panel probing drug war deaths?
- Episode 12: Why press freedom is legally protected
- Episode 13: What is People’s Initiative and will it work for ABS-CBN?
- Episode 14: The new push for death penalty
- Episode 15: A State of terror
- Episode 16: GCTA’s thorn – Do bad men deserve good things?
- Episode 17: Policies beyond body count of Duterte’s drug war
- Episode 18: Can we really bring Xi Jinping to the ICC?
- Episode 19: Philippine courts and the death of baby River
- Episode 20: Deep dive into anti-terror law IRR
- Episode 21: Supreme Court and the SALN challenge
- Episode 22: Where PH stands in fight for climate justice
- Episode 23: How to legally fight red-tagging
- Episode 24: Hope for the Rule of Law with Dino de Leon
- Episode 25: Summary of anti-terror law petitions
- Episode 26: May it please the Court – the anti-terror law orals
- Episode 27: Investigating Duterte’s drug war using hard data
- Episode 28: Your Honors, they are killing lawyers
If you have tips and suggestions for episodes, email the host at firstname.lastname@example.org. – Rappler.com