New consolidated data shows that 61 lawyers have been killed in the 5 years of President Rodrigo Duterte compared to the 49 lawyers in a span of 44 years from the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos to Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III.
This disproportionate number and an alarming surge at that have compelled lawyers to call on the Supreme Court: Exercise your extraordinary powers to respond to this extraordinary problem.
For them, this is no time to be passive.
This has cast a shadow on Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta who is retiring in a week.
Listen to this podcast for a deeper discussion.
For past podcast episodes:
- Episode 1 Part 1: Supreme Court’s most controversial decisions
- Episode 1 Part 2: Department of Justice’s evolving definition of warrantless arrests
- Episode 2: The rule of law in the time of the coronavirus
- Episode 3: Pandemic and the great wall of free speech
- Episode 4: Will petition to disclose Duterte health work?
- Episode 5: Legal difficulties of a prisoner mass release
- Episode 6: Breaking down the ABS-CBN franchise legal and political issues
- Episode 7: ABS-CBN and the 3 tangled branches of government
- Episode 8: Are extraordinary writs still effective in the time of Duterte?
- Episode 9: Dissecting anti-terror bill and threats to freedoms
- Episode 10: The problems with the Cybercrime Law
- Episode 11: Can we trust the gov’t panel probing drug war deaths?
- Episode 12: Why press freedom is legally protected
- Episode 13: What is People’s Initiative and will it work for ABS-CBN?
- Episode 14: The new push for death penalty
- Episode 15: A State of terror
- Episode 16: GCTA’s thorn – Do bad men deserve good things?
- Episode 17: Policies beyond body count of Duterte’s drug war
- Episode 18: Can we really bring Xi Jinping to the ICC?
- Episode 19: Philippine courts and the death of baby River
- Episode 20: Deep dive into anti-terror law IRR
- Episode 21: Supreme Court and the SALN challenge
- Episode 22: Where PH stands in fight for climate justice
- Episode 23: How to legally fight red-tagging
- Episode 24: Hope for the Rule of Law with Dino de Leon
- Episode 25: Summary of anti-terror law petitions
- Episode 26: May it please the Court – the anti-terror law orals
- Episode 27: Investigating Duterte’s drug war using hard data
If you have tips and suggestions for episodes, email the host at email@example.com. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.