Law of Duterte Land is a podcast born during the pandemic.
We started with pilot episodes that tackled President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on the law, and progressed into the different legal issues we confronted as we battled the global coronavirus crisis.
From warrantless arrests to the anti-terror law, to the death of a prisoner’s helpless child, and to the war on dissent, this year has been terribly overwhelming, and we are exhausted.
So we hope to end 2020 on a positive note with episodes that will tackle hope for the rule of law.
For this episode, we will talk to young lawyer Dino de Leon who filed the mandamus petition to disclose President Duterte’s state of health. A lot of people pleaded with him not to file it, but he pushed through nevertheless because someone had to take that step.
The case failed. Just the same, De Leon said he is still hopeful. “We don’t have a choice,” he said in the podcast.
Listen to the conversation.
For past episodes:
- Episode 1 Part 1: Supreme Court’s most controversial decisions
- Episode 1 Part 2: Department of Justice’s evolving definition of warrantless arrests
- Episode 2: The rule of law in the time of the coronavirus
- Episode 3: Pandemic and the great wall of free speech
- Episode 4: Will petition to disclose Duterte health work?
- Episode 5: Legal difficulties of a prisoner mass release
- Episode 6: Breaking down the ABS-CBN franchise legal and political issues
- Episode 7: ABS-CBN and the 3 tangled branches of government
- Episode 8: Are extraordinary writs still effective in the time of Duterte?
- Episode 9: Dissecting anti-terror bill and threats to freedoms
- Episode 10: The problems with the Cybercrime Law
- Episode 11: Can we trust the gov’t panel probing drug war deaths?
- Episode 12: Why press freedom is legally protected
- Episode 13: What is People’s Initiative and will it work for ABS-CBN?
- Episode 14: The new push for death penalty
- Episode 15: A State of terror
- Episode 16: GCTA’s thorn – Do bad men deserve good things?
- Episode 17: Policies beyond body count of Duterte’s drug war
- Episode 18: Can we really bring Xi Jinping to the ICC?
- Episode 19: Philippine courts and the death of baby River
- Episode 20: Deep dive into anti-terror law IRR
- Episode 21: Supreme Court and the SALN challenge
- Episode 22: Where PH stands in fight for climate justice
- Episode 23: How to legally fight red-tagging
If you have tips and suggestions for episodes, email the host at email@example.com. – Rappler.com