President Rodrigo Duterte’s drug war has gripped international headlines because of seeming made-for-movies tales of deaths that put the Philippine police under intense scrutiny.
Behind this dramatic narrative are the boring policies – circulars and court decisions that made silent ripples in the legal behind-the-scenes of this campaign.
We take a look at the deluge of drug cases filed that have overwhelmed already clogged dockets.
We discuss the struggle of prosecutors to win these cases.
Policy talk is boring, but it gives you a glimpse of a system that may be breaking down.
Just recently, the Department of Justice created a review panel that sought to investigate gaps in the system that resulted in the lack of criminal prosecution for cops involved in 5,655 deaths in police drug war operations. (PODCAST: Law of Duterte Land: Can we trust the gov’t panel probing drug war deaths?)
Policy issues are what international investigators are also looking at to answer this question: Is the Philippine government doing enough to stop the abuses and fix the system?
Or is it time to step in and prosecute President Rodrigo Duterte?
Listen to past episodes:
- Episode 1 Part 1: Supreme Court’s most controversial decisions
- Episode 1 Part 2: Department of Justice’s evolving definition of warrantless arrests
- Episode 2: The rule of law in the time of the coronavirus
- Episode 3: Pandemic and the great wall of free speech
- Episode 4: Will petition to disclose Duterte health work?
- Episode 5: Legal difficulties of a prisoner mass release
- Episode 6: Breaking down the ABS-CBN franchise legal and political issues
- Episode 7: ABS-CBN and the 3 tangled branches of government
- Episode 8: Are extraordinary writs still effective in the time of Duterte?
- Episode 9: Dissecting anti-terror bill and threats to freedoms
- Episode 10: The problems with the Cybercrime Law
- Episode 11: Can we trust the gov’t panel probing drug war deaths?
- Episode 12: Why press freedom is legally protected
- Episode 13: What is People’s Initiative and will it work for ABS-CBN?
- Episode 14: The new push for death penalty
- Episode 15: A State of terror
- Episode 16: GCTA’s thorn – Do bad men deserve good things?
If you have tips and suggestions for episodes, email the host at email@example.com. – Rappler.com