The Supreme Court said there will be no more postponement of the anti-terror law oral arguments, which had been moved from January 19 to February 2 upon the request of Solicitor General Jose Calida.
Ready or not ready, Calida – who had asked for the postponement after his top aides tested positive for COVID-19 – and the petitioners will go head to head on the feared anti-terror law next month.
The petitioners have handpicked 13 lawyers to represent them in the oral arguments.
This podcast summarizes key issues of the highly contentious pet law of President Rodrigo Duterte.
Check the written version of the cheat sheet here.
For past episodes:
- Episode 1 Part 1: Supreme Court’s most controversial decisions
- Episode 1 Part 2: Department of Justice’s evolving definition of warrantless arrests
- Episode 2: The rule of law in the time of the coronavirus
- Episode 3: Pandemic and the great wall of free speech
- Episode 4: Will petition to disclose Duterte health work?
- Episode 5: Legal difficulties of a prisoner mass release
- Episode 6: Breaking down the ABS-CBN franchise legal and political issues
- Episode 7: ABS-CBN and the 3 tangled branches of government
- Episode 8: Are extraordinary writs still effective in the time of Duterte?
- Episode 9: Dissecting anti-terror bill and threats to freedoms
- Episode 10: The problems with the Cybercrime Law
- Episode 11: Can we trust the gov’t panel probing drug war deaths?
- Episode 12: Why press freedom is legally protected
- Episode 13: What is People’s Initiative and will it work for ABS-CBN?
- Episode 14: The new push for death penalty
- Episode 15: A State of terror
- Episode 16: GCTA’s thorn – Do bad men deserve good things?
- Episode 17: Policies beyond body count of Duterte’s drug war
- Episode 18: Can we really bring Xi Jinping to the ICC?
- Episode 19: Philippine courts and the death of baby River
- Episode 20: Deep dive into anti-terror law IRR
- Episode 21: Supreme Court and the SALN challenge
- Episode 22: Where PH stands in fight for climate justice
- Episode 23: How to legally fight red-tagging
- Episode 24: Hope for the Rule of Law with Dino de Leon
If you have tips and suggestions for episodes, email the host at email@example.com. – Rappler.com