Throughout his presidency, Rodrigo Duterte has tested the limits of diplomacy every time he makes candid, off-the-cuff remarks on sensitive issues like the West Philippine Sea and China’s maritime aggression.
Former senator and former military chief Rodolfo Biazon thinks the “confusion” that arises from these moments of presidential candor is dangerous.
In this episode of Seat of Power, Rappler reporter Pia Ranada asks Biazon what impacts of Duterte’s contradictory or vague utterances on security policies could be.
Hague ruling should be thrown in the trash? “Jet-skiing to Spratlys” just a joke? China “in possession” of the West Philippine Sea?
“A commander-in-chief who says things in public then long after, retracts it, says he is joking. Wait a minute, we have a problem there. The commander-in-chief must be very, very clear what he says in public,” says Biazon.
To finally clarify to Filipinos, Philippine allies abroad, and even China if those personal utterances are foreign policy, Biazon suggests Duterte convene the National Security Council, a group that includes past presidents, the Vice President, and leading lawmakers.
“If you are President of the Republic, your pronouncements should be a product of a well-studied approach,” said Biazon.
Listen to Biazon’s insights in this episode.
- Episode 1: COVID-19 ward doctor assesses Duterte’s pandemic response
- Episode 2: Duterte’s hands all over ABS-CBN franchise rejection
- Episode 3: The frightening future of Duterte’s anti-terror law
- Episode 4: Duterte’s 2020 SONA in 5 minutes
- Episode 5: What happens if Duterte gets COVID-19?
- Episode 6: Duterte, Trump, Bolsonaro: The ‘medical populists’
- Episode 7: Pandemic leadership: Duterte vs Leni
- Episode 8: Duterte’s secretive Malacañang
- Episode 9: Duterte’s vaccine dreams vs reality
- Episode 10: Duterte’s role in the Cayetano-Velasco Speakership tussle
- Episode 11: 4 reasons why Duterte’s ratings are still high
- Episode 12: ‘Corruption crackdown’ by a master of spectacle
- Episode 13: Covering a President who lies
- Episode 14: Tarlac shooting: Blood on Duterte’s hands
- Episode 15: Unpacking the PSG vaccine mystery
- Episode 16: China’s new Coast Guard law and Duterte
- Episode 17: Duterte’s VFA threats: Negotiating tactic or rash outburst?
- Episode 18: Is Duterte responsible for ‘Bloody Sunday’?
- Episode 19: What is Duterte’s actual role in pandemic response?
- Episode 20: Duterte, despite bluster, makes big climate pledge
- Episode 21: A conversation with Lieutenant General Antonio Parlade