Granted limited immunity by the International Criminal Court (ICC), former policeman Arturo Lascañas revealed in an affidavit everything he knew about the killings in Davao City allegedly ordered by Rodrigo Duterte when he was mayor.
The limited immunity protects Lascañas from prosecution over crimes that also involved him. The ICC’s grant of limited immunity is first in Philippine history.
On November 10, the same day Rappler published the curtain raiser for our exclusive investigative series on Lascañas’ affidavit, the Duterte government filed a deferral request with the ICC. Filed through the country’s ambassador to The Netherlands, it was the Philippines’ first formal engagement with the court, seen by legal observers as “tacit” cooperation even though Duterte had ordered the country to withdraw from the ICC.
Per procedure, ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan paused the investigative activities to assess the Philippines’ request. Khan said they would continue to examine information already in their possession, which includes Lascañas’ affidavit.
Watch the summary of Lascañas’ 186-page written testimony.
(Sa ilalim ng limited immunity na ipinagkaloob ng International Criminal Court o ICC, ibinunyag sa affidavit ng dating pulis na si Arturo Lascañas ang lahat ng kanyang nalalaman tungkol sa mga patayan sa Davao City na iniutos umano ni Rodrigo Duterte noong siya ay alkalde.
Dahil sa proteksiyon ng limited immunity, hindi uusigin si Lascañas sa mga krimeng kinasangkutan niya. Ito ang unang pagkakataon sa kasaysayan ng bansa na may mabigyan ng limited immunity ang ICC.
Nitong Nobyembre 10, sa araw na inilathala ng Rappler ang pambungad na report ng aming investigative series, naghain ang gobyerno ni Duterte ng deferral request sa ICC. Ang kahilingang inihain ng embahador sa The Netherlands ang unang pormal na pakikipag-ugnayan ng gobyerno sa korte kahit pa kumalas na ang Pilipinas sa ICC.
Bilang pagsunod sa proseso, pansamantalang ititigil ni ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan ang pag-iimbestiga para pag-aralan ang hiling ng gobyernong Duterte. Pero sabi ni Khan, magpapatuloy silang suriin ang mga impormasyong hawak na nila, kabilang ang affidavit ni Lascañas.
Panuorin ang buod ng kanyang 186-pahinang patotoo.
Contributors to “THE LASCAÑAS AFFIDAVIT | ‘I KILLED FOR DUTERTE’” series: Lian Buan, Jodesz Gavilan, Glenda M. Gloria, Chay F. Hofileña, Pia Ranada, Rambo Talabong
Read and watch the other stories in this series:
- THE LASCAÑAS AFFIDAVIT | ‘I killed for Duterte’
- ANG LASCAÑAS AFFIDAVIT | ‘Inutusan akong pumatay ni Duterte’
- DDS insider links Rodrigo Duterte, Michael Yang to drug trade
- First in PH history: ICC grants limited immunity to Duterte accuser Lascañas
- Davao shabu lab raid: ‘Eliminate them all’
- Green Heights roundup: Workers killed for possibly knowing about shabu lab
- Why the Laud quarry, ‘mass grave’ for DDS victims, haunts Lascañas
- Davao Death Squad buried ‘garbage’ bodies in these other dumping grounds
- Duterte hitmen confirm Lascañas stories of Davao killings
- ‘Deny everything’: Cayetano, Dela Rosa prepared witnesses for Senate DDS probe
- Duterte as ‘Superman’: Lascañas details Davao Death Squad operations
- ‘I hold the truth’: Ex-Davao hitman Arturo Lascañas is not afraid of Rodrigo Duterte
- WATCH: Who is self-confessed Davao Death Squad member Arturo Lascañas?
- Duterte rewards alleged key Davao hitmen with plum posts
- WATCH: Lascañas affidavit explainers on TikTok
- WATCH: Arturo Lascañas, in his own words