Newsbreak Chats: Vote-buying beyond just giving cash
Bookmark this page to watch and join the discussion live on Thursday, April 25, at 4:00 pm!
MANILA, Philippines – Vote-buying has long been a problem during elections in the Philippines.
Everyone has heard of at least one allegation of vote-buying, either by local or national candidates. But do we know how can a transaction be counted as vote-buying?
On Thursday, April 25, the team sits down with election lawyer and Rappler columnist Emil Marañon III for a special edition of Newsbreak Chats to discuss what counts as vote-buying and how do the anti-vote buying laws fare in implementation.
In his piece, Marañon said that the "crime of vote-buying is the most misunderstood and therefore committed most often" and it does not only involved money or cold cash for a transaction to count under this offense.
Join the discussion on Thursday, April 25, at 4 pm! – Rappler.com
MORE ON #PHVOTE 'NEWSBREAK CHATS':
- Newsbreak Chats: Should Philippine elections be this expensive?
- Newsbreak Chats: The May 2019 elections and social media
MORE ON 'NEWSBREAK CHATS' IN 2019
- Newsbreak Chats January 2019: Bangsamoro plebiscite, lowering age of criminal liability
- Newsbreak Chats February 2019: Disinformation, elections, and Rappler cyber libel case
MORE ON 'NEWSBREAK CHATS' IN 2018
- Newsbreak Chats December 2018: Top stories in 2018, what to expect in 2019
- Newsbreak Chats: Xi Jinping's state visit, Rappler's Fact Check Project
- Newsbreak Chats: Election fever, Cebu as 'crime city'
- Newsbreak Chats: Trillanes' amnesty revocation and arrest
- Newsbreak Chats: Rice crisis, Arroyo as House Speaker
- Newsbreak Chats: Marites Vitug on significance of 'Rock Solid'
- Newsbreak Chats: Anti-tambay campaign, Duterte vs the Church
- Newsbreak Chats: Calida contracts, Cesar Montano, and PhilHealth
- Newsbreak Chats: Boracay closure, Kuwait OFWs, and disinformation
- Newsbreak Chats: Malacañang ban, quo warranto vs Sereno
- Newsbreak Chats: Navy frigates, Russian propaganda
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.