Newsbreak Chats: Keeping an eye on crucial local elections
Bookmark this page to watch and join the discussion live on Thursday, May 2, at 4:00 pm!
MANILA, Philippines – The influence and power of local government officials cannot be dismissed just because of its relatively small coverage compared to those of national officials.
Local officials may be limited by the borders of their municipalities, cities, or provinces but they still command power over vast resources and lead at least hundreds to thousands of Filipinos.
These are just some of the many reasons why local elections are as crucial as voting on a national level. On May 13, around 43,000 candidates are vying for nearly 18,000 local positions. (READ: 2019 local elections, in numbers)
On Thursday, May 2, the team sits down to discuss why it is important to keep an eye on local races in the 2019 polls and what are the things voters should keep in mind when dealing with local candidates, among others.
How can the public best discern who are the best bets in their localities? What's the relationship of the local government to the national?
Join the discussion on Thursday, May 2, at 4 pm! – Rappler.com
MORE ON #PHVOTE 'NEWSBREAK CHATS':
- Newsbreak Chats: Vote-buying beyond just giving cash
- Newsbreak Chats: Should Philippine elections be this expensive?
- Newsbreak Chats: The May 2019 elections and social media
MORE ON 'NEWSBREAK CHATS' IN 2019
- Newsbreak Chats January 2019: Bangsamoro plebiscite, lowering age of criminal liability
- Newsbreak Chats February 2019: Disinformation, elections, and Rappler cyber libel case
MORE ON 'NEWSBREAK CHATS' IN 2018
- Newsbreak Chats December 2018: Top stories in 2018, what to expect in 2019
- Newsbreak Chats: Xi Jinping's state visit, Rappler's Fact Check Project
- Newsbreak Chats: Election fever, Cebu as 'crime city'
- Newsbreak Chats: Trillanes' amnesty revocation and arrest
- Newsbreak Chats: Rice crisis, Arroyo as House Speaker
- Newsbreak Chats: Marites Vitug on significance of 'Rock Solid'
- Newsbreak Chats: Anti-tambay campaign, Duterte vs the Church
- Newsbreak Chats: Calida contracts, Cesar Montano, and PhilHealth
- Newsbreak Chats: Boracay closure, Kuwait OFWs, and disinformation
- Newsbreak Chats: Malacañang ban, quo warranto vs Sereno
- Newsbreak Chats: Navy frigates, Russian propaganda