PODCAST: Sergio can save Mary Jane Veloso – PAO chief
MANILA, Philippines – Public Attorney’s Office chief Persida Acosta has always swum against the tide. Love her, hate her, she does not care for as long as constitutional rights are observed and protected.
In this podcast interview, Acosta shares why she decided to defend Cristina Sergio, the woman tagged as the recruiter of Mary Jane Veloso, who has been sentenced to death by an Indonesian court for transporting heroin in 2010. Veloso has claimed being duped into transporting the drug.
She also tells us why she believes Sergio and her live-in partner Julius Lacanilao should be exonerated from the illegal recruitment and human trafficking cases filed against them, given the evidence her office has gathered.
As PAO chief for the past 14 years, Acosta has had her share of controversy, taking up cases that seem to go against the public sentiment. From kidnap-for-ransom suspects to plunderers, she does not hesitate to take up their cases if there’s any hint that their basic right to legal representation would be violated.
She likens herself to the Biblical figure Magdalena, who faced death by stoning from the Pharisees and their followers. But she emerges unscathed every time.
Let’s listen and find out more about her, the case involving Sergio, and the prospects of Veloso getting a second lease on life. – Rappler.com
You may want to listen to previous episodes you might have missed:
- PODCAST: Can Mary Jane Veloso still be saved?
- PODCAST: Investigative Reporting 101 with Aries Rufo
- PODCAST: Mary Jane Veloso fits profile of human trafficking victim
- PODCAST: Edgar Erice and his 2016 dream team
- PODCAST: Part 2: The 3 Cs in Duterte's presidential campaign
- PODCAST: Part 1: Presidency or nothing for Duterte
- PODCAST: Investigative reporting 101
- PODCAST: Junjun Binay in jail is open warfare – Bondal
- PODCAST: Makati will be wiped out – Mercado