3rd telco player news and updates

Rappler's latest stories on 3rd telco player

ARTICLE FINDER

Koko Pimentel says 'no need to worry' over China Telecom's entry to PH

Nov 15, 2018 - 9:30 AM

'Let us also be fair and not be allergic or raise alarm just because the foreign player is Chinese,' Senator Aquilino Pimentel III tells Rappler

Photo by Angie de Silva/Rappler

[ANALYSIS] Disturbing red flags in the 3rd telco selection

Nov 15, 2018 - 9:00 AM

Suspicions of cronyism, as well as serious national security and privacy concerns, deserve more than a passing glance from our leaders and policymakers

NTC junks motions of Sear, PT&T for 3rd telco bid

Nov 13, 2018 - 4:30 PM

Sear and PT&T can still appeal the decision of the National Telecommunications Commission, but with a price tag of P10 million per appeal

[EDITORIAL]: #AnimatED: China's telco play in the Philippines

Nov 12, 2018 - 10:00 AM

The coming entry of China Telecom into our communication infrastructure serves the interest of a covetous neighbor that has wronged us so many times

Blockbuster to lackluster: #TelcoSerye drama leaves people puzzled

Nov 11, 2018 - 7:32 PM

A contest with a single qualifier, an exciting legal drama, and romantic promises. These and a hodgepodge of twists are perfect for a #TelcoSerye.

IN CHARTS: Telco promises of Chavit Singson vs Dennis Uy-China Telecom

Nov 09, 2018 - 8:35 PM

Chavit Singson's Sear Telecom intends to spend a whopping P540 billion, and promises 100% national coverage and lightning speeds, should its bid be considered

Fight not over: PT&T, Chavit Singson's Sear appeal 3rd telco bid

Nov 09, 2018 - 6:30 PM

Chavit Singson accuses Dennis Uy's Udenna Corporation and China Telecom of 'misleading' the public

Manny Pangilinan downplays Dennis Uy's 3rd telco

Nov 08, 2018 - 7:10 PM

Tycoon Manny Pangilinan and other PLDT officials say the 3rd major telco player has a lot of catching up to do, particularly in terms of building infrastructure

IN CHARTS: Udenna Corp-China Telecom's promises

Nov 08, 2018 - 8:45 AM

Provisional 3rd telco winner Mislatel promises to blow away Smart and Globe with super fast internet and wide coverage – at a very hefty price

Dennis Uy-China Telecom consortium provisionally named 3rd telco

Nov 07, 2018 - 5:33 PM

(UPDATED) Their group, called Mislatel Consortium, garners a total of 456.8 points out of 500 under the criteria

Uneven playing field? Disqualified bidders slam 3rd telco rules

Nov 07, 2018 - 4:45 PM

PT&T and Sear Telecom both need to pay a non-refundable appeal fee of P10 million, if they choose to file motions for reconsideration on their disqualification

BIDDING FOR THIRD. Members of the selection committee evaluate documents of new 3rd telco player-aspirants. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

Only Dennis Uy-China Telecom bid qualified, 2 others incomplete

Nov 07, 2018 - 1:35 PM

The bid documents of the Dennis Uy-China Telecom consortium are deemed qualified, while Sear Telecom and PT&T are both disqualified, which the two can still appeal

China Telecom, Dennis Uy's Udenna Corp team up for 3rd telco bid

Nov 07, 2018 - 9:55 AM

President Rodrigo Duterte previously said he wants a Chinese company to be the 3rd major telecommunications player

FAST FACTS: 3rd telco player selection rules

Nov 07, 2018 - 8:45 AM

Here are the requirements for companies vying for the Philippines' 3rd major telecommunications player slot

LIVE: Bidding for the 3rd major telco slot

Nov 07, 2018 - 8:35 AM

The bids for the 3rd major telecommunications player slot will be opened on Wednesday, November 7

NOW Telecom loses bid vs contentious 3rd telco provisions

Nov 06, 2018 - 8:20 PM

The Manila Regional Trial Court says NOW Telecom may have caused its own request to become moot since it said it still wants to join the bidding for the 3rd major telecommunications player slot

PT&T calls 3rd telco criteria 'unfair,' files petition vs NTC

Nov 06, 2018 - 3:20 PM

PT&T questions the National Telecommunications Commission's interpretation of 'national-scale' operations, saying it favors foreign companies

LIST: Potential 3rd telco bidders

Nov 05, 2018 - 7:42 PM

10 companies are poised to slug it out on November 7 for the 3rd major telecommunications slot. Get to know their track record and financial health.

Chavit Singson promises cheapest 3rd telco service

Oct 31, 2018 - 8:25 PM

'Kung P100 ang presyo nila (Globe or Smart), kami P5 lang. Dapat nga libre ang Wi-Fi,' says Chavit Singson, president of the LCS Group

Photo by Rappler

Rappler Talk: Chavit Singson’s bid for the 3rd telco slot

Oct 31, 2018 - 2:25 PM

The Luis Chavit Singson Group and ARMM-based company TierOne Communications join forces to bid for the country's 3rd major telecommunications slot

NOW Corp says 3rd telco criteria 'anti-Filipino'

Oct 29, 2018 - 8:10 PM

NOW Corporation and NOW Telecom want President Rodrigo Duterte to select the country's 3rd major telecommunications player himself and view the undertaking as a public-private partnership

Rappler Talk: NOW Telecom's bid for 3rd telco slot

Oct 26, 2018 - 10:18 AM

Rappler talks to NOW Telecom to discuss why it thinks it can be the Philippines' 3rd major telecommunications player

Villar company to bid as 3rd telco – DICT

Oct 24, 2018 - 8:55 PM

Acting DICT Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr says Streamtech Systems Technologies has to look for a foreign partner with at least 10 years of experience in a nationwide telco business

Poe to 3rd telco bidders: Don't delay selection process

Oct 22, 2018 - 4:35 PM

Senator Grace Poe says companies vying to become the 3rd telecommunications player can complain before the courts, but must not be a cause of delay for the selection process

WATCH: Senate hearing on 3rd telco selection

Oct 21, 2018 - 4:05 PM

Watch the hearing live on Rappler on Monday, October 22

Court junks NOW Telecom’s TRO petition vs 3rd telco bid requirements

Oct 12, 2018 - 6:21 PM

Manila Regional Trial Court branch 42 junks the request of NOW Telecom for a Temporary Restraining Order to stop the alleged 'money-making' selection process scheme

DENIED. The Manila Regional Trial Court throws out the petition of NOW Telecom for a Temporary Restraining Order over the bidding requirements for the 3rd telco player. Mel Velarde's photo from his Facebook page, Eliseo Rio Jr.'s photo by Angie de Silva/Rappler

China Telecom, PT&T eye 3rd telco bid

Oct 12, 2018 - 4:56 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte's first pick China Telecom buys bid documents on Friday, October 12, to be the country's 3rd major telecommunications player

DICT accuses NOW Telecom of delaying 3rd telco entry

Oct 09, 2018 - 8:48 PM

DICT Acting Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr insinuates that NOW Telecom probably cannot really afford to bid against financially capable companies

3rd telco bidder sues NTC for 'money-making' requirements

Oct 09, 2018 - 4:40 PM

NOW Telecom says the National Telecommunications Commission is imposing on bidders multi-billion-peso fees that were not taken up in public hearings

Chavit Singson, Dennis Uy, to bid for 3rd telco

Oct 08, 2018 - 6:55 PM

Contenders can buy the bid documents for P1 million per set and need to cash out some P700 million worth of participation security

DICT on track to name 3rd telco player before Christmas

Oct 03, 2018 - 3:44 PM

The Department of Information and Communications Technology sets November 7 as the deadline for the selection of a new major telecommunications player

No 3rd telco player by November? 'I'll take over,' says Duterte

Sep 11, 2018 - 5:46 PM

If there will be further delays, President Duterte warns he'll invite interested parties to submit their position papers to him, and he will make his choice in 'about 30 minutes'

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte reiterates in his speech during the meeting with the Filipino community at the Royal Cultural Palace in Amman, Jordan on September 7, 2018 that he has made a promise to get rid of corruption, criminality, and illegal drugs in the country back when he was still campaigning for the country's top government position. He went on to add that he is relentless in his efforts to fulfill these promises. RENE LUMAWAG/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

LIST: Companies vying for Philippines' 3rd telco spot

Aug 24, 2018 - 11:22 AM

At least 7 foreign and 5 local companies are gunning to be the next major telco player

TELCO WARS. Several companies are gunning to be the country's 3rd mobile provider. Rappler file photo


MISLEADING: 3rd telco 'now in the Philippines'

Aug 16, 2018 - 6:25 PM

The 3rd telco player will enter 'before Christmas,' says Information and Communications Technology acting secretary Eliseo Rio Jr

Duterte creates oversight committee for entry of 3rd telco player

Apr 11, 2018 - 11:50 AM

The committee, led by the Department of Information and Communications Technology and counting the national security adviser as a member, will help select frequencies for the new telco player

Cases over regulatory fees hound some 3rd telco aspirants

Mar 25, 2018 - 11:36 PM

(UPDATED) But PT&T and Now Telecom say they are contesting the supposed outstanding fees, so these have 'no bearing' on their bids for the 3rd telco slot

PT&T eyes using TransCo's fiber optics for broadband network

Mar 22, 2018 - 6:40 PM

Philippine Telegraph and Telephone Corporation moves forward with a plan to develop a nationwide broadband network as it signs a memorandum with the National Transmission Corporation

NOW Telecom gets 25-year franchise extension amid battle for 3rd telco player

Feb 23, 2018 - 4:48 PM

NOW Telecom is said to be among the groups vying to become the firm’s 3rd major telecommunications player, and it now has privileges similar to those granted to existing dominant players in the industry with the franchise extension

Globe in talks for independent cell tower firm

Feb 08, 2018 - 3:40 PM

Globe president Ernest Cu also says the firm is looking at divesting all or part of its tower assets to independent tower companies

Duterte rejects DICT request to extend deadline for 3rd telco

Feb 06, 2018 - 1:10 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte is adamant that the 3rd telco be ready by March despite requests of potential players to the DICT for more time to prepare requirements and secure partners

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte engages in a discussion with Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi on the sidelines of the 22nd Cabinet Meeting at the Malacañan Palace on February 5, 2018. Also in the photo are Solicitor General Jose Calida and Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade. RICHARD MADELO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

If China telco deal doesn't pan out, PH to tap other telco players

Jan 03, 2018 - 12:45 PM

Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque raises the possibility that China Telecom may find unacceptable the constitutional limitations on foreign ownerships of telco companies

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte accompanies People's Republic of China State Council Premier Li Keqiang as they enter the Malacañan Palace on November 15, 2017. REY BANIQUET/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO