Manila RTC - updates

Rappler's latest stories on Manila RTC

ARTICLE FINDER

Manila court allows Rappler to seek dismissal of cyber libel case

Oct 08, 2019 - 10:55 AM

Rappler has 10 days to file its demurrer to evidence, after which William Keng's lawyers would have 10 days to reply. The case has progressed expediently so far.

CYBERLIBEL. Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa attends a hearing on the cyberlibel case filed by against her by businessman Wilfredo Keng at the Manila Regional Trial Court on March 1, 2019. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

Manila court orders arrest of Joma Sison, Jalandoni over Leyte mass grave

Sep 06, 2019 - 3:32 PM

(UPDATED) Satur Ocampo, a co-accused, is excluded in the warrant because of an earlier bail grant by the Supreme Court

WARRANT. CPP Founding Chairman Joma Sison and NDF senior adviser Luis Jalandoni are ordered arrested by a Manila court. Photo of Sison by Rappler, photo of Jalandoni by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

Court junks DOJ request to rearrest Satur Ocampo

Aug 19, 2019 - 5:35 PM

Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 32 finds no basis to overtake an earlier Supreme Court decision that gave Satur Ocampo provisional liberty

LIBERTY. Former Bayan Muna representative Satur Ocampo (utmost right) keeps his liberty as the Manila Regional Trial Court rejects prosecutors' request to rearrest him on pending murder charges. Photo by Jire Carreon/Rappler

A look into a libel trial: First witnesses up in Maria Ressa case

Jul 23, 2019 - 12:29 PM

A witness testifies to have read the article – a testimony that may seem trivial but is a requisite to proving an element of the crime

CYBERLIBEL. Opposing counsels shake hands after the hearing on the cybercrime charges filed by complainant Wilfredo Keng against Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa on July 23, 2019. Photo by Jire Carreon

Maria Ressa cyber libel case proceeds to trial at Manila court

Jun 21, 2019 - 12:11 PM

No settlement is reached between Rappler and complainant Wilfredo Keng

Rappler CEO Maria Ressa leave the court room as she attend for her pre-trial at Manila City Hall in Manila on 21 June 2019.  Photo by: Lito Borras/Rappler

Manila court orders release of Wellmed owner

Jun 15, 2019 - 3:34 PM

(UPDATED) 'It is the constitutional right of our client to post bail and be released accordingly, without any conditions,' says Bryan Sy's lawyer Rowell Ilagan

Wellmed owner Brian Christopher Sy been escort by the NBI personnel to Manila RTC at NBI Headquarters in Manila on 11 June 2019. NBI was ordered by Manila RTC to summon the Wellmed Dialysis Center owner Brian Sy. Photo by Lito Borras/Rappler

Maria Ressa arraigned for cyber libel; SC may be next option

May 14, 2019 - 10:12 AM

(UPDATED) 'We're talking about it, we'll take a look at it,' says Ressa's lawyer Ted Te on elevating case to the Supreme Court

CYBERLIBEL. Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa arrives at the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 46 for her scheduled arraignment over one count of cyberlibel on May 14, 2019. Photo by Lian Buan

Ex-cop Acierto ordered arrested by Manila court over shabu shipment

Apr 24, 2019 - 11:52 AM

The Manila Regional Trial Court issues arrest warrants against Acierto and 7 others

INCOGNITO. Eduardo Acierto surfaces after months of hiding. Photo by Camille Elemia/Rappler

Manila court defers arraignment of Maria Ressa

Apr 16, 2019 - 9:06 AM

(3rd UPDATE) Judge Rainelda Estacio-Montesa also defers the arraignment of ex-Rappler researcher writer Reynaldo Santos Jr to May 17. This will allow both journalists to file a motion for reconsideration on the denial of their earlier motion to quash.

MARIA RESSA. Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa arrives at the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 46 for her arraignment on Tuesday, April 16, 2018. Photo by Lito Borras/Rappler

Court junks Ressa appeal, says cyber libel valid 12 years post-publication

Apr 15, 2019 - 8:19 AM

(UPDATED) In denying Maria Ressa’s Motion to Quash, the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 46 effectively upholds the justice department's theory that cyber libel’s prescription period is 12 years, instead of one year

Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa attends a hearing on the cyberlibel case filed by against her by businessman Wilfredo Keng at the Manila Regional Trial Court on March 1, 2019. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

Manila court denies bail for Taguba, importer in P6.4-B shabu case

Mar 14, 2019 - 7:55 PM

'There is still a long way to go and there will also be other evidence that will eventually be presented by the parties,' says the court

NO BAIL. Customs fixer Mark Taguba has been denied bail in the drug importation charges related to the P6.4 billion shabu case. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Manila court imposes P500,000 travel bond for Rappler’s Maria Ressa

Mar 14, 2019 - 2:56 PM

After an urgent motion Thursday afternoon, the court decides to reduce the bond to P100,000 per travel or P300,000 overall

LIBEL CHARGE. Rappler CEO and executive editor during her detention the NBI Cybercrime Division office on February 13, 2019, after her arrest for cyber libel charge. Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler

Dismiss cyber libel case vs Maria Ressa, Rappler – Te, FLAG

Feb 26, 2019 - 1:17 PM

Te says the Supreme Court finalized the Cybercrime Law only on April 22, 2014, which means that in February 2014 when the article was supposedly republished, there was no applicable law

CYBER LIBEL. Rappler CEO Maria Ressa speaks to the media. File photo by Martin San Diego/Rappler

NOW Telecom loses bid vs contentious 3rd telco provisions

Nov 06, 2018 - 8:20 PM

The Manila Regional Trial Court says NOW Telecom may have caused its own request to become moot since it said it still wants to join the bidding for the 3rd major telecommunications player slot

Court junks NOW Telecom’s TRO petition vs 3rd telco bid requirements

Oct 12, 2018 - 6:21 PM

Manila Regional Trial Court branch 42 junks the request of NOW Telecom for a Temporary Restraining Order to stop the alleged 'money-making' selection process scheme

DENIED. The Manila Regional Trial Court throws out the petition of NOW Telecom for a Temporary Restraining Order over the bidding requirements for the 3rd telco player. Mel Velarde's photo from his Facebook page, Eliseo Rio Jr.'s photo by Angie de Silva/Rappler

Filipina importer in P6.4-B shabu case denied bail

Aug 14, 2018 - 3:15 PM

The 4 Chinese and 2 Taiwanese nationals charged are still at large

Eirene Mae Tatad, one of Mark Taguba's co-accused in the P6.4B shabu shipment from China is presented by members of National Bureau of Investigation during press briefing on February 2, 2018. Photo by Inoue Jaena/Rappler

Fratman breaks down on witness stand in Atio Castillo trial

Aug 14, 2018 - 1:39 PM

Aegis Juris member Marc Anthony Ventura identifies his 10 fraternity brothers who are charged for the hazing-related death of the UST freshman law student

Witness Mark Ventura verifies his sworn statement before panel of prosecutors during the reopening of the preliminary investigation on the hazing death of Horacio Castillo III at Department of Justice in Manila. Also present are Atio's parents Horacio Castillo Jr. and Carminia Castillo. Photo by Inoue Jaena/Rappler

DOJ witness Kerwin Espinosa washes hands in Albuera drug raid

Aug 10, 2018 - 3:04 PM

(UPDATED) A cop whom Kerwin said was in his pocket takes the witness stand, and says police found no evidence to link him to the raid

STATE PROTECTION. Kerwin Espinosa leaves the Manila RTC on August 10, 2018, tightly guarded by escorts from both the NBI and the DOJ Intelligence Service Operations Group (ISOG). Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Manila court clears 4 in DOJ’s terror tag request

Aug 08, 2018 - 4:46 PM

(UPDATED) Branch 19 does not throw out the main petition seeking to declare the CPP-NPA as a terrorist group

CLEARED. Manila RTC Branch 19 clears Satur Ocampo, Rafael Baylosis, Jose Melencio Molintas and Victoria Tauli-Corpuz (L-R) from the government petition to declare 649 individuals as terrorists.

Court allows NDF consultants to go to Netherlands for June peace talks

Jun 09, 2018 - 4:57 PM

But the court does not lift the standing warrants of arrest against Benito Tiamzon and Adelberto Silva, saying the 'provisional liberty' is for the sole purpose of the travel

President Rodrigo Duterte shakes hands with Benito Tiamzon, political consultant of the National Democratic Front, in a meeting in Malacañan’s State Dining Room on September 26. ACE MORANDANTE/PPD

Marcelo Adorco: A precarious spot the gov’t case vs Espinosa stands on

Jun 08, 2018 - 5:23 PM

The star witness – the only witness – cannot read and write and only speaks Cebuano. His retractions are blamed on translation lapses.

GRILLED. Marcelo Adorco (utmost right) is grilled by veteran defense lawyer Raymond Fortun while his client Kerwin Espinosa (utmost left) watches looking pleased as the Manila RTC Branch 26 continues the trial on Espinosa's illegal possession of firerarms and drugs charges. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Where are the Chinese middlemen in the P6.4B shabu case?

May 23, 2018 - 5:08 PM

It has been 4 months since arrest warrants were issued against the Chinese, and none of them have been caught yet

SHABU SHIPMENT. Chinese businessmen Richard Chen/Tan (left) and Kenneth Dong (right) are still at large four months since their arrest warrants were issued. Photo of Richard Chen/Tan by Joseph Vidal/PRIB and photo of Kenneth Dong by Rappler

DOJ downplays loss of P6.4B shabu case in Valenzuela, says Manila trial going 'well'

May 03, 2018 - 7:42 PM

The Valenzuela Regional Trial Court (RTC) drops another case of drug transportation against the customs middlemen, but the main case at the Manila court continues

Bureau of Customs fixer Mark Taguba is escorted by NBI agents following his surrender, hours after a Manila court ordered his arrest for his alleged involvement with the P6.4-billion shabu shipment. Photo by Ben Nabong

Parents of Aegis Juris fratmen appeal for NBI detention

Mar 26, 2018 - 10:43 AM

“The Manila Police District is not and cannot be an objective and independent custodian of our children,” the parents tell the NBI

Ten members of the Aegis Juris Fraternity voluntary surrenders before the NBI on March 23, 2018. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Brotherhood up to the end: Aegis Juris fratmen surrender together

Mar 23, 2018 - 6:37 PM

'I see these 10 accused and I see the suffering of my son. They put in their own hands the life of my Atio,' says Carmina Castillo

Ten members of the Aegis Juris Fraternity voluntary surrenders before the NBI on March 23, 2018. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Life on the line for young fratmen, but Atio Castillo’s mom feels numb

Mar 16, 2018 - 9:16 PM

'They committed a crime they thought they can get away with; now they have all the time to think about what they did,' says Castillo's mother Carmina

COURT BATTLE. Ralph Trangia, who fled for the United States when the news first broke out, is back in the Philippines and attends his first court hearing on March 16, 2018, at the Manila RTC over the hazing death of Horacio "Atio" Castillo III. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Aegis Juris fratmen in Atio Castillo slay case move for bail

Mar 13, 2018 - 10:13 AM

They reiterate the argument that Horacio 'Atio' Castillo III died of a pre-existing heart condition, and attack the expertise of the Philippine National Police's medico-legal officer

BAIL. Aegis Juris fraternity member Jose Miguel Salamat moves for bail before the Manila court hearing their hazing charges over the death of freshman law student Horacio Castillo III. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Why the PNP barred customs fixer Mark Taguba from Camp Crame jail

Feb 28, 2018 - 4:15 PM

A Manila court has ordered that the fixer, who linked President Duterte's son to shabu smuggling, be transferred to the PNP Custodial Center

WHAT REASON? PNP Spokesperson Chief Superintendent John Bulalacao tells reporters to ask the head of the PNP's Headquarters Support Service why they barred Taguba from Camp Crame. Photo by Rambo Talabong/Rappler

Court orders NBI to explain why Taguba not moved to Manila jail

Feb 09, 2018 - 1:09 PM

The arraignment of Customs fixer Mark Taguba has been deferred to February 23 pending a petition for review of his case in the Department of Justice

MARK TAGUBA. Mark Taguba (with cap) is escorted by NBI security at the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 46 on February 9, 2018. Rappler screengrab

Taguba begs court for NBI detention, says 'official' wants him dead

Feb 06, 2018 - 10:25 AM

Mark Taguba's father is willing to testify in court that a 'government official' his son had named during the Senate hearings on the P6.4-billion shabu shipment wants his son killed

NBI DETENTION. Customs fixer Mark Taguba has filed a very urgent motion for reconsideration before a Manila court for continued detention at the NBI, citing threats to his life. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Court orders arrest of Mark Taguba, middlemen in shabu smuggling

Jan 31, 2018 - 5:55 PM

No bail is recommended for Customs broker Mark Taguba and several others facing charges

Mark Ruben Taguba shows the timeline of the transaction durin the hearing of the Blue Ribbon committee on the nabbed P6.4 billion worth of shabu shipment from China, at the Senate of the Philippines in Pasay on Monday. Photo by Lito Boras/Rappler

Solano claims judge who issued frat library search warrant falsified docs

Oct 25, 2017 - 5:05 PM

John Paul Solano's motion for inhibition against Judge Reynaldo Alhambra is instantly denied, but the fratman's lawyer says they will file a motion for reconsideration

MOTION TO QUASH. Aegis Juris fratman and suspect John Paul Solano attends a hearing at the Manila RTC Branch 53 on October 25, 2017, on his motion to quash the search warrant on the fraternity library. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

CA junks ABS-CBN appeal vs Benedicto estate

Jul 18, 2016 - 5:30 PM

The Court of Appeals says there is no reason to declare RPN 9 s occupancy of ABS CBN s facilities during the martial law era as fraudulent

Manila court to hear Benhur Luy's appeal vs assets freeze

Apr 24, 2014 - 5:53 PM

The Manila court sets a hearing after Luy files a motion for reconsideration and a motion for discharge before the court

Benhur Luy: Exempt me from assets freeze

Mar 26, 2014 - 12:02 AM

His lawyer argues that while his client admitted participation in the pork barrel scam it does not mean he benefited financially Besides he should be covered by immunity from criminal prosecution granted under the Witness Protection Program