Manila RTC Branch 46 - updates

Rappler's latest stories on Manila RTC Branch 46

ARTICLE FINDER

Manila court allows Rappler to seek dismissal of cyber libel case

Oct 08, 2019 - 10:55 AM

Rappler has 10 days to file its demurrer to evidence, after which William Keng's lawyers would have 10 days to reply. The case has progressed expediently so far.

CYBERLIBEL. Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa attends a hearing on the cyberlibel case filed by against her by businessman Wilfredo Keng at the Manila Regional Trial Court on March 1, 2019. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

A look into a libel trial: First witnesses up in Maria Ressa case

Jul 23, 2019 - 12:29 PM

A witness testifies to have read the article – a testimony that may seem trivial but is a requisite to proving an element of the crime

CYBERLIBEL. Opposing counsels shake hands after the hearing on the cybercrime charges filed by complainant Wilfredo Keng against Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa on July 23, 2019. Photo by Jire Carreon

Maria Ressa cyber libel case proceeds to trial at Manila court

Jun 21, 2019 - 12:11 PM

No settlement is reached between Rappler and complainant Wilfredo Keng

Rappler CEO Maria Ressa leave the court room as she attend for her pre-trial at Manila City Hall in Manila on 21 June 2019.  Photo by: Lito Borras/Rappler

Maria Ressa arraigned for cyber libel; SC may be next option

May 14, 2019 - 10:12 AM

(UPDATED) 'We're talking about it, we'll take a look at it,' says Ressa's lawyer Ted Te on elevating case to the Supreme Court

CYBERLIBEL. Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa arrives at the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 46 for her scheduled arraignment over one count of cyberlibel on May 14, 2019. Photo by Lian Buan

Manila court defers arraignment of Maria Ressa

Apr 16, 2019 - 9:06 AM

(3rd UPDATE) Judge Rainelda Estacio-Montesa also defers the arraignment of ex-Rappler researcher writer Reynaldo Santos Jr to May 17. This will allow both journalists to file a motion for reconsideration on the denial of their earlier motion to quash.

MARIA RESSA. Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa arrives at the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 46 for her arraignment on Tuesday, April 16, 2018. Photo by Lito Borras/Rappler

Court junks Ressa appeal, says cyber libel valid 12 years post-publication

Apr 15, 2019 - 8:19 AM

(UPDATED) In denying Maria Ressa’s Motion to Quash, the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 46 effectively upholds the justice department's theory that cyber libel’s prescription period is 12 years, instead of one year

Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa attends a hearing on the cyberlibel case filed by against her by businessman Wilfredo Keng at the Manila Regional Trial Court on March 1, 2019. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

Manila court denies bail for Taguba, importer in P6.4-B shabu case

Mar 14, 2019 - 7:55 PM

'There is still a long way to go and there will also be other evidence that will eventually be presented by the parties,' says the court

NO BAIL. Customs fixer Mark Taguba has been denied bail in the drug importation charges related to the P6.4 billion shabu case. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Manila court imposes P500,000 travel bond for Rappler’s Maria Ressa

Mar 14, 2019 - 2:56 PM

After an urgent motion Thursday afternoon, the court decides to reduce the bond to P100,000 per travel or P300,000 overall

LIBEL CHARGE. Rappler CEO and executive editor during her detention the NBI Cybercrime Division office on February 13, 2019, after her arrest for cyber libel charge. Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler

Dismiss cyber libel case vs Maria Ressa, Rappler – Te, FLAG

Feb 26, 2019 - 1:17 PM

Te says the Supreme Court finalized the Cybercrime Law only on April 22, 2014, which means that in February 2014 when the article was supposedly republished, there was no applicable law

CYBER LIBEL. Rappler CEO Maria Ressa speaks to the media. File photo by Martin San Diego/Rappler

Filipina importer in P6.4-B shabu case denied bail

Aug 14, 2018 - 3:15 PM

The 4 Chinese and 2 Taiwanese nationals charged are still at large

Eirene Mae Tatad, one of Mark Taguba's co-accused in the P6.4B shabu shipment from China is presented by members of National Bureau of Investigation during press briefing on February 2, 2018. Photo by Inoue Jaena/Rappler

Where are the Chinese middlemen in the P6.4B shabu case?

May 23, 2018 - 5:08 PM

It has been 4 months since arrest warrants were issued against the Chinese, and none of them have been caught yet

SHABU SHIPMENT. Chinese businessmen Richard Chen/Tan (left) and Kenneth Dong (right) are still at large four months since their arrest warrants were issued. Photo of Richard Chen/Tan by Joseph Vidal/PRIB and photo of Kenneth Dong by Rappler

Taguba begs court for NBI detention, says 'official' wants him dead

Feb 06, 2018 - 10:25 AM

Mark Taguba's father is willing to testify in court that a 'government official' his son had named during the Senate hearings on the P6.4-billion shabu shipment wants his son killed

NBI DETENTION. Customs fixer Mark Taguba has filed a very urgent motion for reconsideration before a Manila court for continued detention at the NBI, citing threats to his life. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler