PDAF scam news and updates

Rappler's latest stories on PDAF scam

ARTICLE FINDER

Verdict on Bong Revilla plunder case out December 7

Nov 08, 2018 - 12:57 PM

(UPDATED) This will significantly affect the action star-turned-politician's candidacy for senator in 2019

Former senator Bong Revilla Jr arrives at the Sandiganbayan on Tuesday, August 7, 2018, to attend his plunder trial. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

3 ex-senators charged in pork barrel scam running in 2019

Oct 17, 2018 - 10:25 AM

(UPDATED) Ramon Revilla Jr is currently detained, while Jinggoy Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile are out on bail

RUNNING IN 2019. Former senators Ramon 'Bong' Revilla Jr, Juan Ponce Enrile, and Jinggoy Estrada.

Napoles daughter back in PH

Aug 04, 2018 - 7:31 PM

(UPDATED) Jeane Napoles just went on a trip to Indonesia, her lawyer says

JEANE NAPOLES. Jeane Napoles is back in the Philippines after a trip to Indonesia, says her lawyer. Photo from jeanebeane.blogspot.com

Children’s council chief charged over P10M worth of ghost projects

Jul 30, 2018 - 5:22 PM

Mary Mitzi Cajayon Uy used as conduit an NGO previously linked to a pork barrel scam

CHARGED. Former Caloocan Representative Mary Mitzi Cajayon-Uy is charged with graft, malversation of public funds, and malversation thru falsification of public documents over P10 million PDAF scam. Photo from CWC website

Sandiganbayan junks Gigi Reyes bail petition

Jul 01, 2018 - 3:10 PM

The anti-graft court says there is strong evidence against plunder defendant Gigi Reyes, the former chief of staff of ex-senator Juan Ponce Enrile

DISMISSED. In this file photo, Gigi Reyes surrenders to the Sandiganbayan. File photo by Buena Bernal/Rappler

Ombudsman Morales on big losses: I don’t quantify success

Jun 30, 2018 - 6:28 PM

‘The lesson to learn is to never think that you are infallible,’ says retiring Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales

LEGACY. Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales says her legacy is restoring the credibility of the Office of the Ombudsman. Photo by Rappler

'Hindi pa tapos ang laban': Prosecution downplays witnesses in Revilla plunder

Jun 28, 2018 - 8:00 PM

Two employees of Janet Lim Napoles pin the blame on Benhur Luy and clear former senator Bong Revilla, but the prosecution is counting on official documents to connect the dots

Former senator Ramon 'Bong' Revilla Jr. arrives at the Sandiganbayan on Thursday, June 28, 2018, to attend his plunder trial. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

Pork barrel scam witness now claims Luy forged Revilla's signature

Jun 28, 2018 - 2:25 PM

Marina Sula also accuses the former lead prosecutor of coaching her earlier testimonies in the plunder trial of former senator Ramon 'Bong' Revilla Jr

Former Senator Bong Revilla arrives at the Sandiganbayan on June 26, 2018, to attend a hearing on a plunder case. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

FACT CHECK: No new list from Napoles on pork barrel scam

Jun 25, 2018 - 6:31 PM

The video is an interview with Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra. He did not mention this claim in that interview

Guevarra: New Napoles confessions won’t affect her plunder cases

Jun 01, 2018 - 2:58 PM

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra says the camp of alleged pork barrel scam Janet Napoles has not reached out to him yet

Newly appointed Department of Justice secretary Menardo Guevara talks to members of the media as he holds his first press conference inside the DOJ in Manila on April 10, 2018. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Guevarra stops state protection for Janet Napoles

May 25, 2018 - 3:47 PM

(3rd UPDATE) This is Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra's first major decision in the pork barrel scam

STATE PROTECTION. Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra stops the state protection of Janet Lim Napoles.

PACC: Napoles not pork barrel 'mastermind', just 'willing beneficiary'

Mar 27, 2018 - 2:53 PM

According to PACC Commissioner Greco Belgica, only politicians could have led the multibillion-peso corruption scheme

PACC. President Rodrigo Roa Duterte discusses matters with Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) Chairman Dante Jimenez and other PACC officials prior to their oath-taking ceremony at the Malacañan Palace on March 6, 2018. KARL NORMAN ALONZO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

Revilla asks Supreme Court: Do something, I’m the only one left in jail

Mar 21, 2018 - 4:37 PM

The former senator and now plunder defendant files an urgent motion before the High Court requesting for ‘interim measures,’ one of which is provisional liberty

STRATEGY. Former senator Bong Revilla huddles with his legal team led by veteran litigator Estelito Mendoza as they continue wit their strategy of going the Supreme Court route. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Stephen David using Palace connections for Napoles?

Mar 20, 2018 - 4:36 PM

'[Medialdea] was asked by Atty David if he could overrule me, he said he could not, because he is of the same opinion as mine,' Aguirre says, referring to his opinion about the need for the Sandiganbayan's nod to transfer Napoles to a safehouse

INSIDE MALACAÑANG. Janet Napoles' lawyer Stephen David goes in and out of Malacañang and is able to challenge a justice secretary's position to the Executive Secretary, effectively the second president. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Law bars DOJ from taking custody of Janet Napoles – Sandiganbayan chief

Mar 19, 2018 - 5:49 PM

'BJMP is a secure facility, she's been there for quite some time, and we have not received a single report of threat,' says Presiding Justice Tang

Medialdea advised Napoles lawyer on jail transfer

Mar 19, 2018 - 3:25 PM

'[It's] because we are in a situation where we don't know what to do.... That's why we have to consult people in authority,' says Janet Lim Napoles' lawyer Stephen David, defending a meeting in Malacañang

JAIL TRANSFER. Janet Lim Napoles' lawyer Stephen David attends 3 consecutive hearings at Sandiganbayan on March 9, 2018, on the motion to transfer the businesswoman out of her regular jail and into a safehouse. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

No need for Janet Napoles: Cases vs LP lawmakers pending at Ombudsman

Mar 19, 2018 - 1:34 PM

Lawyer Levito Baligod had previously filed pork scam cases against 17 Liberal Party (LP) legislators and 8 non-LP legislators

CASES VS LP. Lawyer Levito Baligod is pursuing other pork barrel scam cases against members of opposition Liberal Party (LP) pending now at the Office of the Ombudsman.

Sandiganbayan to DOJ: Prove threats vs Janet Napoles

Mar 19, 2018 - 11:11 AM

First Division Justice Geraldine Faith Econg says lawyer Stephen David's story about a supposed ransacking incident inside the prison cell of Janet Napoles is ‘unimaginable’

SAFEHOUSE? Special Prosecutor Edilberto Sandoval talks to Janet Napoles' lawyer Stephen David before they attend the hearing on March 19, 2018, on the motion to move Napoles out of her regular jail and into a safehouse. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Ombudsman Morales: Janet Napoles' witness protection won't affect cases

Mar 16, 2018 - 3:49 PM

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales says the development will not affect the multiple counts of plunder and graft Janet Lim Napoles is facing before the Sandiganbayan

PDAF SCAM CASES. Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales is against the bid to place alleged pork scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles under the Witness Protection Program. File photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

CA affirms Masbate's Lanete barred from public office

Mar 07, 2018 - 9:35 PM

The Court of Appeals rules on the condonation doctrine that Rizalina Seachon Lanete invoked – the same doctrine being cited by Cebu's Gwendolyn Garcia in a separate case

Masbate governor and former representative Rizalina Seachon-Lanete is escorted by family members after she voluntarily surrendered at the Sandiganbayan in Quezon City on February 20. Lanete is facing graft and plunder charges in her alleged involement in the multimillion pork barrel scam. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Napoles jumps on 'main plunderer' bandwagon, asks SC for bail again

Feb 22, 2018 - 3:00 PM

Alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles files a supplemental petition using a principle that has worked for two plunder defendants in the past

MAIN PLUNDERER. Janet Lim Napoles files another petition at the Supreme Court, this time using a principle that has helped other plunder defendants.

Ex-Iloilo lawmaker indicted over P14.7-M pork scam

Jan 26, 2018 - 12:21 PM

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales approves the filing of one count of graft against former Iloilo 5th District representative Rolex Suplico

OMBUDSMAN. Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales wants to file all necessary charges in court connected to the PDAF scam before she retires in July 2018. Office of the Ombudsman Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

Jailed senators' Christmas: Revilla home Dec. 24, De Lima allowed visitors Dec. 25

Dec 21, 2017 - 2:10 PM

Bong Revilla has asked for furlough from the anti-graft court hearing his plunder case, while Leila de Lima only asks her family to be allowed to visit on Christmas

Philippines’ 12 biggest cases of 2017

Dec 16, 2017 - 3:18 PM

From jailing a sitting senator to debating the constitutionality of the Duterte administration's war on drugs, look back at the high-stakes judgments, decisions, and preliminary investigations of 2017

BIGGEST CASES. Characters of the pork barrel scam are back on the spotlight while their 'jailer' Leila de Lima ends up in prison for 3 counts of drug trade.

Bong Revilla again pushes for outright dismissal in plunder case

Dec 15, 2017 - 6:24 PM

Revilla's lawyers point out that some of the kickbacks cannot be traced back to any SARO

ROADBLOCK. Former senator Bong Revilla attends the hearing on December 7, 2017, where Sandiganbayan denied in open court his motion for leave to file a demurrer to evidence. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

Jinggoy asks court nod for Hong Kong family holiday

Dec 06, 2017 - 12:22 PM

'The family has been longing for bonding outside of the country,' plunder defendant Jinggoy Estrada tells the court

FAMILY PHOTO. Former senator Jinggoy Estrada with wife Precy and children after he completes the procedures for his release at the Sandiganbayan on September 16, 2017. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Sandiganbayan affirms Jinggoy Estrada bail grant

Nov 16, 2017 - 12:40 PM

'The court believes that the evidence presented by the prosecution in the bail hearings did not sufficiently establish that the accused was one of the main actors or masterminds in the so-called PDAF scam,' says the anti-graft court

FREE FOR NOW. Former Senator Jinggoy Estrada attends his hearing at the Sandiganbayan on September 18 as a free man. This was two days after he was granted bail by the Special 5th Division. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

Benhur Luy admits not seeing Gigi Reyes' signature on pork documents

Oct 26, 2017 - 4:56 PM

The Sandiganbayan begins hearing the bail petition of Gigi Reyes, former chief of staff of ex-senator Juan Ponce Enrile

BAIL HEARING. Lawyer Gigi Reyes attends the first day of her bail hearing at the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Revilla to seek outright dismissal of P224.5-M plunder case

Oct 03, 2017 - 5:00 PM

Contrary to his earlier plan, former senator Ramon 'Bong' Revilla Jr will no longer file a petition for bail

NO MORE BAIL. Former senator Bong Revilla says he trusts his lawyers' move to no longer move for bail, instead an outright dismissal through a demurrer of evidence. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Jinggoy Estrada accuses Ombudsman investigator of extort try in 2013

Oct 02, 2017 - 1:18 PM

Estrada, however, says his testimony will not be necessary if an investigation is indeed launched against the Office of the Ombudsman

PLUNDER HEARING. Former Senator Jinggoy Estrada confers with lawyers as he attends the hearing on his plunder case at the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan on October 2, 2017. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

Ex-Sandiganbayan chief argues for reversal of Jinggoy bail

Oct 02, 2017 - 12:06 PM

'It is very elementary that, in conspiracy, the act of one is the act of all,' Sandoval tells his former juniors at the anti-graft court

JINGGOY BAIL. Chief Special Prosecutor Edilberto Sandoval argues before the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan, of which he was the former presiding justice, to reverse the bail grant to Jinggoy Estrada. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Ex-Caloocan lawmaker indicted over P10-M PDAF scam

Sep 29, 2017 - 12:12 PM

Mary Mitzi Cajayon-Uy is the Executive Director of the Council for the Welfare of Children under the Department of Social Welfare and Development – the implementing agency of her alleged ghost projects

NEW POSITION. Mary Mitzi Cajayon-Uy takes her oath in Malacañang in July 2017 as the new Executive Director V of the Council for the Welfare of Children. Photo from CWC website

Former Caloocan Rep Baby Asistio indicted over P8M PDAF scam

Sep 26, 2017 - 11:49 AM

Also indicted is former Social Welfare secretary Esperanza Cabral for facilitating the anomalous transaction

PORK BARREL SCAM. Former Caloocan 2nd District Representative Luis “Baby” Asistio allegedly funneled P8 million worth of his pork barrel to an NGO with direct links to him. Photo from Luis Asistio's Facebook Page

The real issue behind Senator Jinggoy Estrada’s bail release

Sep 18, 2017 - 9:00 PM

The senator, accused of plunder, deserves to be released since he is not yet convicted. But this reasoning should apply as well to poor Filipinos in prolonged trial detention.

After Jinggoy, Napoles and Revilla will now move for bail too

Sep 18, 2017 - 2:28 PM

(UPDATED) 'Mas maganda na dahil luminaw na sa Arroyo case. ‘Yun ang parang magiging guide,' Napoles' lawyer says

PORK BARREL SCAM. Jinggoy Estrada's bail grant gives the camps of Janet Lim Napoles and Bong Revilla an additional push in their respective bids for bail.

Jinggoy Estrada 'praying hard' buddy Bong Revilla freed next

Sep 16, 2017 - 4:22 PM

(UPDATED) 'Sabi ko lakasan niya loob niya, at balang araw ay makakamit din niya ang kanyang kalayaan,' says former senator Jinggoy Estrada, recalling his words of encouragement to his buddy, detained former senator Bong Revilla

OUT ON BAIL. Former senator Jinggoy Estrada waves to his supporters and the media after leaving the PNP Custodial Center on September 16, 2017. Photo by Jasmin Dulay/Rappler

Jinggoy Estrada eyes PH-wide 'thank you tour'

Sep 16, 2017 - 3:26 PM

'I deny all the allegations against me. Wala po akong ninakaw,' former senator Jinggoy Estrada reiterates after gaining temporary freedom

FREEDOM. Former senator Jinggoy Estrada waves to his supporters and members of the press after going out of PNP Custodial Center on September 16, 2017 to pay his bail worth P1.33 million for plunder and graft charges. Photo by Jasmin Dulay/Rappler

Jinggoy Estrada free for now

Sep 16, 2017 - 10:25 AM

(2ND UPDATE) Former senator Jinggoy Estrada posts a P1.33-million bail for plunder and graft charges stemming from the pork barrel scam

FAMILY PHOTO. Forner senator Jinggoy Estrada with wife Precy and children after he completes the procedures for his release at the Sandiganbayan on September 16, 2017. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Sandiganbayan forms special division to decide on Jinggoy's bail

Sep 12, 2017 - 7:28 PM

This means that there was an impasse among the 3 justices of the 5th Division and that a decision may be forthcoming soon

BAIL PLEA. File photo of detained former senator Jinggoy Estrada on one of his furloughs granted by the court in his 3-year detention where he was given permission to attend the high school graduation of his son. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler


Napoles, Revilla camps try to block bank witnesses in plunder trial

Sep 07, 2017 - 6:08 PM

Bank records show withdrawals by Napoles NGOs

PLUNDER HEARING. Detained former senator Bong Revilla is into the 3rd month of his plunder trial arising from allegations that he received P224.5 million in kickbacks from his pork barrel. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Still no trial for Jinggoy Estrada; urges court to grant bail

Sep 04, 2017 - 12:15 PM

UPDATED The President knows what he is talking about being a prosecutor before says Estrada of Duterte who said he and Revilla should be granted bail

POSTPONED AGAIN. After a deferment of his plunder trial last July,  detained former senator Jinggoy Estrada's graft trial is also deferred to September 25. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Honasan posts bail in Laguna

Aug 11, 2017 - 2:52 PM

Senator Gregorio Honasan II posts bail of P60 000 for two counts of graft in connection with the pork barrel scam

ARRESTED. Senator Gringo Honasan voluntarily surrenders himself to the Biñan City Police Station.

Anti-graft court orders arrest of Senator Honasan over PDAF scam

Aug 10, 2017 - 2:47 PM

2nd UPDATE Honasan unable to post bail on Thursday

ARREST ORDER. Gringo Honasan is the 4th Senator charged over pork barrel scam. File photo by Rappler

Bong Revilla in plunder trial: I will be free soon

Aug 10, 2017 - 1:54 PM

Napoles lawyer also chimes in: It’s our impression that in the end it will benefit us

CONFIDENT. Detaned former senator Bong Revilla smiles after his plunder trial hearing at the Sandiganbayan on August 10, 2017. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

Faster trial seen in Bong Revilla plunder case

Aug 03, 2017 - 7:43 PM

Revilla s lawyer Estelito Mendoza is inclined to favor the proposal even as he continues to contest the witnesses relevance in the plunder case

WITNESSES. One of prosecution's witnesses, Piat Cagayan Vice Mayor Leonel Guzman (in beige jacket) exchange pleasantries with detained former senator Bong Revilla after the hearing at anti-graft court Sandiganbayan on August 3, 2017. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Benhur Luy's credibility under scrutiny in PDAF scam hearing

Aug 01, 2017 - 5:50 PM

Dennis Cunanan s lawyer asks Benhur Luy about his hard drive fake names that he signed for and his alleged direct dealings with a staff member of detained former senator Jinggoy Estrada

File photo of Benhur Luy taking the witness stand before Sandiganbayan First Division in 2014

Gringo Honasan is 4th senator charged over PDAF scam

Aug 01, 2017 - 3:54 PM

Unlike the 3 other senators who are being tried for plunder Honasan faces graft charges for not following procurement rules in 2012

CHARGED. Senator Gregorio "Gringo" Honasan is charged for 2 counts of graft over an irregular pork barrel project in 2012. File photo by Rappler

Local execs testify in Revilla plunder trial: 'We never got projects'

Jul 27, 2017 - 1:51 PM

Lawyer Estelito Mendoza counsel to the former senator says the witnesses testimonies have not established that the ghost projects were funded by his client s pork barrel

'I'M A VICTIM TOO.' Detained former senator Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr says on July 27, 2017 that he is also a victim in the ghost agricultural projects supposedly funded by his pork barrel. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Aquino on new PDAF scam probe, Napoles: 'I'm confused'

Jul 22, 2017 - 11:15 AM

The former president also defends former budget secretary Florencio Abad the apparent target of the DOJ s reinvestigation of the pork barrel scam

'PORK SCAM QUEEN'.Alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles attends a hearing at the Sandiganbayan in Quezon City on June 15, 2017. Photo by Darren Langit

Ex-Iloilo rep Niel Tupas Jr indicted for graft over PDAF scam

Jul 20, 2017 - 12:49 PM

UPDATED Former Iloilo Representative Niel Tupas Jr a member of the Liberal Party says his signatures were forged