Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation - updates

Rappler's latest stories on Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation

ARTICLE FINDER

Pagcor: Gambling to help economic future of PH post-coronavirus

Jun 10, 2020 - 12:35 PM

Pagcor CEO Andrea Domingo says gambling operations can revive restaurants, hotels, malls, transportation, and real estate

PSC gets 90% fund cut from Pagcor in April

Jun 02, 2020 - 2:53 PM

The Philippine Sports Commission only received P9 million in April, prompting the government agency to slash the allowances of national athletes and coaches

POGOs must pay taxes before resuming operations in lockdown – Pagcor

May 04, 2020 - 2:53 PM

The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation says revenue generated from them can be used to fund the government's coronavirus response

OPERATIONS RESUME. POGO workers in Makati City gather their belongings as they are instructed to work from home during the lockdown on March 18, 2020. Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler

Pagcor says POGOs donated P150M in medical supplies, food

Mar 21, 2020 - 4:53 PM

POGOs were previously sanctioned for not paying taxes

Coronavirus stops bingo and casinos, POGOs remain open

Mar 15, 2020 - 1:10 PM

Pagcor allows POGOs to continue operating, but with only a minimal number of workers


Pagcor gaming revenues up 11.7% in 2019

Feb 05, 2020 - 2:50 PM

Because of higher revenues in 2019, the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation is able to remit P56 billion to the government

Pagcor orders POGOs to quarantine new workers

Jan 28, 2020 - 7:40 AM

The predominantly Chinese industry is also told by Philippine regulators to 'exercise extreme caution' in hiring new employees amid the spread of the novel coronavirus in several countries

[ANALYSIS | Point of Law] The OSG and POGOs

Dec 02, 2019 - 7:00 PM

Does the Office of Solicitor General have the power to give advisory opinions to other government agencies like Pagcor?

Entertainment City firms slam DOTr order to transfer flights

Dec 02, 2019 - 6:00 PM

City of Dreams Manila, Solaire, and Resorts World representatives say transferring flights to Sangley Airport will inconvenience their VIP guests

TRANSFERRING FLIGHTS? Entertainment City firms said that transferring their charter flights from NAIA to Sangley Airport would be 'unreasonable'. File photo by Noel Celis/AFP)

Top casino execs to meet in Manila in December

Oct 09, 2019 - 8:40 PM

As the Philippines positions itself to be the top gambling destination in Asia, the country prepares to host one of the most highly anticipated gaming expos

Pagcor to step up security after 'kidnappings' of casino players

Aug 29, 2019 - 7:25 PM

The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation says it will enhance casino surveillance and coordinate with government agencies to nab kidnappers targeting casino players


Philippines collects P356 million from POGOs, as China condemns gambling

Aug 08, 2019 - 9:55 PM

The Chinese government wants gambling operators punished, but the Philippines wants to get more taxes from them

POGO hubs would protect Chinese workers' rights – Pagcor

Aug 08, 2019 - 5:25 PM

'When we refer to POGO hubs as self-contained communities, what we mean is that these hubs will have all the basic needs of the foreign employees of POGO,' says Pagcor Chairperson Andrea Domingo

China slams Pagcor proposal to place Chinese workers in 'hubs'

Aug 08, 2019 - 2:09 PM

(UPDATED) China expresses 'grave concern' over the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation’s plan to place Chinese workers in 'self-contained' communities to limit their interaction with locals

After lotto closure, lawmaker suggests Pagcor funds for CHED, PSC

Jul 30, 2019 - 3:40 PM

CHED and the PSC are among the government agencies that benefit from the revenue of the PCSO, whose gaming operations President Rodrigo Duterte recently shut down

RESPONSE TO PCSO CLOSURE. AKO Bicol Representative Alfredo Garbin Jr files House Resolution No 147 on July 30, 2019. File photo by Mara Cepeda/Rappler

Duterte to Pagcor chief Domingo: 'Magpasugal ka pa'

Jul 22, 2019 - 6:55 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte tells Pagcor chief Andrea Domingo to encourage gambling, as the agency's revenues soar due to online gambling

COA: P49-M fund remains idle under National Anti-Poverty Commission

May 26, 2019 - 7:50 PM

State auditors urge the National Anti-Poverty Commission and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation to extend the validity of their original agreement to properly use the funding

5 ex-Pagcor officials named in plunder, malversation complaint

Apr 21, 2019 - 9:00 PM

The former officials of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation are accused of anomalous disbursement of funds in 2012 and 2013

CA orders Pagcor to grant license for Waterfront casino

Dec 02, 2018 - 7:05 PM

The Court of Appeals upholds a previous ruling of a Manila court, saying that Waterfront submitted all requirements and Pagcor must act on its application

Photo from Waterfront Philippines' website

PAGCOR lenient to offshore operators, but stringent in govt remittance

Jul 18, 2018 - 6:29 PM

PAGCOR’s tolerance of offshore gaming operators who do not pay on time contrasts with how strict it is in limiting the amount it remits for the country’s sports programs and other national projects

INCOME SHARE. PAGCOR remits income share to the national government and Philippine Sports Commission based only on its income from gaming operations, contrary to the position of the Commission on Audit. File photo by Jay Directo/AFP

COA flags P345-M PAGCOR allowances, bonuses

Jul 18, 2018 - 3:21 PM

Among the findings of the Commission on Audit in its 2017 report on the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation is that top PAGCOR officials received transportation allowances on top of car plans

CAR ALLOWANCE. PAGCOR Chairman and CEO Andrea Domingo gets a transportation allowance on top of a car plan, says the Commission on Audit. Photo by Rambo Talabong/Rappler

Calida firm bags P150M in deals from gov't, including DOJ

May 27, 2018 - 1:56 PM

The Department of Justice, which supervises budget for the Office of the Solicitor General, awards contracts to a security agency owned by the family of Solicitor General Jose Calida

GOVERNMENT CONTRACTS. Solicitor General Jose Calida's security firm Vigilant wins contracts from government agencies including the Department of Justice.

Galaxy Entertainment's PH partner denies Boracay casino scrapped

Apr 17, 2018 - 8:25 PM

(UPDATED) Contrary to the statement of the Department of Tourism, Leisure & Resorts World Corporation says it has not abandoned its Boracay project with Galaxy Entertainment

Why Pagcor 'provisionally' approved Chinese firm's Boracay casino

Apr 11, 2018 - 7:55 PM

The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation clarifies Galaxy Entertainment Group and its local partner still need to follow a 'long and tedious' process before getting a regular casino gaming license

IN QUESTION. A joint venture between Chinese casino operator Galaxy Entertainment Group and Leisure & Resorts World Corporation bags a provisional gaming license – a few days before President Rodrigo Duterte's 6-month closure order. Photo by Angie de Silva/Rappler

Filinvest to build $200-million casino-hotel complex in Clark

Apr 05, 2018 - 5:35 PM

The real estate developer secures a provisional license for a casino in its 201-hectare Mimosa+ Leisure City development

PH travel, tourism sectors girding for planned Boracay shutdown

Mar 21, 2018 - 11:30 AM

Airlines and hotels will take a hit, if the government pushes through with its planned temporary closure of Boracay. But some developers say it won't delay the construction of major commercial developments in the island.

Aerial view of Boracay image from ShutterStock

Leisure & Resorts World Corp buys land for Boracay resort-casino

Mar 19, 2018 - 9:15 PM

Leisure & Resorts World Corporation and its Chinese partner Galaxy Entertainment Group Limited plan to build a $500-million integrated resort and casino on a 23-hectare land in Boracay

PLANNED CLOSURE. With the looming closure of Boracay Island for a year, tourism officials expect a sharp drop in arrivals at the Kalibo International Airport. File photo by Choi2451/Wikimedia.org

DOF unit proposes 1,400% increase in casino entrance fee

Jan 08, 2018 - 4:10 PM

The National Tax Research Center says this increase would discourage low-income earners from gambling and would also lead to higher revenue collection for infrastructure projects

HIGH ENTRANCE FEES. Tourist and casino players arrive at the grand opening of the City of Dreams mega-casino in Manila on February 2, 2015. Photo by Jay Directo/AFP

PhilWeb to resume gaming operations after getting Pagcor license

Oct 31, 2017 - 7:45 PM

The e-gaming firm expects to return to profitability by 2018

COA: Duterte has over P6 billion in discretionary funds

Jul 12, 2017 - 4:59 PM

The Office of the President s discretionary funds include a P1 4 billion donation of the Lopez owned Benpres Corporation to the government dating back to 1990 which remains untouched

Resorts World Manila resumes gaming operations

Jun 29, 2017 - 4:55 PM

The hotel casino presents its security plans and passes a Pagcor inspection leading to the lifting of the suspension order issued against it after the deadly June 2 attack

RESUMING OPERATIONS. The Resorts World Manila facade two days after the attack. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

Isabela lawmaker admits to gambling, defends politicians in casinos

Jun 21, 2017 - 3:45 PM

The lawmaker who filed the bill seeking a P3 000 casino entrance fee admits he also gambles but argues the law does not prohibit legislators from doing so

GAMBLING LAWMAKER. Representative Rodolfo Albano III says lawmakers are allowed to gamble because they were elected by the people, who supposedly about their activities already. Photo by Rappler

House holds final hearing on Resorts World attack

Jun 21, 2017 - 2:08 PM

David Chua chairman of Travellers International Hotel Group that owns and operates Resorts World has been subpoenaed to appear on Wednesday June 21

PROBE TO END. Resorts World Manila facade two days after the attack. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

CCTV monitoring team, funeral homes reps invited to Resorts World probe

Jun 13, 2017 - 7:42 PM

The House committees invite the Resorts World security team who were supposed to man the CCTV surveillance room but who left their posts during the attack on June 2

IN AID OF LEGISLATION. Three House committees will continue their probe into the deadly Resorts World attack on June 14. Photo by Inoue Jaena/Rappler

Resorts World Manila operator vows to 'defend' gaming license

Jun 13, 2017 - 6:00 PM

This comes after the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation s decision to suspend the provisional license of the casino

QUIET. Firemen break several windows at the height of the fire during the attack of the casino hotel complex on June 2, 2017. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

FAST FACTS: What you need to know about the Philippine casino industry

Jun 08, 2017 - 8:04 PM

Despite challenges Pagcor Chairperson Andrea Domingo says the local gaming industry s total revenues in 2017 may still expand to P160 billion

GAMING. The billion peso casino industry is in the spotlight as attacks on a luxury resort-casino led to the death of at least 36 people.

3 questions answered at House probe into Resorts World attack

Jun 08, 2017 - 12:43 PM

Lawmakers want to clip Pagcor s powers to grant licenses to casinos after Resorts World Manila management admitted security lapses in the June 2 incident

IN AID OF LEGISLATION. Lawmakers start their probe into the deadly Resorts World attack on June 7. Photo by Inoue Jaena/Rappler

Pagcor, BPI glitch, Trump | Evening wRap

Jun 07, 2017 - 9:42 PM

Watch evening newscast with Chay Hofileña

Resorts World Manila COO admits 'lapses in security' during attack

Jun 07, 2017 - 6:54 PM

Stephen Reilly: When we played the first videos I pointed out there should have been security personnel posted on certain points and they were not present

SECURITY LAPSES. Resort World Manila president Kingson Sian (left) and chief operating officer Stephen James Reilly (right) during the congressional probe on June 7. Photo by Inoue Jaena/Rappler

House to clip Pagcor powers after Resorts World attack

Jun 07, 2017 - 2:07 PM

Pagcor head Andrea Domingo says Resorts World failed to comply with a recent advisory to strengthen security measures

PAGCOR Chairperson Andrea Domingo during the Congressional committee hearing on Resort World Manila incident at the Dignitaries Louncge of NAIA Terminal 3 in Pasay City. PHOTO BY INOUE JAENA/RAPPLER

Gambling addiction: How the Philippines prevents, handles 'problem gamers'

Jun 06, 2017 - 2:15 PM

Local casinos are practicing minimum responsible gaming standards set by regulators But compared to global practices the Philippines seems to be just catching up

RESPONSIBLE GAMING. About 220 gamblers in the Philippines turned to a to self-exclusion program, volunteering to be banned from casinos in an attempt to go cold turkey. Rappler file photo

Gambling addiction responsibility of individuals, families – Pagcor

Jun 05, 2017 - 1:40 PM

The state can only do so much says Pagcor boss Andrea Domingo in the wake of the Resorts World Manila attack

GAMBLING NEEDED. PAGCOR Chairman and CEO Andrea Domingo defends the gaming industry saying that it contributes much to the Philippine economy. Photo by Rambo Talabong/Rappler

DOH targets release of smoking ban rules before SONA

May 30, 2017 - 3:45 PM

Local governments are encouraged to pass their own local ordinances that will implement Executive Order 26 and the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control

NO TO TOBACCO. Tobacco control advocates join the World Health Organization and the Department of Health to commemorate this year's World No Tobacco Day. Photo by Jee Y. Geronimo/Rappler

Dennis Uy to develop $300M resort and casino in Cebu

May 04, 2017 - 5:02 PM

Udenna plans to break ground for the integrated resort and casino in 3 months time It targets to complete the development in 2022

CEBU CASINO. Dubbed as Lapu-Lapu Leisure Mactan, the development will rise within a 12-hectare prime beachfront 6 kilometers, or a 20-minute drive, away from the Cebu airport. Rappler file photo

Pagcor imposes 5-year moratorium on new Metro Manila casinos

Mar 21, 2017 - 9:00 PM

The gaming regulator makes the decision in response to a position letter from investors seeking breathing space for the market to mature

LATEST ADDITION. Okada Manila, the $2-billion integrated resort casino of Japanese billionaire Kazuo Okada, is the latest addition to the growing number of casinos in Metro Manila. Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler

Don't believe Robredo, Pagcor chief tells ASEAN gaming summit

Mar 21, 2017 - 8:05 PM

The Philippines is one of the best places to invest in Andrea Domingo tells potential investors Ignore the noise she adds

'JUST NOISE.' Domingo (R) asks investors not to believe Vice-President Leni Robredo's (L) claims on police abuses in the course of the country's campaign against illegal drugs and criminality. Rappler file photo

News Briefs: March 3, 2017

Mar 03, 2017 - 8:27 AM

Stories from across the Philippines on Friday March 3

Duterte signs EO 13 to 'intensify' fight vs illegal gambling

Feb 10, 2017 - 10:04 AM

President Rodrigo Duterte orders law enforcement agencies PAGCOR and freeport authorities to report on the progress of the fight against illegal gambling every 6 months

WORKING PRESIDENT. President Rodrigo Duterte reads documents during the 12th Cabinet meeting at the Palace. Photo from Presidential Photographers Division

Offshore gaming boosts growth of Metro Manila office rentals

Feb 09, 2017 - 5:45 PM

Offshore gaming companies take more than 80 000 square meters of the space available according to Colliers International Philippines

DRIVING RENTALS. In 2016, 35 offshore gaming licenses have been issued by the PAGCOR. Photo of Manila Bay from Wikipedia.org

Pagcor income to augment NAPC funds

Jan 31, 2017 - 3:02 PM

UPDATED The budget will be used for NAPC s pilot anti poverty programs and the services of national government agencies that need more funding

CONTRACTUALS. Workers are given the option to reapply to the National Anti-Poverty Commission after lead convenor Liza Maza sacked them in early September.