Roxas Night Market - updates

Rappler's latest stories on Roxas Night Market

ARTICLE FINDER

Duterte’s ratings, Matobato’s surrender, Nobel Peace Prize | 6PM wRap

Oct 07, 2016 - 9:43 PM

Watch the 6PM wRap with Maria Ressa

Defense chief: 3 Davao bombing suspects arrested

Oct 07, 2016 - 4:04 PM

2nd UPDATE At a media briefing Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana shows an actual video of the Davao City bombing retrieved from the suspects whom he described as students of the late Malaysian bombmaker Marwan

SUSPECTS. Three suspects in the September 2 Davao City blast are presented at a news conference in Camp Aguinaldo on October 7, 2016. Photo by Joel Liporada/Rappler

19 Davao blast victims remain in hospital

Sep 15, 2016 - 9:00 AM

Of the 19 wounded still in care Julius Gallardo remains in intensive care The others have been transferred to hospital rooms though Junaib Usman is transferred to a private room in Ricardo Limso Hospital due to surgery

19 STILL IN CARE. Some of the injured blast victims were rushed to the San Pedro Hospital in Davao City following an explosion at a night market on September 2, 2016. Contributed photo

Davao blast: Pregnant victim dies in hospital

Sep 13, 2016 - 7:45 PM

Vicenta Depalubos Asperin was 6 months pregnant Her death brings to 15 the number of victims killed in the explosion at the Roxas Night Market last September 2

MEMORIAL. Flowers and the Philippine flag are left at a memorial for the Davao blast victims. Photo courtesy of Saim Iluis

How cities, provinces are tightening security after Davao blast

Sep 10, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Rappler lists localities where authorities have added police patrols set up checkpoints and increased security measures

Reward for Davao blast suspects raised to P3M

Sep 08, 2016 - 4:30 PM

While the reward for information on the suspects stays at P1 million the reward for their arrest is now P2 million says the Davao City government

MAIN SUSPECT. Police are looking for this man, described by witnesses as slim and 5'7" tall

Davao blast: What we know so far

Sep 08, 2016 - 9:48 AM

Police are now hunting down one suspect and at least 3 persons of interest

PNP photo

PH stocks dip over security concerns, political 'uncertainty'

Sep 07, 2016 - 9:30 PM

The Philippine Stock Exchange index PSEi closes at 7 619 10 on Wednesday September 7 – its lowest since July 27

ANXIOUS INVESTORS. The recent terrorist attack and President Duterte's statement on US President Obama have some investors skittish

Investors play wait-and-see on Davao blast, Duterte's ASEAN meet

Sep 06, 2016 - 4:30 PM

Analysts say investors are closely monitoring developments both inside and outside the country as President Rodrigo Duterte makes his international debut at the ASEAN Summit

President Rodrigo Duterte salutes the honor guards upon his arrival at Wattay International Airport in Vientiane, Laos on September 5 to participate in ASEAN Summit. KING RODRIGUEZ/PPD

Dela Rosa: ‘We relaxed a bit and terrorists outplayed us’

Sep 05, 2016 - 8:02 PM

Terrorism is like a play off series Naisahan nila kami Maiisahan din naming sila and ultimately ang gobyerno ang magcha champion says the PNP chief

'WE SHALL PREVAIL.' Philippine National Police Director, General Ronald 'Bato' dela Rosa (shown here with Police Regional Office 3 Director Chief Superintendent Aaron Aquino, R) during a press conference in Camp Olivas, Pampanga, on September 5, 2016, vows to get the perpetrators of the Davao City blast. Photo by Jun A. Malig/Rappler

Nograles asks congressmen to donate to Davao blast victims

Sep 05, 2016 - 6:54 PM

Davao City 1st District Representative Karlo Nograles urges his fellow congressmen to each donate P5 000

Davao City 1st District Representative Karlos Nograles delivers a privilege speech on September 5, 2016, urging lawmakers to donate P5,000 each to a fund for the families of Davao blast victims

Duterte signs state of nat'l emergency proclamation

Sep 05, 2016 - 6:46 PM

UPDATED Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea confirms President Rodrigo Duterte signed a proclamation declaring a state of national emergency on account of lawless violence

Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

WATCH: Heightened security in Davao City after blast

Sep 05, 2016 - 6:15 PM

More law enforcers patrol the streets and conduct inspections on the first weekday since the deadly explosion

Arroyo: Duterte did 'right thing' by declaring state of lawlessness

Sep 05, 2016 - 2:55 PM

When I used to have those problems in Mindanao I used to ask President Duterte to handle it for me And he handled it very well for me says former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo

DEJA VU. President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, who declared a state of lawless violence in 2003 in Davao City, backed President Rodrigo Duterte's announcement of a state of lawlessness in the Philippines. Photo by Patty Pasion/Rappler

Davao blast, Scarborough Shoal, Mother Teresa | 12PM wRap

Sep 05, 2016 - 12:42 PM

Watch Rappler’s 12PM newscast with Maria Ressa

Sara Duterte: P2M for info, arrest of blast suspects

Sep 05, 2016 - 8:43 AM

3rd UPDATE The mayor says P1 million will go to those who provide information on the suspects while another P1 million will go to whoever could bring the suspects to authorities

A scene after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

De Lima on Davao blast: Don't paint picture of conspiracy

Sep 04, 2016 - 11:45 PM

The senator also urges the public to remind the government of the limits of its power and call out any abuse that could arise

House leaders condemn Davao City blast

Sep 04, 2016 - 8:20 PM

House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez and the leaders of the majority and minority blocs issue a resolution expressing outrage over the deadly attack

At least 14 people died while scores were injured after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

No curfew under 'state of lawlessness' – DND chief

Sep 04, 2016 - 6:10 PM

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana s statement comes after Communications Secretary Martin Andanar says curfews will certainly be implemented in Davao City Sulu and Basilan

SECURITY BREACH. At least 14 people die while dozens are injured after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

WATCH: Robredo visits survivors, victims of Davao City blast

Sep 04, 2016 - 5:35 PM

UPDATED Vice President Leni Robredo condoles with the families of those who died from the Roxas Night Market explosion

SPECIAL VISITOR. Vice President Leni Robredo visits survivors of the Davao City blast in Southern Philippines Medical Center. Photo from Office of the Vice President

Empty streets, full funeral homes on weekend after Davao City blast

Sep 04, 2016 - 5:00 PM

On the Sunday after the blast roads and public places lack the usual crowds but memorial chapels are full of mourners

UNEXPECTED LOSS. The family members of blast victim Christian Denver Reyes attend his wake in Davao City. Photo by Pia Ranada/Rappler

Davao blast: 'We can, we must' stand up now

Sep 04, 2016 - 2:57 PM

It isn t fear that grips the streets of Davao City after Friday night It s shock uncertainty

VIGIL. Flowers, candles, and posters in solidarity with the victims and survivors of Friday's blast. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

How 'state of lawlessness' was miscommunicated

Sep 04, 2016 - 10:00 AM

The conflicting statements about the state of lawlessness declared by the President leave the public in a state of confusion Who s responsible?

AT THE BLAST SITE. President Rodrigo Duterte arrrives at the site of an explosion at a nigth market in Davao City on September 3, 2016. Photo by AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO

Countries issue travel warnings after Davao bombing

Sep 04, 2016 - 9:39 AM

At least 5 countries issue travel warnings after the Davao City explosion that killed 14 and left more than 60 others wounded

DAVAO BOMBING. Explosion at a night market in Davao City on September 2, killing at least 14 people and injuring at least 71. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

Dela Rosa: Not time to point fingers

Sep 04, 2016 - 8:00 AM

Davao regional police assure locals that the city and its neighboring provinces are safe

NO BLAMING. PNP chief Ronald '€œBato'€ dela Rosa says during a press conference at Camp Crame on September 3 the PNP is on red alert. Photo by Joel Liporada/Rappler

Abe to Duterte: Japan stands in solidarity with PH

Sep 03, 2016 - 11:17 PM

Japan stands with the Philippines when Your Excellency and people of the Philippines are overcoming this difficulty in solidarity Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says in a message to President Duterte

SOLIDARITY. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (right) sends a message to President Rodrigo Duterte (left) condemning the attack on Davao City. He also condoled with the families of the victims.

PNP chief: IED caused Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 8:49 PM

UPDATED Davao region police are tracking down 4 persons of interest – two men and two women – whose sketches have yet to be released to the public

DAVAO BLAST BRIEFING. PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa responds to media queries at the PRO11 headquarters where he attended a Command Conference on September 3, 2016. Photo by Bea Cupin/Rappler

Police tighten security in Cebu, Central Visayas after Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 7:50 PM

While there have been no specific threats made on the second largest metropolitan area in the Philippines police officials say they will not be complacent in ramping up security in the region

Police visibility increases in Metro after Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 6:17 PM

The Armed Forces of the Philippines also assures the public: There will be no independent military operations to be conducted We will always be in tandem with the PNP

POLICE VISIBILITY. Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) personnel patrol the streets of Manila on September 3, 2016, as Davao City and Metro Manila is placed on high alert following the Friday night blast. Photo by Noel Celis/AFP

IN PHOTOS: Blast in Davao City

Sep 03, 2016 - 5:10 PM

Witnesses say they heard a loud bang and saw smoke from the site of the explosion a massage area in the market

At least 14 people died while scores were injured after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

DSWD to provide stress debriefing after Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 3:42 PM

The DSWD will also coordinate with local government authorities on additional measures that need to be taken Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo says

AFTERMATH. Injured victims from the Roxas Night Market bombing inside a hospital in Davao City on September 3. Photo by Editha Caduaya/Rappler

After Davao blast, AFP on heightened alert in Metro

Sep 03, 2016 - 3:05 PM

The AFP is already mobilizing around 400 personnel that will be under the Joint Task Force National Capital Region

HEIGHTENED ALERT. SWAT personnel patrol the streets of Manila on September 3, 2016. Photo by Noel Celis/AFP

Business groups react to 'state of lawlessness'

Sep 03, 2016 - 3:01 PM

It can be seen in two ways: a means to step up the campaign against drugs and terrorism as well as a threat to potential investors

EXPLOSION. SOCO investigators at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City following an explosion on September 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/AFP

Before the blast: Memories of the Roxas Night Market

Sep 03, 2016 - 2:57 PM

A young Davao City resident shares her memories of the Roxas Night Market before it was destroyed by a deadly explosion on Friday night September 2

ROXAS NIGHT MARKET. The night market was every Davaoeño’s happy place. Photo by Lira Valderama

Lawmakers condemn Davao blast, reaffirm support for Duterte

Sep 03, 2016 - 2:56 PM

UPDATED Congressmen call for continued public support for President Rodrigo Duterte who has declared a nationwide state of lawlessness but a few of their colleagues caution against the declaration

BLAST SITE. President Rodrigo Duterte visits the blast site that left 14 people dead and 60 injured in Davao City on September 3, 2016. Photo by Robinson Ninal/PPD

Stars offer prayers after Davao explosion

Sep 03, 2016 - 2:06 PM

Vice Ganda apl de ap Gary Valenciano and many more speak up after an explosion in Davao kills at least 14 people

#PRAYFORDAVAO. Robin Padilla, Bea Alonzo, apl.de.ap, and Josh Duhamel are some of the stars who spoke up about the Davao explosion on social media. File photos by Rob Reyes/Alecs Ongcal/Rappler, Jean Baptiste Lacroix/Dave Mangels/Getty Images North America/AFP

Davao blast: Man leaves backpack after massage

Sep 03, 2016 - 1:09 PM

At least 15 of the more than 60 wounded go through surgery

In this photo taken on September 2, 2016 a police investigator collects evidence next to a dead body lying on the ground, at the site of an explosion at a night market in Davao City, in southern island of Mindanao, on late September 2, 2016. At least 10 people died and dozens were injured when an explosion rocked Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's home city of Davao on September 2, 2016 night, police told AFP. The explosion occurred in a bustling part of the city and close to one of its top hotels that is popular with tourists and business people, city spokeswoman Catherine dela Rey said. / AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO

LIVE BLOG: Davao night market blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Get the latest updates on the Friday night September 2 bombing at the Davao night market

Police investigators collect evidence next to dead bodies lying on the ground, at the site of an explosion at a night market in Davao City. AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO

Making sense of Duterte's declaration of state of lawlessness

Sep 03, 2016 - 11:37 AM

For now Duterte s declaration does not appear to lead us to a slippery slope But we must be vigilant

TROOPS. President Duterte with soldiers in a recent visit to a camp in the Visayas.

Robredo condemns Davao explosion: 'Senseless and criminal act'

Sep 03, 2016 - 11:34 AM

Other officials slam the attack on Davao city including ARMM Governor Mujiv Hataman who says the Abu Sayyaf – which has claimed responsibility for the attack – has again proven to be the biggest traitor of Islam

CALL FOR UNITY. Vice President Leni Robredo calls for 'calm and collective action' after the Davao City blast that killed at least 14 people. File photo from the Office of the Vice President

Duterte cancels Brunei trip after Davao City blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 10:38 AM

UPDATED Filipinos in Brunei are told that Duterte s visit has been postponed

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (C) arrrives at the site of an explosion at a nigth market in Davao City in southern island of Mindanao early September 3, 2016. At least 10 people died and dozens were injured when an explosion rocked Duterte's home city of Davao on September 2, 2016 night, police told AFP. The explosion occurred in a bustling part of the city and close to one of its top hotels that is popular with tourists and business people, city spokeswoman Catherine dela Rey said. / AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO

CBCP on Davao blast: Respond with peace, not vengeance

Sep 03, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Violence shocks us Acts of terrorism jolt us When fellowmen die a part of our humanity dies too CBCP president Archbishop Socrates Villegas says

PEACE, NOT VENGEANCE. Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas, president of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines, calls for peace after a deadly explosion in Davao City. File photo from RTVM

What's a 'state of lawlessness'?

Sep 03, 2016 - 10:05 AM

UPDATED Expect to see more soldiers policemen and checkpoints in key areas Curfews can be imposed as the need arises

US, Australia condole with victims of Davao explosion

Sep 03, 2016 - 9:22 AM

UPDATED The United States is the first foreign government to convey its condolences to victims of the explosion in President Rodrigo Duterte s hometown

DAVAO EXPLOSION. An explosion at a night market in Davao City on September 2, 2016, kills at least 14 people and injures over others. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

At least 14 killed in Davao explosion

Sep 03, 2016 - 8:58 AM

UPDATED The explosion at a Davao City night market has injured over 60 people including a pregnant woman who is in intensive care

FATAL ATTACK. An explosion at a night market in Davao City on September 2, killing at least 14 people and injured over 60 others. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

Abu Sayyaf claims responsibility for Davao blast – report

Sep 03, 2016 - 8:28 AM

UPDATED Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana also says that we can only assume that this was perpetrated by the terrorist group Abu Sayyaf

DAVAO BLAST. An explosion at a night market in Davao City kills around a dozen people on September 2. Photo by Fr JBoy Gonzales, SJ

PNP on full alert status after Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 7:03 AM

UPDATED The Philippine National Police orders doubled security in all seaports airports terminals malls and other public areas following the Davao explosion

EXPLOSION. An explosion at a night market in Davao City on September 2, 2016, killed at least 12 people and wounded at least 60. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

Duterte declares state of lawlessness in PH

Sep 03, 2016 - 6:21 AM

5th UPDATE The declaration is to ensure coordinated efforts between the police and the military in the government s fight against terrorism and illegal drugs the President says

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte speaks to members of the media as he visits the site of an explosion at a nigth market in Davao City in southern island of Mindanao early September 3, 2016.  At least 10 people died and dozens were injured when an explosion rocked Duterte's home city of Davao on September 2, 2016 night, police told AFP. The explosion occurred in a bustling part of the city and close to one of its top hotels that is popular with tourists and business people, city spokeswoman Catherine dela Rey said. / AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO

Davao City to put up checkpoints after explosion – Palace

Sep 03, 2016 - 3:11 AM

President Duterte presides over an emergency meeting with Davao City officials Families of the dead will be given P25 000 says Communications Secretary Andanar

HELPING VICTIMS. Emergency teams help those injured from the Davao City blast. Photo from Fr Jboy Gonzales, SJ

Duterte to push through with foreign trips after Davao City blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 2:39 AM

It is up to the President if he will stay in Davao City or fly back to Manila for his safety says Communications Secretary Martin Andanar

EMERGENCY. Law enforcers, medical personnel arrive at the scene of an explosion in Davao City on September 2, 2016. Photo from Fr JBoy Gonzales, SJ