chat apps - updates

Rappler's latest stories on chat apps

ARTICLE FINDER

Telegram secretly plans 'Gram' cryptocurrency

Sep 04, 2019 - 11:37 AM

Reports say Russian-founded Telegram aims to create an accessible service that is easier to use than various cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin

Discord's game store to have 90/10 split in 2019

Dec 18, 2018 - 7:20 PM

Discord's revenue sharing agreement will be 90% in favor of the developer, with the remaining 10% covering 'operating costs, and we’ll explore lowering it by optimizing our tech and making things more efficient'

Facebook simplifies Messenger app

Oct 24, 2018 - 7:39 PM

The new version, currently being rolled out, has 3 tabs instead of 9

Image from Facebook


Yahoo Messenger shutting down July 17

Jun 12, 2018 - 5:55 PM

Users of the messaging app can download their chat history before its shutdown

Iran removes block on Telegram

Jan 14, 2018 - 4:40 PM

Iranian officials confirm the app can now be used again after the lifting of restrictions imposed during recent protests

WhatsApp ending BlackBerry OS, Windows Phone support

Dec 27, 2017 - 10:51 AM

While users of BlackBerry OS and Windows Phone 8.0 can still use WhatsApp, some features may stop working, and users will be unable to make new accounts or reverify their accounts on the operating systems mentioned

PH to charge widow of slain militant for recruiting fighters to join Marawi siege

Dec 01, 2017 - 7:06 PM

Prosecutors say Karen Hamidon, widow of the late founder of Ansarul Khilafa Philippines, used messaging apps Telegram and WhatsApp to promote IS activities

CHARGED. Karen Aizha Hamidon is presented during a press conference at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Manila on October 18, 2017. Authorities arrested Hamidon who allegedly used the Internet and social media to recruit followers around the world for Islamist "terrorist acts," government lawmen said. Photo by Noel Celis/AFP

New Snapchat 'Groups' allow chats with up to 16 users

Dec 13, 2016 - 11:51 PM

The move comes after reports that Snapchat parent firm Snap Inc filed confidentially for a public share offering valuing the disappearing messaging platform at more than 20 billion

SNAPCHAT. This file photo taken on November 13, 2013 shows a logo of Snapchat at the front entrance of headquarters of Snapchat in Venice, California. File photo by Kevork Djansezian/ Getty Images / AFP

WhatsApp comes out with cross-platform video calling

Nov 15, 2016 - 6:51 PM

Users will be able to make video calls to other WhatsApp users whether they re on Android iPhone or Windows Phone devices

Group chat app Public puts conversations out in the open

Jun 20, 2016 - 3:31 PM

The appropriately named Public calls itself a platform for people to chat out loud and share their great conversations with the world

PUBLIC. A new group chat app is born. Image from Public announcement page.

Work chat app Pie raises $1.2M in funding

Jun 11, 2015 - 5:35 PM

This latest round of funding comes from GREE Ventures Koh Boon Hwee Wavemaker Partners DFJ Network Dennis Goh and Ivan Yeo of YSS Capital

PIE. Image from Pie website.

Text without load or Internet: The future of messaging

Apr 15, 2015 - 1:33 PM

Learn more about Firechat the world s first off the grid mobile messaging app at Rappler s ThinkPH forum on April 30

Be careful who you chat: tips on using messaging apps

Mar 25, 2015 - 8:05 AM

Internet freedom advocates offer advice on how to protect privacy and security when using chat apps like Line WeChat and Kakao Talk

'KNOW RISKS.' Internet freedom advocates say chat app users must know privacy and security risks that come with the messaging craze. Photo by Kimimasa Mayama/EPA

Meet Moody! Rappler launches stickers on LINE

Dec 23, 2014 - 1:11 PM

Want LINE stuffed toys? 30 lucky followers of Rappler on LINE from Metro Manila can take one each

TechRap: Most memorable Nokia phones of all time

Apr 27, 2014 - 6:46 PM

Goodbye Nokia Microsoft changes phone giant name to Microsoft Mobile WhatsApp still no 1 and the most notable Nokia phones of all time

TechRap: ASUS Transformer Book Trio

Feb 27, 2014 - 2:53 PM

We review the Windows Laptop Android tablet in one the Asus Transformer Book Trio plus news on Facebook WhatsApp and the Galaxy S5