firecracker-related injuries - updates

Rappler's latest stories on firecracker-related injuries

ARTICLE FINDER

Firecracker-related injuries rise to 55 – DOH


Dec 31, 2018 - 9:43 AM

The Department of Health says nearly half of the injuries were caused by illegal firecrackers

INJURED. The firecracker-related injuries recorded so far this year are increasing, but the DOH says the tally is still below the 5-year-average. File photo by Noel Celis/Rappler

Sereno in Pulse Asia survey, Roque on CA ruling on Joel Reyes, Bannon apology | Evening wRap

Jan 08, 2018 - 7:14 PM

Watch the evening newscast with Mara Cepeda

27% drop in firecracker-related injuries for New Year 2018 – DOH

Jan 08, 2018 - 3:20 PM

There are also no reported deaths, no cases of firecracker ingestion, and no stray bullet injuries from December 21, 2017 to January 5, 2018

Erich Romano Tumpalan 12 years old, undergone medical treatment at the East Avenue Medical Center emergency room after hit by firecracker (Plapla) at Barangay Batasan in Quezon City on Monday. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

#ThewRap: Videos you need to watch this week, January 1-7, 2018

Jan 07, 2018 - 1:17 PM

Must-watch videos from this week

Firecracker ban, Tropical Depression Agaton, New Year in New York | Evening wRap

Jan 01, 2018 - 8:06 PM

Watch Rappler’s evening newscast with Mara Cepeda

DOH considers recommending total firecracker ban to Duterte

Jan 01, 2018 - 12:26 PM

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III says imposing a total ban on firecrackers would require the government to provide alternative sources of livelihood to vendors who would lose their jobs

TOTAL BAN? A worker loads powder into a luces shell at a fireworks factory in Bocaue, Bulacan on December 26, 2017. File photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

77% drop in firecracker-related injuries vs 5-year average

Jan 01, 2018 - 10:36 AM

(4th UPDATE) Health Secretary Francisco Duque III says there were only 191 cases of firecracker-related injuries as of January 1, a big drop from last year

FIRECRACKER INJURY. One of 12 patients treated at the Jose R. Reyes Memorial Hospital  in Sta. Cruz, Manila, due tofirecracker-related injuries on January 1, 2018. Photo by Angie de Silva/Rappler

86 firecracker-related injuries as of December 31 – DOH

Dec 31, 2017 - 4:19 PM

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III says they are seeing a 'downward trend' in the number of cases, crediting the President's ban on firecracker use in private residences

INSPECTION. DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III examines medical tools to be used at the Jose R Reyes Memorial Medical Center to treat firecracker-related injuries. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

PNP hails DOH for #IwasPaputok success

Jan 01, 2017 - 4:14 PM

UPDATED The number of fireworks related injuries is 60 lower than the 5 year average from 2011 to 2015

'RESOUNDING SUCCESS.' PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa is happy that the number of firecracker-related injuries was minimized this year. File photo by Joel Liporada/Rappler

Ubial: EO on firecracker ban will help deter indiscriminate firing

Jan 01, 2017 - 4:04 PM

DOH Secretary Paulyn Ubial also says once President Rodrigo Duterte signs the proposed Executive Order authorities would be able to regulate the use of firecrackers and reduce injuries

INJURED. Doctors and nurses at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Centre in Manila attend to victims of firecrackers during the New Year revelry on Sunday, January 1, 2017. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

DOH: 141 fireworks-related injuries ahead of the New Year

Dec 31, 2016 - 10:12 AM

A DOH official says the figure is 34 lower than the 214 cases recorded during the same period last year

INJURED. The DOH continues to monitor firecracker-related injuries ahead of the New Year. File photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

Eco group holds anti-firecracker parade in QC

Dec 30, 2016 - 12:28 PM

Around 500 residents and local officials join the parade urging the public to ditch firecrackers in welcoming the New Year

ANTI-FIRECRACKER PARADE. Barangay Project 6 officials and residents in Quezon City flaunt alternative noisemakers mostly from recycled materials to welcome the New Year in a safe and non-toxic way at an event lead by the EcoWaste Coalition on Friday at the Barangay Hall. Photo by Darren Langit

#IwasPaputok: Firecracker-related injuries rise to 90

Dec 28, 2016 - 1:35 PM

Around 50 of firecracker related injuries as of December 28 were recorded in Metro Manila the Department of Health says

DANGEROUS TRADITION. A man injured by a firecracker arrives at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Manila early on January 1, 2014, after New Year celebrations. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

#IwasPaputok: 70 firecracker-related injuries as of Dec 27

Dec 27, 2016 - 2:45 PM

More than half of the injuries are caused by illegal firecrackers such as the piccolo

DOH drafting EO to limit firecracker use in PH

Oct 12, 2016 - 5:50 PM

Health Secretary Paulyn Ubial expects President Rodrigo Duterte to sign the executive order before November

DOH: 839 injured in New Year revelry

Jan 04, 2016 - 7:02 PM

Most firecracker related injuries are in Metro Manila

INJURED. A Filipino woman (L) waits for medical personnel as a reveler (C) injured from a firework accident rests at a government hospital during the celebration of New Year in Manila, Philippines, January 1, 2016. Photo by Mark Cristino/EPA

At least 458 fireworks-related injuries in 2015 – DOH

Jan 02, 2016 - 1:50 PM

An environmental watchdog also urges the government to declare an all out war against the piccolo the banned firecracker responsible for 78 of the injuries

FIREWORKS OVER FIRECRACKER. Still emphasizing its call for a total ban on firecrackers, the Department of Health wants Filipinos to celebrate the new year in the future by just watching public fireworks display. Photo by Mark R. Cristino/EPA

Firecracker-related injuries rise to 185

Dec 31, 2015 - 2:26 PM

Police says 5 civilians a soldier and a policeman were arrested for illegally firing their guns

NEW YEAR INJURIES. Filipino revelers injured from a firework accident queue for treatment inside a government hospital during celebration of New Year in Manila on January 1, 2015. Photo by Ritchie B. Tongo/EPA

Stray bullet kills 9-year-old girl in Bulacan

Dec 29, 2015 - 11:31 AM

UPDATED The girl who was hit by a stray bullet while playing outside her home is the first recorded victim of a stray bullet this holiday season

Firecracker-related injuries at 111, piccolo still main cause – DOH

Dec 28, 2015 - 2:25 PM

Health officials say majority of the incidents involved children and Metro Manila residents

NO TO FIRECRACKERS. The Department of Health urges the public against the use of firecrackers in welcoming the New Year.