firecrackers - updates

Rappler's latest stories on firecrackers

ARTICLE FINDER

DOH reminds public: Skip firecrackers this New Year's eve

Dec 05, 2019 - 4:11 PM

The Department of Health has seen a downward trend in the number of firecracker-related injuries from 2017 to 2018, but says much is to be done to keep the number at zero

SKIP FIRECRACKERS. The Department of Health is calling on the public to skip firecrackers in their celebration of New Year.

Customs seizes P60M worth of smuggled sugar, firecrackers in Subic port

Apr 27, 2019 - 11:18 AM

Customs officials say the 34 containers were misdeclared to contain floor mats and plastic covering

Customs Commissioner Rey Guerrero and District Collector Maritess Martin show some of the smuggled goods confiscated at the Port of Subic on April 26, 2019. Photo by Randy Datu/Rappler

Duterte to order ban on firecrackers

Jan 10, 2019 - 9:41 PM

Previously, President Rodrigo Duterte had issued an executive order limiting the use of fireworks to community displays

PNP Director General Oscar Albayalde inspects confiscated prohibited firecrackers after inspecting stalls in Bocaue, Bulacan on December 28, 2018.  Photo by Ben Nabong

Firecracker-related injuries rise to 55 – DOH


Dec 31, 2018 - 9:43 AM

The Department of Health says nearly half of the injuries were caused by illegal firecrackers

INJURED. The firecracker-related injuries recorded so far this year are increasing, but the DOH says the tally is still below the 5-year-average. File photo by Noel Celis/Rappler

Firecrackers a waste of money and dangerous – Red Cross

Dec 29, 2018 - 4:46 PM

Red Cross advises the public to keep safe during the New Year's Eve revelry

Sereno in Pulse Asia survey, Roque on CA ruling on Joel Reyes, Bannon apology | Evening wRap

Jan 08, 2018 - 7:14 PM

Watch the evening newscast with Mara Cepeda

27% drop in firecracker-related injuries for New Year 2018 – DOH

Jan 08, 2018 - 3:20 PM

There are also no reported deaths, no cases of firecracker ingestion, and no stray bullet injuries from December 21, 2017 to January 5, 2018

Erich Romano Tumpalan 12 years old, undergone medical treatment at the East Avenue Medical Center emergency room after hit by firecracker (Plapla) at Barangay Batasan in Quezon City on Monday. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

#ThewRap: Videos you need to watch this week, January 1-7, 2018

Jan 07, 2018 - 1:17 PM

Must-watch videos from this week

More than half of Western Visayas firecracker victims are minors

Jan 04, 2018 - 8:57 PM

Negros Occidental reports the most number of cases among the region’s 6 provinces

Firecracker ban, Tropical Depression Agaton, New Year in New York | Evening wRap

Jan 01, 2018 - 8:06 PM

Watch Rappler’s evening newscast with Mara Cepeda

DOH considers recommending total firecracker ban to Duterte

Jan 01, 2018 - 12:26 PM

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III says imposing a total ban on firecrackers would require the government to provide alternative sources of livelihood to vendors who would lose their jobs

TOTAL BAN? A worker loads powder into a luces shell at a fireworks factory in Bocaue, Bulacan on December 26, 2017. File photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

77% drop in firecracker-related injuries vs 5-year average

Jan 01, 2018 - 10:36 AM

(4th UPDATE) Health Secretary Francisco Duque III says there were only 191 cases of firecracker-related injuries as of January 1, a big drop from last year

FIRECRACKER INJURY. One of 12 patients treated at the Jose R. Reyes Memorial Hospital  in Sta. Cruz, Manila, due tofirecracker-related injuries on January 1, 2018. Photo by Angie de Silva/Rappler

Village councilor arrested for firecracker use in Iloilo City

Jan 01, 2018 - 9:26 AM

Police nab Barangay Alalasan Kagawad Ricky Paloa after he lit a firecracker outside the designated zone, in violation of Executive Order 28

86 firecracker-related injuries as of December 31 – DOH

Dec 31, 2017 - 4:19 PM

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III says they are seeing a 'downward trend' in the number of cases, crediting the President's ban on firecracker use in private residences

INSPECTION. DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III examines medical tools to be used at the Jose R Reyes Memorial Medical Center to treat firecracker-related injuries. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

Iwas Paputok also means a fire-free New Year celebration – BFP

Dec 30, 2017 - 6:51 PM

The Bureau of Fire Protection urges the public to strictly observe safety measures to prevent fire incidents in welcoming 2018

BFP REMINDER. BFP-NCR Pasig firefighters distribute fire-safety leaflets in the community. Photo grabbed from BFP-NCR Pasig Fire Station facebook

Follow firecracker law to avoid injuries, says Malacañang

Dec 30, 2017 - 6:13 PM

Communications Secretary Martin Andanar also reminds the public to cooperate with the Philippine National Police

INJURED. The DOH continues to monitor firecracker-related injuries ahead of the New Year in 2014. File photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

At least 20 injured in NCR due to firecrackers

Dec 28, 2017 - 4:12 PM

The NCRPO chief also reiterates a ‘one-strike policy’ against cops caught discharging their firearms as part of the holiday revelry

NEW YEAR, NEW INJURIES. Doctors and nurses at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Centre in Manila attend to victims of firecrackers during the New Year revelry on Sunday, January 1, 2017. File photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Locations of firecracker zones in Metro Manila for New Year's Eve

Dec 27, 2017 - 10:31 AM

(UPDATED) A complete ban on firecrackers is imposed in Las Piñas, Muntinlupa, Parañaque, Pasig, and Pateros

NEW YEAR PREPS. Firecrackers and luces workers load a powder or polvora inside luces shells at a fireworks factory in Bocaue, Bulacan on December 26, 2107. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

NCRPO aims for zero firecracker injuries, no indiscriminate firing

Dec 26, 2017 - 12:30 AM

The National Capital Region Police Office urges Metro Manila residents to welcome 2018 safely

Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

DOH targets zero firecracker injuries for New Year 2018

Dec 04, 2017 - 6:42 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte has issued an executive order limiting firecrackers to community fireworks displays to hopefully avoid injuries and casualties

'BE SAFE.' The health department parners with other agencies and local governments to hopefully achieve zero injuries during merrymaking to welcome 2018. Rappler file photo

Ubial hopes for fewer firecracker injuries after signing of EO

Jun 21, 2017 - 8:40 PM

Health Secretary Paulyn Ubial says the implementing rules and regulations of the executive order need to go through one last round of vetting among stakeholders

SIGNED. Health Secretary Paulyn Ubial welcomes the signing of the executive order that limits the use of firecrackers to 'community displays.' Firecrackers photo by Joel Nito/AFP. Ubial file photo by Lito Boras/Rappler.

Duterte limits use of firecrackers to 'community displays'

Jun 21, 2017 - 12:56 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte signs an executive order that bans private citizens from staging fireworks displays at their homes

Many Metro Manila cities 'severely polluted' during early hours of 2017

Jan 04, 2017 - 7:45 PM

Initial reports from the DENR show that 6 Metro Manila cities registered extremely dangerous levels of PM2 5 at the start of the new year

File photo from Shutterstock

Firecracker ban, POEA glitch, Trump | Midday wRap

Jan 03, 2017 - 12:29 PM

Watch Rappler s midday newscast with Maria Ressa

#ThewRap: Things you need to know, January 3, 2017

Jan 03, 2017 - 11:02 AM

Hello Here s a roundup of news you need to know this Tuesday

Duterte weighs firecracker ban impact on 'industries'

Jan 02, 2017 - 8:02 PM

The President weighs considers the welfare that would be for the greater good of all Communications Secretary Martin Andanar says

FIRECRACKER BAN? President Rodrigo Duterte is weighing the impact of a firecracker ban on 'industries and laborers,' Communications Secretary Martin Andanar says. File photo by Rey Baniquet/Presidential Photo

#ThewRap: Things you need to know, January 2, 2017

Jan 02, 2017 - 11:16 AM

Hello Here s a roundup of news you need to know this Monday

PNP hails DOH for #IwasPaputok success

Jan 01, 2017 - 4:14 PM

UPDATED The number of fireworks related injuries is 60 lower than the 5 year average from 2011 to 2015

'RESOUNDING SUCCESS.' PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa is happy that the number of firecracker-related injuries was minimized this year. File photo by Joel Liporada/Rappler

Ubial: EO on firecracker ban will help deter indiscriminate firing

Jan 01, 2017 - 4:04 PM

DOH Secretary Paulyn Ubial also says once President Rodrigo Duterte signs the proposed Executive Order authorities would be able to regulate the use of firecrackers and reduce injuries

INJURED. Doctors and nurses at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Centre in Manila attend to victims of firecrackers during the New Year revelry on Sunday, January 1, 2017. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

DOH reports big drop in fireworks-related injuries in 2016

Jan 01, 2017 - 12:03 PM

UPDATED Health Secretary Paulyn Ubial says fears that President Rodrigo Duterte would harshly punish revelers who celebrate the New Year with firecrackers caused a remarkable decline in injuries

NEW YEAR'S EVE INJURY. Doctors and nurses at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Manila attend to a victim of firecrackers during the New Year's Eve revelry on January 1, 2017. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

DOH: 141 fireworks-related injuries ahead of the New Year

Dec 31, 2016 - 10:12 AM

A DOH official says the figure is 34 lower than the 214 cases recorded during the same period last year

INJURED. The DOH continues to monitor firecracker-related injuries ahead of the New Year. File photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

Eco group holds anti-firecracker parade in QC

Dec 30, 2016 - 12:28 PM

Around 500 residents and local officials join the parade urging the public to ditch firecrackers in welcoming the New Year

ANTI-FIRECRACKER PARADE. Barangay Project 6 officials and residents in Quezon City flaunt alternative noisemakers mostly from recycled materials to welcome the New Year in a safe and non-toxic way at an event lead by the EcoWaste Coalition on Friday at the Barangay Hall. Photo by Darren Langit

105 pre-New Year's injuries reported

Dec 29, 2016 - 4:47 PM

According to a tweet by Bureau of Local Health Development Director Eric Tayag 61 of the 103 fireworks related injuries are caused by the piccolo firecracker

NEW YEAR STAPLE. Victims of firecracker-related injuries seeking treatment. AFP file photo

#IwasPaputok: Firecracker-related injuries rise to 90

Dec 28, 2016 - 1:35 PM

Around 50 of firecracker related injuries as of December 28 were recorded in Metro Manila the Department of Health says

DANGEROUS TRADITION. A man injured by a firecracker arrives at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Manila early on January 1, 2014, after New Year celebrations. Photo by LeAnne Jazul/Rappler

IN PHOTOS: Groups urge end to firecracker use on New Year's Eve

Dec 28, 2016 - 11:14 AM

With pets in tow the Ecowaste Coalition and animal welfare groups appeal to Filipinos to choose a cleaner less dangerous alternative to welcoming 2017

PET LOVERS. Animal welfare advocates united to call on Filipinos to stop using firecrackers in their New Year's Eve celebration. Photo from EcoWaste Coalition

#IwasPaputok: 70 firecracker-related injuries as of Dec 27

Dec 27, 2016 - 2:45 PM

More than half of the injuries are caused by illegal firecrackers such as the piccolo

#IwasPaputok count: 2 girls, 1 boy injured

Dec 22, 2016 - 4:07 PM

The youngest victim so far is a 6 year old girl from Ilocos Norte who injured an eye due to an improvised cannon called boga

DOH drafting EO to limit firecracker use in PH

Oct 12, 2016 - 5:50 PM

Health Secretary Paulyn Ubial expects President Rodrigo Duterte to sign the executive order before November

'Sports terrorists' bring new chaos to Euro 2016

Jun 18, 2016 - 2:20 PM

Croatian and Turkish fans throw flares on the pitch in separate matches

FLARES. Supporters of Turkey react and light flares after the UEFA EURO 2016 group D preliminary round match between Spain and Turkey at Stade de Nice in Nice, France, 17 June 2016. Photo by PETER POWELL/EPA

DOH: 839 injured in New Year revelry

Jan 04, 2016 - 7:02 PM

Most firecracker related injuries are in Metro Manila

INJURED. A Filipino woman (L) waits for medical personnel as a reveler (C) injured from a firework accident rests at a government hospital during the celebration of New Year in Manila, Philippines, January 1, 2016. Photo by Mark Cristino/EPA

At least 458 fireworks-related injuries in 2015 – DOH

Jan 02, 2016 - 1:50 PM

An environmental watchdog also urges the government to declare an all out war against the piccolo the banned firecracker responsible for 78 of the injuries

FIREWORKS OVER FIRECRACKER. Still emphasizing its call for a total ban on firecrackers, the Department of Health wants Filipinos to celebrate the new year in the future by just watching public fireworks display. Photo by Mark R. Cristino/EPA

PH firecracker injuries, Dubai fire, New Year in Paris | 6PM wRap

Jan 01, 2016 - 6:49 PM

Watch the 6PM edition of Rappler s newscast The wRap

Firecracker-related injuries rise to 185

Dec 31, 2015 - 2:26 PM

Police says 5 civilians a soldier and a policeman were arrested for illegally firing their guns

NEW YEAR INJURIES. Filipino revelers injured from a firework accident queue for treatment inside a government hospital during celebration of New Year in Manila on January 1, 2015. Photo by Ritchie B. Tongo/EPA

Garin urges parents: Keep children away from fireworks

Dec 30, 2015 - 2:17 PM

Health officials say that 80 of firecracker injuries involve children

INACTIVE IGNITERS. Most cases involved children who picked up thrown firecrackers on the road.

Stray bullet kills 9-year-old girl in Bulacan

Dec 29, 2015 - 11:31 AM

UPDATED The girl who was hit by a stray bullet while playing outside her home is the first recorded victim of a stray bullet this holiday season

Firecracker-related injuries at 111, piccolo still main cause – DOH

Dec 28, 2015 - 2:25 PM

Health officials say majority of the incidents involved children and Metro Manila residents

NO TO FIRECRACKERS. The Department of Health urges the public against the use of firecrackers in welcoming the New Year.

No firecrackers! Palace urges Filipinos to greet New Year with noisemakers

Dec 27, 2015 - 2:14 PM

Most of the victims injured by firecrackers are 5 to 12 years old while piccolo remains the main cause of injuries

USE NOISEMAKERS INSTEAD. A Filipino worker glues designs to firecrackers inside a backyard factory in Bocaue, Bulacan on December 27, 2015. Photo by Mark R. Cristino/EPA

9 steps to keep pets trauma-free during New Year revelry

Dec 26, 2015 - 7:38 PM

Our four legged friends particularly cats and dogs suffer in silence as firecrackers and fireworks of varying intensity are ignited says PAWS

Animal rights advocates with their pets join in a campaign calling the public not to use firecrackers during the New Year celebration at the Ninoy Aquino Parks and Wildlife Center in Manila on December 29, 2012. File photo by Noel Celis/ AFP

Christmas and New Year stray bullet incidents reach 61

Jan 04, 2015 - 3:04 PM

In the incidents reported between December 16 2014 and January 4 2015 43 were injured by stray bullets while one was killed the Philippine National Police says

Malacañang ready to work with Congress to regulate firecrackers

Jan 02, 2015 - 10:01 PM

UPDATED The Malacañang is ready to work with Congress in crafting a law addressing the many firecracker related injuries reported annually officials say

 Photo by Leanne Jazul/Rappler