plunder cases in the Philippines - updates

Rappler's latest stories on plunder cases in the Philippines

ARTICLE FINDER

Napoles safehouse bid denied as DOJ re-evaluates her WPP coverage

May 10, 2018 - 4:18 PM

After 3 divisions of the Sandiganbayan denied her appeal to be transferred to a safehouse, Janet Lim Napoles is now counting on the DOJ to finalize her provisional Witness Protection Program coverage

NO SAFEHOUSE. Sandiganbayan denies Janet Napoles' appeal to move out of her regular jail cell and into a safehouse. File photo by Rappler

Suspend ex-SAF chief, 3 others over missing funds – complainants

Apr 25, 2018 - 8:11 AM

Complainants, led by a former SAF chief, had earlier filed a malversation and plunder complaint against the 4 cops over P59.8 million in unreleased allowances

FORMER SAF CHIEF. Benjamin Lusad (leftmost) is accused of failing to distribute over P59.8 M in allowances to SAF troopers. File photo courtesy of DOJ

Senate to probe unreleased P59.8-M allowance of SAF troopers

Apr 18, 2018 - 10:17 AM

Senate public order and dangerous drugs committee chair Panfilo Lacson says if true, the withholding of allowances 'constitutes a criminal or unlawful act'

Senate Hearing PCSO on February 12. Photo by Angie de Silva/Rappler

DOJ shifts tone on Napoles; doesn’t back her safehouse demand

Apr 17, 2018 - 3:58 PM

(UPDATED) Guevarra says he has no plans of meeting with Napoles’ lawyers. 'Why would I?' he asks, reflecting a drastic change from the style of his predecessor.

Newly appointed Department of Justice secretary Menardo Guevara talks to members of the media as he holds his first press conference inside the DOJ in Manila on April 10, 2018. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Fate of ex-SAF chief up to Albayalde now – Dela Rosa

Apr 17, 2018 - 8:30 AM

Albayalde himself knows the struggle of SAF troopers over their allowances as he was once part of the elite force

INCOMING CHIEF. Oscar Albayalde is set to lead the PNP starting April 12, 2018. Photo by Darren Langit/Rappler

Former SAF chief faces plunder charges over P59.8M in unreleased allowances

Apr 16, 2018 - 10:43 AM

Former and current members of the Special Action Force (SAF) file charges against former SAF chief Benjamin Lusad and other finance officials over nearly two years’ worth of allowances that were not distributed to police

ELITE UNIT. SAF troopers who were deployed in Marawi get a hero's welcome at Camp  Bagong Diwa in Taguig City on October 25, 2017. File photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

Napoles to Sandiganbayan: BJMP’s greyhound team harassed me

Mar 23, 2018 - 12:20 PM

Napoles submits a BJMP incident report as part of the requirement to prove there is a need to move her to a safehouse

Revilla asks Supreme Court: Do something, I’m the only one left in jail

Mar 21, 2018 - 4:37 PM

The former senator and now plunder defendant files an urgent motion before the High Court requesting for ‘interim measures,’ one of which is provisional liberty

STRATEGY. Former senator Bong Revilla huddles with his legal team led by veteran litigator Estelito Mendoza as they continue wit their strategy of going the Supreme Court route. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Revilla again delays trial at Sandiganbayan

Mar 06, 2018 - 6:10 PM

Former senator Bong Revilla’s lawyer, Estelito Mendoza, reveals their petition before the Supreme Court has been on the en banc agenda for weeks now, but the Sereno controversy bumped it off. The en banc agenda is supposed to be confidential.

PLUNDER HEARING. Anti-graft court Sandiganbayan First Division Associate Justice Geraldine Faith Econg grills the lawyer of Janet Lim Napoles during a plunder hearing on March 6, 2018. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Napoles loses another bail petition at Supreme Court

Feb 28, 2018 - 5:25 PM

Janet Lim Napoles does not succeed in using the main plunderer principle in this case

Alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles attend hearing at the Sandiganbayan in Quezon City on Thursday, June 15, 2017. Photo by DARREN LANGIT

Sandiganbayan OKs pause of Bong Revilla plunder trial until February 15

Jan 25, 2018 - 1:15 PM

If the Supreme Court does not issue a Temporary Restraining Order by February 15, the trial will have to continue

Former senator Bong Revilla attends hearing on his plunder trial over the alleged anomalous disbursement of his pork barrel funds at the Sandiganbayan on Thursday, Sept., 14, 2017. Photo by: DARREN LANGIT

Still no trial for Jinggoy Estrada; urges court to grant bail

Sep 04, 2017 - 12:15 PM

UPDATED The President knows what he is talking about being a prosecutor before says Estrada of Duterte who said he and Revilla should be granted bail

POSTPONED AGAIN. After a deferment of his plunder trial last July,  detained former senator Jinggoy Estrada's graft trial is also deferred to September 25. Photo by Lian Buan/Rappler

Lawmakers react to SC ruling on Gloria Arroyo case

Jul 19, 2016 - 5:05 PM

Here s what the country s lawmakers are saying about the acquittal of former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo

epa03344307 Former Philippine president and current Congresswoman Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo attends a session discussing a proposed reproductive health bill at the House of Representatives at Congress in Quezon City, east of Manila, Philippines. 06 August 2012. The House of Representatives on 06 August is scheduled to decide on whether to finally end the debates and pave the way for lawmakers to vote on second reading of the proposed bill. The reproductive health bill aims to make condoms and contraceptives available to the poor, provide educational programmes on family planning and offer sex education for pre-teens. EPA/ROLEX DELA PENA

De Lima on SC's Arroyo ruling: Why wait for change in admin?

Jul 19, 2016 - 3:40 PM

UPDATED What s happening? Why did they have to wait for the change in administration to issue that ruling? says senator and former justice chief Leila de Lima

COMPLIANCE. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima will be complying with a Senate order requiring her to submit a soft copy of pork scam whistleblower Benhur Luy's digital records. File photo by Jose Del/Rappler

Arroyo camp: Acquittal proves 'political persecution' by Aquino

Jul 19, 2016 - 1:06 PM

Lawyer Ferdinand Topacio says the Supreme Court ruling shows that the Aquino administration was merely harassing its political opponents to cover up its gross lack of accomplishments

Former Philippine president Gloria Arroyo (R) waves to photographers from a vehicle after appearing in court for her arraignment in Pasay City, suburban Manila, on February 23, 2012. Arroyo was expected to plead not guilty in her first court appearance since being charged with rigging the 2007 senatorial elections and faces life in jail if she is convicted. AFP PHOTO / TED ALJIBE / AFP PHOTO / TED ALJIBE

Gigi Reyes needs psychiatric treatment – doctor

Jul 15, 2014 - 6:01 PM

UPDATED Gigi Reyes returns to the Camp Bagong Diwa jail after a brief stay at the Philippine Heart Center

AT THE SANDIGAN. Former Enrile chief of staff Gigi Reyes submits herself to the jurisdiction of the court. Photo by Buena Bernal/Rappler

EDITORIAL CARTOON: How to end the PDAF blockbuster

Jun 23, 2014 - 7:30 AM

There is a way to bring the real issue corruption back in the game – if the government brings to jail even those who are very much part of this daang matuwid administration