Rappler's latest stories on telecoms
'Let us also be fair and not be allergic or raise alarm just because the foreign player is Chinese,' Senator Aquilino Pimentel III tells Rappler
Suspicions of cronyism, as well as serious national security and privacy concerns, deserve more than a passing glance from our leaders and policymakers
Sear and PT&T can still appeal the decision of the National Telecommunications Commission, but with a price tag of P10 million per appeal
The coming entry of China Telecom into our communication infrastructure serves the interest of a covetous neighbor that has wronged us so many times
A contest with a single qualifier, an exciting legal drama, and romantic promises. These and a hodgepodge of twists are perfect for a #TelcoSerye.
Chavit Singson's Sear Telecom intends to spend a whopping P540 billion, and promises 100% national coverage and lightning speeds, should its bid be considered
Chavit Singson accuses Dennis Uy's Udenna Corporation and China Telecom of 'misleading' the public
Tycoon Manny Pangilinan and other PLDT officials say the 3rd major telco player has a lot of catching up to do, particularly in terms of building infrastructure
Provisional 3rd telco winner Mislatel promises to blow away Smart and Globe with super fast internet and wide coverage – at a very hefty price
(UPDATED) Their group, called Mislatel Consortium, garners a total of 456.8 points out of 500 under the criteria
PT&T and Sear Telecom both need to pay a non-refundable appeal fee of P10 million, if they choose to file motions for reconsideration on their disqualification
President Rodrigo Duterte previously said he wants a Chinese company to be the 3rd major telecommunications player
The Manila Regional Trial Court says NOW Telecom may have caused its own request to become moot since it said it still wants to join the bidding for the 3rd major telecommunications player slot
The petitioners ask the Supreme Court to make the frequency available for other telecommunications companies
Rappler talks to NOW Telecom to discuss why it thinks it can be the Philippines' 3rd major telecommunications player
Manila Regional Trial Court branch 42 junks the request of NOW Telecom for a Temporary Restraining Order to stop the alleged 'money-making' selection process scheme
President Rodrigo Duterte's first pick China Telecom buys bid documents on Friday, October 12, to be the country's 3rd major telecommunications player
(3rd UPDATE) Smart and Globe offer free charging and calling stations in affected areas
If there will be further delays, President Duterte warns he'll invite interested parties to submit their position papers to him, and he will make his choice in 'about 30 minutes'
At least 7 foreign and 5 local companies are gunning to be the next major telco player
'Effective July 5, 2018, all Globe prepaid load, including those with denominations below P300, will carry a one-year expiration period,' Globe announces
PLDT chief Manuel Pangilinan says his firm does not see the need to share any of its existing network elements, including cellular towers
Globe President and CEO Ernest Cu also says Globe has allotted $850 million this year 'to improve its data network and address the increasing demand in video streaming and gaming'
The Ayala-led company says the creation of an independent cell tower firm would significantly reduce the time needed for a new player to roll out
(3rd UPDATE) Globe announces past 4 pm that they have restored their system for prepaid and Globe at Home users. Postpaid and platinum users will continue to experience 'intermittent' mobile data.
GCash and Alipay launch a new QR code for Chinese Alipay users in the Philippines, while Filipino GCash users would eventually be able to pay via their digital wallets in China, too
With the launch of Globe Gaming, the telco looks to repeat its strategy of building new revenue streams around specific content, similar to what it has done with music, videos, and live events
The partnership, the companies say, will offer gamers better access to local, regional, and global eSports competitions, as well as original content and exclusive programming
The committee, led by the Department of Information and Communications Technology and counting the national security adviser as a member, will help select frequencies for the new telco player
(UPDATED) But PT&T and Now Telecom say they are contesting the supposed outstanding fees, so these have 'no bearing' on their bids for the 3rd telco slot
Globe subscribers can call #77777 for free to have Shakey's delivered, and will eventually be able to pay for both in-store and delivery orders using Globe's GCash app
The net income of the Ayala Group's holding firm hits P30.3 billion in 2017, with Ayala Land leading the subsidiaries
The Department of Information and Communications Technology says the surrendered 3G frequency is now available for a new major telecommunications player
'In that way, mas madali buhay nila.... At kung meron mang binawas sa 'yo, 'di ka nag-opt in, puwede kang mag-complain,' says Senator Paolo Benigno Aquino IV
'Let us not allow our countrymen to be victims of theft,' says Senator Paolo Benigno Aquino IV as his committee is set to probe the 'nakaw-load' scheme
NOW Telecom is said to be among the groups vying to become the firm’s 3rd major telecommunications player, and it now has privileges similar to those granted to existing dominant players in the industry with the franchise extension
Globe president Ernest Cu also says the firm is looking at divesting all or part of its tower assets to independent tower companies
The PCC will have to address the competition issues confronting the 3rd telco player, while the NTC will have to ensure that the new entrant will meet the required regulatory and corporate issues before it could penetrate the market and go full blast in its operations
A 2011 agreement states that the National Telecommunications Commission would bid out the surrendered Cure frequencies, with PLDT being given monetary compensation. President Rodrigo Duterte now refuses to give that compensation.
The Ayala-led telecommunications giant projects between $850 million and $900 million as annual capital spending budget until 2020
'We want to assure our customers that we have clauses in our contracts with partner content providers which penalize those who resort to fraud,' says Globe Telecom
It would take a grind of 3-4 years to settle the corporate and regulatory issues before the third player could operate in the local market, which is being dominated by the duopoly of the PLDT Group and Globe Telecom
The acting chief of Department of Information and Communication Technology (DICT) says these 3 groups will each be led by Converge ICT Solutions Incorporated, Now Corporation, and Philippine Telegraph & Telephone Corporation (PT&T)
The Department of Information and Communication Technology (DICT) has a tall order from the Philippine president: Launch a major 3rd telecom player by March 2018. Prospective entrants think the timeline is too short.
The telco and the oil firm identify an initial 14 Shell stations for their new partnership
Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar also says names of companies interested to be the country's 3rd telco player would likely be known by March
(UPDATED) The new rule applies to prepaid load worth P300 and above starting January 6. Load worth less than P300 will only be covered by July 5.
It would take 3-4 years before the 3rd telco player could operate, go into the market, and compete. The Duterte administration would be lucky to have it toward the end of its term.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque raises the possibility that China Telecom may find unacceptable the constitutional limitations on foreign ownerships of telco companies
"Energia specialists are analysing telemetry at their disposal," the company said in a statement, adding it was working to re-establish contact.