LEGAZPI City, Philippines (UPDATED) – Mia Meagey Niñura of Davao Region won the first gold medal in the secondary girls 3,000-meter event in the athletics category of the 2016 Palarong Pambansa here.
The 16-year-old trackster dominated the competition and not only defeated her long-time rival in NMRAA’s 3-time gold medalist Jian Calis, but also broke Calis’ previous record.
Niñura clocked in at 10:03.4, comfortably besting last year’s record of 10:10.6. Calis of Northern Mindanao finished second with a time of 10:07.8, also beating her own record. Camila Tubiano, also competing for Northern Mindanao, came in third at 10:45.0.
Niñura emotionally told the press that her parents serve as her inspiration in running.
“Kahit nag-iisa po ako, naghihirap pa rin po ang pamilya ko,” the only child of a farmer and a housewife said. (My family is still having financial difficulties even though I’m the only child.)
Representing Davao Region, Niñura is on her 6th stint in the Palarong Pambansa. But this is her first gold. She bagged 2 silvers both in the 2014 Palaro in Laguna and in the 2015 edition in Tagum City.
She will also be competing in the 800- and 1,500-meter events.
Niñura goes to Kapatagan National High School in Digos City. – Rappler.com
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- Who are the #FacesOfPalaro?
- Record-breaking runner from Davao gets offers from UCLA, USC
- Central Visayas athlete aims to make his overseas dad happy
- Palaro’s first PWD torchbearer shows sports binds all
- Leyte runner dedicates life to training in hopes of making PH team
RECAPS AND MEDAL TALLIES:
- NCR wins 12th straight overall Palarong Pambansa crown
- 8 records fall at Palaro 2016
- NCR cops secondary boys football title in heated Palaro final
- NCR trounces Calabarzon for back-to-back secondary girls volleyball title
- Calabarzon defeats Central Luzon to win Palaro secondary basketball title
- Janel Maraguinot, sis of Ateneo’s Jhoana, is Palaro Best Setter
- Negros Island earns bronze in secondary girls volleyball
- Central Visayas sweeps NCR to retain Palaro badminton doubles title
- Mimaropa bags gold in Palaro elementary boys double takraw
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.