LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – New place, new athletes, new coach, and new hope for Ilocos Region.
After placing last in the overall standings last year, Ilocos Region is back with renewed vigor in the 2016 Palarong Pambansa hosted by Albay province.
The delegation currently has 3 silvers and two bronzes after Day 2 of the national youth games, but is still searching for its first gold.
Rodel B. Ariola, an athletics coach from Samarra Elementary School, will be fielding in 3 12-year-old Palaro newcomers for the competition: Franz Guiller Mago from Santiago Integrated School, John Kurt Jandoc from Faustino Reyes Memorial School (Laoag), and Benver Ubungen from Pugo Elementary School.
Ariola said he was thankful that their training was funded by the local government for the first time.
He added that he is proud of his delegation’s eagerness to win the games. While he admitted feeling intimidated by their competitors, Ariola said the team is not letting it get to them.
“Naririnig din namin yung mga results from Western Visayas, NCR, so medyo intimidating pero okay lang rin. Ang sabi naman ng regional director namin: just do your best,” he said.
(We’ve also heard the results from Western Visayas and NCR, so it’s a bit intimidating, but it’s okay. Our regional director told us to just do our best.)
“We are just hoping for the best. Kasi ‘yung ang bilin sa amin ng regional director. Just do your best and I’ll be happy with it, whatever the result. Kasi challenge ‘yun sa amin,” he added.”
(We are just hoping for the best. Because that’s what our regional director said. Just do your best and I’ll be happy with it, whatever the result. It was a challenge for us.) – with reports from Mary Joy Gelit/Rappler.com
Mary Joy Gelit is a Rappler intern for the 2016 Palarong Pambansa and is studying at Bicol University.
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016’s fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
RECAPS AND MEDAL TALLIES:
- NCR wins 12th straight overall Palarong Pambansa crown
- 8 records fall at Palaro 2016
- NCR cops secondary boys football title in heated Palaro final
- NCR trounces Calabarzon for back-to-back secondary girls volleyball title
- Calabarzon defeats Central Luzon to win Palaro secondary basketball title
- Janel Maraguinot, sis of Ateneo’s Jhoana, is Palaro Best Setter
- Negros Island earns bronze in secondary girls volleyball
- Central Visayas sweeps NCR to retain Palaro badminton doubles title
- Mimaropa bags gold in Palaro elementary boys double takraw
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.