LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – Calabarzon and NCR are set to face each other in the finals of the secondary volleyball girls at Bicol Colleges Saturday, April 16, on the final day of the 2016 Palarong Pambansa here.
Defending champions NCR, which has yet to suffer a defeat, topped Group A in the elimination round after triumphing over Caraga, Central Visayas, and Mimaropa.
In the quarterfinals, the NCR hitters drubbed Central Luzon and swept last year’s finalist Davao in the semis to book a ticket to the championship.
NCR will rely on its height advantage and the excellent setting of Louie Romero.
On the other hand, Calabarzon dominated as they ruled Group D, trouncing their opponents in Central Luzon, Eastern Visayas and ARMM. They took out Cental Visayas in the quarterfinals and ripped Negros Island Region in the semis to earn a finals slot.
Janel Maraguinot, team captain and setter, will lead the charge for Calabarzon while the net defense will bank on Jamie Frago’s perfect timing.
A throng of volleyball enthusiasts and no less than the Department of Education Secretary Bro. Armin A. Luistro, FSC witnessed the thrilling games in the semifinals earlier this afternoon.
Davao and Negros Island Region will vie for the bronze medal Saturday at 7 am and will be followed by the championship match. – Rappler.com
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016’s fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year’s Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy