A-Rod among players named in doping report
MIAMI, Florida - New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez and other Major League Baseball players were named in a report detailing the records of a Miami clinic that allegedly supplied them performance-enhancing drugs.
Miami New Times published the report on Tuesday, January 29, based on records obtained from an employee at Biogenesis, a clinic run by Anthony Bosch, who was linked to Manny Ramirez when he was suspended for 50 games for doping in 2009.
Rodriguez, who in 2009 admitted taking performance-enhancing substances while with the Texas Rangers from 2001-2003, also said he had never taken such drugs since then or with the Yankees, but his name appears 16 times in Biogenesis records from 2009 through 2012.
New Times said Bosch kept handwritten notebooks and one with Rodriguez's name was labeled 2012 and said, "He is paid through April 30th. He will owe May 1 $4,000... I need to see him between April 13-19, deliver troches, pink cream, and... May meds. Has three weeks of Sub-Q (as of April)."
Bosch's notes outlined "troches" as a drug lozenge with 15 percent testosterone while the "pink cream" includes testosterone and the "Sub-Q" is a mix of drugs that includes human growth hormones.
Other notebooks linked Rodriguez to paying Bosch $3,500 for human growth hormone, a banned substance; as well as testosterone cream and supplements; GHRP, a substance that releases growth hormones; and IGF-1, a banned substance stimulating insulin production and muscle growth.
"The news reports about a purported relationship between Alex Rodriguez and Anthony Bosch are not true," Rodriguez said in a statement first released to the New York Post.
"Alex Rodriguez was not Mr. Bosch's patient, he was never treated by him and he was never advised by him. The purported documents referenced in the story -- at least as they relate to Alex Rodriguez -- are not legitimate."
"A-Rod", a three-time American League Most Valuable Player, is recovering from hip surgery. The 37-year-old third baseman is expected back as early as July.
But a doping suspension could wipe out his hopes of returning this season and might have the Yankees thinking twice about his future and his contract, which has five years at $114 million remaining.
"We fully support the commissioner's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," the Yankees said in a statement. "This matter is now in the hands of the commissioner's office. We will have no further comment until that investigation has concluded."
Texas Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz and Washington Nationals left-handed pitcher Gio Gonzalez were also named in Bosch's records.
Gonzalez, who led the National League with 21 victories in 2012, denied any doping, telling the Washington Times, "I've never used performance-enhancing drugs of any kind and I never will. I've never met or spoken with Tony Bosch or used any substances provided by him. Anything said to the contrary is a lie."
Bosch, 49, has never been charged by state or federal officials but the New York Daily News reported that Florida authorities and the US Drug Enforcement Agency have started an investigation into his activities.
"We are always extremely disappointed to learn of potential links between players and the use of performance-enhancing substances," Major League Baseball said in a statement regarding the Miami New Times report.
"These developments, however, provide evidence of the comprehensive nature of our anti-drug efforts. Through our Department of Investigations, we have been actively involved in the issues in South Florida.
"We are in the midst of an active investigation and are gathering and reviewing information. We will refrain from further comment until this process is complete."
The statement noted that three players mentioned in Bosch's records -- Melky Cabrera and Bartolo Colon of the Dominican Republic and Cuban-born Yasmani Grandal -- have been suspended in the past year by Major League Baseball for using performance-enhancing substances.
Other names listed in the records obtained by Miami New Times include Cuban boxer Yuriorkis Gamboa and US tennis player Wayne Odesnik, banned for two years in 2010 for allegedly trying to bring HGH into Australia. - Rappler.com