#Sochi2014 closing ceremony: 9 memorable moments
MANILA, Philippines – Despite being closely interwoven with Russian President Vladimir Putin's image and plagued by controversy in the build-up, the $50 billion Sochi Olympics ended in high spirits and bold praise Sunday, February 23.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach concluded the event in the traditional manner of looking ahead of the next Games in South Korea in 2018 and thanked Putin for delivering "all what it had promised." (READ: Putin declares Russia 'ready' as torch comes to Sochi)
"What took decades in other parts of the world was achieved here in just seven years," he said.
Here are some of the most memorable moments and performances from the packed Fisht Stadium as the XXII Olympic Winter Games came to a close:
1. Former IOC President Jacques Rogge, Claudia Bach, current IOC President Thomas Bach, Russian President Vladimir Putin, and double-gold medalist bobsleigh pilot Alexander Zubkov standing next to each other
2. Russia's gold medalist Alexander Legkov (C) celebrating with Russia's silver medalist Maxim Vyleghzanin (L) and Russia's bronze medalist Ilia Chernousov (R) on the podium
3. Children discovering an enormous library and dancing among flying pages
4. 2018 winter olympics host PyeongChang, South Korea presenting its performance after the turnover ceremony
5. Artists, clowns and acrobats performing with a circus tent raised
and reflected in a glass ball
6. Soprano singer Hibla Gerzmava performing on a floating gondola
7. A village floating upside down across the field of play
8. The three mascots of Sochi 2014, the Hare, the Polar Bear and the Leopard dancing next to children
9. Russia making fun of itself by recreating the incomplete Olympic Rings malfunction from the opening ceremony
– with reports from Agence France-Presse/Rappler.com
The extra mile
We are passionate about sports. Whether its a university, local, or international event, we aim to always to go above and beyond with our news, features, and analysis.
However, reader support powers our content. We ask you to take on the extra mile with us.
By joining Rappler PLUS, you will receive special editorial newsletters, industry reports, and invites to exclusive briefings.
But more than that, you will enable us to continue telling more stories.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.