This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
GENERAL SANTOS CITY, Philippines – Eight-division boxing champion Manny Pacquiao vowed to chase Floyd Mayweather into ring submission after his American rival offered to fight him next year in a blockbuster world title face-off.
“He (Mayweather) has reached a dead end. He has nowhere to run but to fight me,” Pacquiao told AFP late Saturday, hours after the undefeated Mayweather issued the May 2 challenge on American cable network Showtime.
The two were long-time rivals as the “best pound-for-pound” boxers of their generation, but the dream fight has never materialized to the disappointment of the boxing world.
“I will try my best to (make) this a thrilling and entertaining fight. But I doubt if he’s gonna engage me in a slugfest,” said the Sarangani congressman.
“You all know his fighting style. Most of his previous fights, if not all, induced us to sleep,” said Pacquiao from his home in General Santos City.
Should the fight happen, Pacquiao, who turns 36 on Wednesday, said he will do to Mayweather what he did to another previously undefeated American, Chris Algieri, who was knocked down 6 times en route to a unanimous decision win in Macau last month.
“I know what I have to do. I will chase him wherever he goes just in case he decides to run around the ring. We will devise a good fight plan against him,” Pacquiao added.
Speaking to Showtime in the US on Friday night, Mayweather, 37, said he wants his next fight to be against the Filipino star, claiming Pacquiao and his promoter Bob Arum have been “ducking” the fight.
However, the American nicknamed “Money” said – without giving details – that the expected richest fight in boxing history will only happen if he receives a much bigger share of the purse than his opponent.
In 2012 there was speculation that a fight between the two could lead to the first $200 million purse in boxing history with much of that money coming from pay-per-view sales.
At one point Pacquiao says Mayweather offered him a $40 million purse on the condition Mayweather would keep the pay-per-view money, which would have amounted to more than double what Pacquiao received.
Previous talks were also scuttled because Mayweather says Pacquiao refused to submit to random blood testing.
“Mayweather can get the amount he wants. As early as January this year, I challenged him to a charity fight. Until now, he has not agreed to it. So, money is not the issue in our fight,” Pacquiao said Saturday.
“This fight is about legacy, this is about making the fans happy and, above all, this is for the good of boxing.” – Rappler.com