This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
MANILA, Philippines – An old face from Manny Pacquiao’s past is adamant that the proposed clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. isn’t going to come off on May 2. And he isn’t blaming Floyd Mayweather.
Alex Ariza, who conditioned Pacquiao for many of his top fights before being deposed two years ago, tells the New York Daily News that he thinks the Pacman’s promoter Bob Arum has sabotaged negotiations for the fight that has been six years in the making.
“Bob Arum has been the roadblock, he has deceived the people, he has lied to the people from the beginning,” said Ariza, who worked in the Brandon Rios camp when he fought Pacquiao in 2013 and now works with Mayweather.
“It is deceitful, it is dishonest and it is sad because Bob Arum has made millions out of the pockets of fans and so to blatantly lie to them I think it’s disgusting.”
Arum, who heads the Top Rank promotional outfit, shot back at Ariza, who was at Wednesday’s Hollywood premier of Pacquiao’s documentary “Manny.”
“When a guy gets fired like that, he looks to blame everybody,” said Arum. “One of the guys he liked to blame was me.”
Speaking with the Denver Post, Arum assured once again that all of the terms had been agreed to between “everyone from CBS president Leslie Moonves and HBO chairman and CEO Richard Plepler, to Pacquiao and the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino.”
“We’ve signed off on every point. We’ve agreed to everything. But push comes to shove, there’s one guy to blame,” said Arum.
In an interview with DJ Whoo Kid earlier this week, Mayweather said that Pacquiao was earnest in his desire to make the fight but felt that it was difficult to make the fight with Top Rank.
“We’re going to make it happen though,” Mayweather said. “We’re trying, but it’s been extremely difficult dealing with Top Rank. And I don’t want to sit here and point the finger at Pacquiao and say ‘It’s him.’ It’s not Pacquiao, it’s his promoter.”
Arum contends that Mayweather is reluctant to make the fight out of concern of spoiling his 47-0 (26 knockouts) record. Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) is a left-hander, a stance which Mayweather has struggled with at times.
“There is one guy to blame. And that’s Floyd Mayweather,” said Arum.
“He doesn’t want to fight southpaws. The worst possible opponent for him is Pacquiao.”
Oscar de la Hoya, whose Golden Boy Promotions Mayweather has partnered with on many occasions in the past to promote his fights, told the assembled press that he felt Floyd was simply ducking the fight.
“If you ask me, I don’t believe that they will fight May 2,” said de la Hoya.
“I honestly believe Mayweather is scared to lose his undefeated record. A style like Manny Pacquiao would obviously present a lot of problems to Floyd Mayweather.” – Rappler.com