This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
LAS VEGAS, USA – Unbeaten fighter Floyd Mayweather dampened talk of a possible mega-fight agreement with Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao on Saturday, January 31 (Sunday PH time), a day after the Filipino star’s promoter said a deal was near.
Mayweather posted a message on his Shots account that said in part “While they continue to lie about making the fight… I’m just going to continue to travel and explore the world on my private jet. #FightNotMadeYet #Jamaica.”
Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum said on Friday that he was optimistic a Pacquiao-Mayweather deal for a May 2 fight in Las Vegas would be completed in the next couple of days, with only a few final details to be settled between rival telecasters HBO and Showtime, the rights holders for Pacquiao and Mayweather respectively.
Rumor site TMZ had posted a story on Saturday claiming “multiple sources” confirmed that the fight had been finalized, before posting an “update” saying that only the date and venue had been agreed upon.
Mayweather, who turns 38 on February 24, left England’s Amir Khan hanging for months until announcing on his birthday last year that he would fight Argentina’s Marcos Maidana instead.
Mayweather wound up beating the South American twice in 2014, but has yet to test himself against Pacquiao or Khan.
Talks appeared to brighten between the two fighters when the 8-division champion Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 Knockouts) and the 5-division champ Mayweather (47-0, 26 KOs) met at a Miami Heat game this past week before continuing discussions in Pacquiao’s hotel room later that night.