Nietes to face Fuentes next, but eyes Estrada for October
MANILA, Philippines - All signs are pointing to a third meeting between WBO junior flyweight Donnie Nietes and Moises Fuentes, whom Nietes holds a draw and ninth round knockout win over.
Nietes' promoter Michael Aldeguer tells Rappler that while he hasn't been formally informed by the World Boxing Organization that the 30-year-old Mexican will be named mandatory challenger Nietes, the promoters of both have already begun making plans for the fight.
It's an unpopular fight for Nietes (37-1-4, 21 knockouts), but one being forced on the 33-year-old from Murcia, Negros Occidental, Philippines after Fuentes (23-2-1,12 KOs) defeated another former Nietes victim Francisco Rodriguez Jr in a mandatory eliminator by split decision in December.
"Nietes knocked him out, it wasn’t like a split decision or a draw or anything like that," said Aldeguer, president of ALA Promotions. "If it was mandated, then we have no choice."
Aldeguer says he's considering a May 21 fight date at Cebu City Sports Complex - the outdoor venue which hosts annual Sinulog festivities - but wouldn't be averse to sending Nietes to Mexico, where he holds 3 victories.
The WBO's ordered mandatory bolsters opinions that Nietes has run out of interesting rivals at 108 pounds, but Aldeguer tells Rappler that he has had preliminary discussions with Zanfer Promotions, which promotes Fuentes, for a fight in October against another of their fighters - WBA/WBO flyweight titleholder Juan Francisco Estrada.
Estrada (33-2, 24 KOs) of Hermosillo, Mexico has made 5 defenses of the title belts he lifted off of Brian Viloria in 2013 and is generally considered the second best fighter at 112 pounds, behind The Ring magazine champion Roman Gonzalez.
Estrada, 25, has defeated a number of Filipino boxers, including Viloria, Ardin Diale, Rommel Asenjo, Joebert Alvarez, Richie Mepranum and Milan Melindo.
"We’ve started talking about Juan Estrada for Nietes in October," said Aldeguer, who added he'd like to do the fight at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., where he promoted Nietes' last fight against Juan Alejo in October 2015.
"We hope to work with Zanfer, they brought this up to me last year about doing an Estrada-Nietes fight and at the time we thought we’ll see. Nietes wants that fight but I know he’s not getting any younger."
A request for comment from Zanfer Promotions was not returned by time of publishing.
Nietes, who previously held the WBO 105 pound title, has made 8 defenses of the 108 pound championship since winning the title in 2011. – Rappler.com